Do you vote?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by JosieP • Nov 27, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty straight forward question.. do you vote? A while back, it would have been looked at like I had two heads for asking and I likely will now too lol. But it is far more common today for people to just throw their hands up and give up the vote, so I'm curious what the numbers look like here. Are you one to say "If you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain"? Or one to say "If you VOTE you don't have the right to complain"?

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't voted for years but that's mainly because I don't live in my home country at the moment and haven't the right to vote where I am. I think people should definitely consider voting. After all, it's their right. That said, I don't think anyone should be forced to vote. Being forced to do anything like that feels akin to the dictatorial behavior of those we have been fighting against for generations.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm thankful it's still not mandatory. People are getting tired of seeing the same thing happen over and over again their entire lives. If we were forced to vote, would it even matter? Our choices are always between the evils. Lining pockets is first and foremost, the people don't even come in second other than to perhaps shut them up. I just think voters should take it easy on those who choose not to. They're awfully silly about the whole thing. Those of us who don't vote, don't believe in either party and when they all start throwing tomatoes at the one they voted for, we can sit back knowing we didn't contribute.. we knew. It would have happened no matter the winner.

4. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think forcing people to vote would get the desired effect. And isn't it an infringement on our rights ? I myself have never voted when I was in the US. Just watched Tom Brokaw and the map of the United States on TV light up blue or red. :)

5. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    I always make an effort to vote and I think that it is very important that we all exercise our right for our voices to be heard. Often times a lot of people complain when things don't happen to their satisfaction but when they have the opportunity to influence results they often don't take the chance or take those opportunities. Some people may think that voting really doesn't make a difference and that the results are read but I think that if you don't know for sure think you may as well exercise your right.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I know where you're coming from and many feel the same. But what do you do when you don't believe in anyone running? When you don't believe in how you're country is run.. not just who will do what to taxes and who will create more jobs yadda yadda. Who will finally figure out that the same old song and dance will never create REAL change? That our freedoms are slowly being stripped of us and we don't actually have a say in much of anything at all. It's not a matter of whether we have an actual choice in who gets voted in.. it's the fact that once they're in, no matter who, it's a full on circus. Most regular Joes.. without any concern but their country, would make better decisions than these clowns. We wouldn't agree with everyone, but you'd start seeing actual, positive change. I know it's not as easy as it looks lol, but this what I feel. We shouldn't exercise a choice because it's one of the few we have left.. not if it means going against your own beliefs.