Do You Visit New Restaurants or Favorites?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by nwitt • Apr 24, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I'm curious, when spending money on food and drinks at restaurants, do you prefer to visit new places or stick to your favorites? I would say that we mostly go to our favorites because we love them so much. But, I am willing to try new places!

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I will mostly stick to a favourite known restaurant. Occasionally I will end up in a new place, and it will either not be visited again or I will put it into rotation and frequent it quite a lot. I'm not the sort to try a new place each week, because I like to know that I will enjoy it, and I'll only risk it on the odd occasion.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I mix it up frequently.

I love trying new places, so I try to fit those in. If I'm not in the mood to risk bad food or a bad experience, though, then I'll go to my favorite. Or sometimes I just crave something from my favorite place and will go there instead of trying out a new place.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    We usually stick with the restaurants we know about and only try new ones based on recommendations from friends. Eating out is pretty expensive so it's not hard to imagine why we avoid new locations. If for example, a new type of restaurant opens in our city, the kind we never tried before, sure, we eat there to see what's the experience like.

5. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    We just tried a new place last night due to a Groupon (which was a gift for one of our birthdays) and we really didn't like it. Of course the menu was super limited due to the Groupon, which is to be expected. But the food was really so-so. After we paid, which was only tax, tip and for 2 alcoholic drinks, I whispered to my husband, I'd rather have spent more money at our favorite hole-in-the-wall mexican restaurant :)

6. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    We usually stick to our favorites. It seems like every time that we try a new place, it just isn't what we expected. We have a handful of favorite restaurants that we normally check out; I guess we're boring and in a bit of a routine.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also usually stick to favorites. Occasionally, I will go to a new place if I can see that they have food that I like. It's good to try new things but these days everytime I try new food from the grocery store, I end up hating it and I can't imagine a restaurant being much different.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just stick to my favorite places until I get tired of them. There's too many new restaurants recently that I feel exhausted just thinking of keeping up, but I do still frequent them since it's much more fun to experiment when I'm with my friends. For my own consumption, however, I usually just buy from my known restaurants and in turn some of them have gotten to know me as well and they always greet me personally when I walk through the door. Those types of restaurant are ones that I'll probably go to forever or until I move away or something.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd try a new place if they have an offer of some kind and out of curiosity I always walk into new restaurants to see if there customer services is any good. If they, by my evaluation, are good at their stuff, I wouldn't mind trying one of their cheapest meals.

p.s I don't eat out a lot so I'm not a loyal customer of any old restaurant. I pop in maybe once in two months and that's only if . . .

10. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I like to mix things up because I get the best of both worlds. Personally, I like to try new things but my family is more predictable. There are some things that cannot be duplicated but discovering new tastes and spices are what can make a nice outing better.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a tendency to get comfortable with my habits, which means I'll usually go to the same place over and over again. However, I love to try out new restaurants specially if they are easy to get to and if someone indicated it to me!

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to try new places most of the time, unless I know the place in consideration will probably suck. It does get to be a hassle though depending on who you hang out with though. I have some friends who are more easy going and like to try out new places as well, while others are total sticks in the mud, and only want to go to the same restaurant over and over and order the exact same thing. They get stuck on their ritual and there is no budging. On the rare occasion we do go some place different they make it a point to sulk the whole time and complain about everything. Personally I think that's pretty selfish, especially if the one, some or the rest of us may not like the place they only want to go to.

13. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I do both. I visit a new restaurant atleast once a month. Also, I've my set of favorite restaurants which I visit 2-3 times a month. I have an app on my mobile which notifies me whenever a new restaurant has opened in the neighbourhood and I go try it out.

14. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I make sure that I mix it. For example, if I go to eat out 6 times in a week, 3 of those will be at my favorite restaurants and 3 will be with those which I haven't tried. I really like exploring new restaurants and I like trying different types of cuisines as well. I also always take photo of new dishes that I see. Food is the only thing that I really splurge on.

15. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Although I'm quite adventurous at heart and I love to try out new flavors, I still find myself going back to my favorite restaurant because I feel that there's nothing like going back to a place you're comfortable with, plus the food of course, where you find utmost comfort.
    This does not mean that I will shut my options on other restaurants. I will just continue to patronize my favorite one until another restaurant's food, service, and value for money outperforms my chosen one.

16. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Well I don't really visit that many restaurants, but I do like to check out takeaway shops in the area when they open. I've got a friend who goes to new restaurants on a weekly basis with his girlfriend and I get a full run down of their experience the next time I see him, so it feels like I go to them even when I haven't!

17. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I don't mind trying new places but honestly, I prefer to stick to my favorite restaurants. I like going to restaurants and knowing exactly what I want. Not only that, by going to my favorite restaurants, I already know what the food tastes like so I don't have to worry about being disappointed with the food.

#17May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014