Do you wash laundry in hot or cold water?

Discussion in Water started by Pat • Oct 4, 2012.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    90 percent of the energy consumed while running a load of laundry is used to heat the water, the average household opting for cold water washing eliminate as much as 350 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions annually. For most homes, this will amount to about $40 in savings a year.

2. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I agree cold water is best. But for us we have no choice any how. Our home was built in 1940 and back then most homes did not have indoor washer & dryers. When one was finally installed (when ever that was, we have only been here 6 years) only one water pipe is ran to it, cold water. Its ok its been for the best and I love it anyway. It saves money and washes just as good!

3. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I am guilty of washing everything in hot water and I just think the clothes are cleaner if I do in hot water. And the stains seemed to come out more easily, I just can't wash in cold water unless it's a piece of clothing that I really like and I have to care for it very carefully.

4. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I usually wash in cold water unless I happen to have some tough stains on some clothes. Aside from that, all of my loads are done in cold water. It seems to work just fine.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wash my clothes in cold water and I do a pre soak or pre treating spray on clothes with food spilled on them.
    My motivation for using cold water is to save electricity but it's also cool that it's good for for the environment.

6. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I have always washed in cold water. My mother said that it helps reduce fading. THe only time I use hot is when its something really dirty that needs sterilizing.

7. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    Most of the time we wash in cold water so we can save money. However, our kitchen towels and washcloths tend to stink even after a washing (we use unscented laundry soap because of allergies). In those cases, we wash in hot water and it takes out the smell and the germs really well. Another reason we wash in cold water is because when I wash in hot, many of our clothes tend shrink.

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    You asked if I do my washing in hot water or cold water? I am not sure what the temperature of the water is when you place your clothing in a washing machine. I do get my clothing ruined each time i take it to a laundromat as I never separate the colours properly. So stupid of me, but nonetheless.

9. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    We usually wash our dark clothes in cold water and our whites and light colors in hot water. Our towels and bed linen are always washed in hot water no matter what color they are. We also wash our underwear in hot water unless they are black.

10. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I wash most of our clothing in cold water. I prefer to do my own laundry instead of dropping it off at a laundromat. In the summer, I line dry all of our clothing.

11. valigil

valigilNew Member

Threads:
    i usually wash with cold water, but prefer washing under wears with warm /hot water.

12. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I'm guilty of using warm water too, but at a low setting. Somehow, it's just a thing stuck in my head that cold water won't do the job as well as warm water does. :(

13. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I use the apartment building's laundry room. The washing machines have been upgraded, but I don't really get to control the temperature of the water. My options are: HOT/NORMAL, WARM/NORMAL, COLD/DELICATE. So, I typically tend to use "WARM" for all of my clothes after separating them. I would love to do a normal wash cycle using cold water, but alas, it is only doable with a delicate cycle, which wouldn't help with the actual washing of non-delicates! I think when I move into a place with my own washer/dryer, I will use the cold water - and air dry a lot of my clothing. Right now, I don't have the option.

14. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I simply use what the washer says is recommended. We wash dark colored clothes in cold water because it doesn't deteriorate the color as quickly. We tend to wash light colored clothes in warm water.

15. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I just got a new washing machine yesterday :). After I put my head to trouble, I managed to install it, and I am very happy with it.
    It cost about 300$. It is a very economical washing machine and it consumes about 30% less water than an ordinary washing machine.I checked the specs on over 50 types of washing machines, most of them were using about 10,000 litres per year at a washing frequency of one wash at two days per year, this one uses 7450 litres per year at the same frequency. Also, it has an A++ rating on energy efficiency, so it averages about 30 KWH less than a regular one per year at the reminded washing frequency.
    There were other models cheaper, with about 50-60$ cheaper, but I did the math and in two years I will recover my investment because it saves so much water and electrical power. So my advice is to never go for a cheap washing machine, the medium priced ones are the best if you check their specs.
    Also, I washed 3 times with it today and I was surprised how much less water it uses in comparison with my old washing machine, and with better results. Also, I had medium dirty clothes and it washed them very good at just 30 degrees Celsius. Go for the economical washing machines, they are worth the investment!

16. catevanne

catevanneMember

Threads:
    We wash everything in cold and warm water, hardly ever hot water. I have read that water temp doesn't make that much difference. You can buy detergents made to go with all temperatures of water, too.

17. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    We keep our laundry dial set always on warm water. So I guess that could be consider a medium ground. We never wash anything in hot water.

18. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah cold water is the best i wash my clothes in cold water and it works just fine and gets my clothes the way i want them just like the hot water does and i actually do save a lot of money but not using the hot water.

19. jayjacinto

jayjacintoMember

Threads:
    It saves a lot to wash clothes in cold water, but we need to be cautious though as there are clothes which require us to wash in warm water as indicated on the tags.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always washed my clothes in cold water, since I never had an item of clothing that specifically required me that I need to wash it in hot water. Maybe if the item was bought in a thrift store, then that's the only time that I'll wash it in hot water, to kill the "germs" that came with it.