Do You Utilize Your Microwave Or...

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MrsJones • Mar 7, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    has it become a part of your kitchen decor?

Our microwave is a simple one by Samsung with Defrost, Time Cook, Popcorn, Beverage, and Frozen Dinner functions. It also has the timer functions. I have used all but the frozen dinner function. So I have to say that if this microwave dies tomorrow I would have gotten the most use out of it.

Why spend the money on an appliance if you only plan to use it for one thing, convenience. I say use it to it's full potential and get your money's worth out of it.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely no way would my microwave ever become part my kitchen decor - in fact quite the opposite - as having used a microwave ever since they were first introduced some 30 plus years ago - its the one kitchen appliance that I would now never want to be without.

As apart from being beneficial in the sense that - they are a very cost effective means of preparing food - but as meals are easier and quicker to prepare - with less washing up - they save a huge amount of time too.

Which as the latter is an extra bonus for me - makes mine probably my most used kitchen appliance - as because I do a lot of bulk cooking - it gets used to its full potential daily - for anything from defrosting, making drinks/lunchtime snacks to reheating and preparing meals and almost always for cooking vegetables and fruits - particularly as - not only is the color, flavor and texture of food so much better - but as microwaving retains more of the nutrients in food - its a much healthier way of cooking too.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love my microwave too. It gets used all the time from popping popcorn, reheating coffee and leftovers, defrosting frozen meat and cooking frozen foods. I love it and I feel like if something has the option to be cooked in the microwave or over I would choose to microwave it rather than spend the time heating up the oven. It's quick and efficient way of cooking. I wonder what people did before the microwave?

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of food once it's been cooked in the microwave. I much prefer my stove/oven and donated the microwave a couple of years ago. I do love the space that gave me too lol.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind the microwave but to be honest, I like the taste and texture of baked or broiled foods. Cooking in a regular oven or on a stovetop is the only way to achieve a good sear, slight scorches, and carmelization. Even though microwave accessories have come a long way, it's only good for warming foods in my book.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    My microwave is definitely not a part of the decor. I recently had to get another one since my older one decided to not work anymore. I was not able to buy another one right away, so I had to use the stove to heat up everything. I did not realize until this happened just how much I used my microwave. It was like losing a limb. lol. I could stand it no more so I had to break down and buy one.

7. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    In terms of decor, no. I must admit I thought we were going to talk about using it for cooking, and I am avoiding that too. I would have to think that I would have to have a really cool looking microwave to feature it in any way, and up until now all I have had is the ugly ones.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well recently our microwave oven did die, so now we are doing without it. We steam our rice for rewarming our rice, we just put food in our pan again for rewarming leftovers too. One thing we can't do is pop microwave pop corn. I won't do the old fashioned way to have pop corn, so I just buy the packaged pop corn. We don't miss the microwave oven at all.

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like how you can save time and not have to wash a pan to reheat leftovers. I have stayed in some homes without microwaves and I can say that there were times where I wish they had one. I am just so used to them after having them in my home for 30 years.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I use my microwave a lot, because I bulk cook to save money, and whenever I am heating things through again I will always do this in the microwave as it is much faster than it would be to use the oven - as it would take 10 mins to heat up and then a further 30 mins to cook the food through. I love my microwave. It only cost me $30 and it has been an absolute lifesaver whenever I have wanted food on the go at any point.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used mine quite a bit. Once a long time ago, our stove was out, and I learned to use the microwave for a lot more things until we were back up and running. It's really about timing when trying to actually cook (as opposed to warming) with it. Not everything comes out good, but I did a lot of trial and error.

Now, I mostly use it for warming, but yeah, it certainly comes in handy for that. Mine has a reheat button that works nicely when you just want to gently warm something instead of having it actually cook more.

I'm not a fan of microwave popcorn. I prefer to use my air popper.

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use my microwave alot. I would say I use the standard high function like 95 percent of the time. The other settings are hard to set and I find them to be difficult to use. Most items that you make in the microwave utilize the high function anyway. If it requires another setting, I usually set it on high and just use it for less time.