Do You Wait To Watch Movies Online?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by ExpertAdvice • Jun 23, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    As technological innovations continue to surge to the top, the question becomes clear as to whether movie theaters are going to slowly become extinct sometime in the not-too-distant future.

I know that for several movies, I have made the decision to save myself the expense of going to the theater and buying a ticket, and just "waited it out" instead, simply meaning that I've chosen to wait till said movie comes out online, so that I can either download it or watch it on a legitimate online source. This, as you might have guessed, has saved me that extra "movie ticket money" and has allowed me to be completely comfortable within the confines of my "home space", lol.

So, my question to you is: do you prefer to still pay for the movie ticket and watch the movie at the theater? Or do you, like me, wait till it comes out, to watch it online?

Let me know!

[​IMG]

2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    The only movies I go to are at the dollar theater and only for the sake of my kids. I have an app on my phone that streams the latest movies and tv shows for free. It's all high definition and I use chrome cast to watch it on the television. So no, I don't go to movies often when I can get them for free.

3. Aasif Khan

Aasif KhanMember

Threads:
    I prefer to watch only those movies in theater, which provides a bigger cinema experience than the usual ones. Some examples are Godzilla, Jurassic World, Furious 7 etc. There is a reason why these movies are blockbusters. They deserve to be watched in a theater.

As for the 'normal' movies I prefer to wait till it becomes available online.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    The only time I pay for movie tickets is at the dollar theater or if I am going to a festival and can see rare indie movies. I do not like to pay $14 for a movie ticket. It is way too pricey here in Los Angeles.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I could wait but even if I wanted to my net connection is at times so slow that it would be impossible to stream a movie. For me, the way I save money is wait for the DVDs to be released. Then I wait a little while longer and buy used DVDs at half price or less.

6. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I do prefer going to the theatres to watch a movie, but only when there are discounted tickets. The prices are just too high right now. Another factor that I consider is how much I actually want to see a movie and if I think it is worth my money. Comparing 50 shades of grey with Disney's Frozen for example, I wouldn't waste my money to watch 50 shades at all. But Frozen, that is just fine.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the above picture lol. It looks a lot like some of the cinemas that we have here in the area of the UK that I reside in. Anyway, yes I'll wait until movies are available online before I will watch them. I don't really want to waste money going to see movies at the cinema when the prices are so ridiculous, when I could get a pirate copy of the movie, or simply wait. The only time I go to the cinema is when I fancy a night out with someone. But it could be anywhere, not just the cinema.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m another one who waits for the DVD. My Internet is less than stellar, so I can’t stream movies. But in any case, I don’t feel like I’m missing out by waiting. Especially as the turnaround times seem much faster these days than they were back in the days of VHS.

9. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Certainly! I only watch movies until either they are released online (via Netflix or Hulu) or are released in a digital format. I usually want to hear and read reviews from others before spending my time and money on the film. Besides, it's much cheaper to wait for the price to go down. Patience is a virtue after all.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wait there are so few movies that I want to see that I can not see paying for the amount of money the tickets now cost. I watch what I can on Hulu and Netflix.

11. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Mostly I do watch movies online. But there are two main exceptions. One is if a movie that is going to have spectacular visuals like Avatar, especially if they will work well in 3D. The other is of everyone will be talking about the movie like Jurassic Park or Avengers Age of Ultron. Then seeing it early is part of the fan-fun. I do still try and save money by seeing a matinee and (sneakily) bringing in my own snacks. Theatre food prices are cr-ay-zy.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    I couldn't actually tell you when the last time that I purchased a DVD or movie was, besides when I went to see Poltergeist at the cinema a couple of weeks ago, with my sister and my mother. I don't pay to see movies. I would rather spend my money on things that are more important. I usually don't seek out pirate downloads of movies either, but it the opportunity is there then I sometimes think that I might as well.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days, I always wait. Although I love going to the cinema, it's currently £7.50 a pop in my city so I just can't afford to go very often. It's such a shame that prices have become so prohibitive.

14. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    Going to theaters is no longer financially viable to me. Although, I might make exceptions to it when the movie I wish to watch is something I really anticipated to watch. I can also make an exception if I have a plan to watch said movie with a lot of other people or friends. Most of the time I wait until it is available online before I get to watch it. I have subscribed to a local Netflix equivalent for an online streaming site. Saves money in the end.

15. Takeshi Fujimoto

Takeshi FujimotoNew Member

Threads:
    I honestly have no problem with watching a movie on my laptop with a good pair of headphones, and even if you're not illegally downloading or streaming movies, it can save you a lot of money in the long run. But sometimes, when I do get my hands on a bit of cash, nothing beats the experience of watching a hollywood blockbuster film at the cinemas.

16. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I try to wait it out just because I don't want to spend the money. I mean when you think about how much it costs for a ticket and then food, it's a lot. I would rather just eat the food from my own home, and spend less money to rent it. In the long run, it can save you a lot of money.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to watch all blockbuster movies in theaters but honestly that was more out of boredom and lack of other options but now that I have plenty of other things to keep me entertained I find it less necessary to rely on movies so I only go to cinemas for special ones that I would like to see on the big screen. For other ones that I would consider only filler, I try to just wait for it to come out on home video or streaming sites as it doesn't even take that long to get released nowadays.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I sure do. I pretty much never go to the theater.

When I do go, it's for a special treat and it's usually with friends and for a specific movie that would be better on the big screen (like high action movies with lots of special effects). Otherwise, it's just not worth the money.

19. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I occasionally will go to a movie if its something I really want to see (like the new Jurassic Park movie), but for the most part, I'm perfectly happy waiting for them to come out online. As everyone already said, its just too expensive to being going to the movies even a couple times a month when it costs one person $25+ just for their ticket and snacks.

The pricing wouldn't be too bad if you didn't buy any popcorn or drinks, but that's also half the fun of going to the movie theater. What I've done the last few trips is go to Winco and buy a bag of candy and sneak it into the movie theater. Still get my movie snack for a fraction of the cost!

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    The only movie that I have wanted to go and see at the cinema - and I haven't felt this way in a very long time - is Insidious Three. But I haven't quit seen part two yet. I have seen part one, which I watched at the cinema when it was showing. I can't see part three without seeing part two first. It's one of the only movies that I don't want to ruin by watching a shoddy cam version.