Do You Wash Your Own Car?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by gracer • Mar 5, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I remember when I was still a young girl, I would usually help my mom and dad wash our car. I always had fun doing so because the feeling is very fulfilling once you see the car squeaky clean and you know you're the one who cleaned it. Until now we usually clean our cars by ourselves because it not only ensures us that the car has been cleaned down to the very corners of it, it also saves us a lot.

Do you also wash and clean your own cars or do you go for car wash services instead?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have 2 cars, a small one for me and an SUV for my husband. With our old car, we used to bring it to a carwash - it is cheap here at less than $5 only. But when we had these 2 brand new cars in 2013, we ourselves did the cleaning and washing. Those people in the carwash cannot be trusted with being careful because we see that they even step on the seat in order to reach the roof. We have taught our housemaid the proper washing of cars although we do not allow her to wash by herself, she just provides us with assistance.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We actually prefer to have our car washed in the car wash shop. We have a van so it is really big and quite a hassle to clean by ourselves. Although sometimes, my husband's nephew cleans it so we just give him some reward after he does so.

I think the car wash shop does a better job at cleaning our car especially with the inside. There are hard to reach places where all dirt and gunk go. And they have a vacuum to get all those dirt. Whereas we don't have one and we have to clean them manually, lol.

With the car seat covers, we try to wash them once every few months. It's quite easy for them to get dirty since they are in lighter colour. That's why I have asked my husband multiple times that we should just purchase black car seat covers.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    That's the thing though, we also don't have a vacuum to suck out the hidden dirt and stuff from the innermost places of the car. It's one thing that I've been longing to buy but have never tried looking into. I wonder why. lol

Light seat covers look good in a car but it's really a disadvantage when it comes to the appearance of stains and looking dirty. It's really a big hassle especially if food stains and liquid spills frequently happen, you have to wash your seat cover every now and then.

5. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I have never washed my car, but that's because it bought it for $500 few years and am still surprised it's on the road. 90's Toyota's are some of the most reliable cars around and very easy to work on.
    Anyways I digress, we DO was my girls Jeep Liberty monthly or try too.
    We both have saved up many points over the years from gas stations, and what we do is redeem these points for free car washes! I did the math, and the car wash actually has the highest ROI for point redemption.
    If you have a nice vehicle, washing and waxing it can help to protect it, keeping it looking good and keeping the resale value high.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always wash my own car, because I just cannot warrant the cost of getting it done by someone else. Not only this, but it is also a waste of fuel to drive it somewhere, so taking the time to do it on your own at home is actually a double saving, which of course is a great thing indeed. All you need is some warm water and a vacuum cleaner, and you will be able to do pretty much the same job as the people who you would pay $10 down at the carwash.

7. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I'd have to agree 100% with what you said. I have grown up with Toyota cars and I must say the older models have stronger horse powers and more robust body parts. I remember riding a 90s Tamaraw FX once and I noticed how good it still runs on the road even in road terrains.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Back in the day I used to wash and polish my car by myself but nowadays I just take it to a car wash because I'm a lot lazier now and I prefer to save energy and time. Also, the price isn't that high so I don't think of it as being that much of an expense. I just try and get some work done while I get my car washed or I just play on my phone and I just try and consider that time as break time so I'm willing to pay a bit for it.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to.... But I noticed that I took a lot of time cleaning my car as compared to just bringing it to a car wash. Now, I no longer was my own car. I just bring it to a car wash once every two weeks. Its cheap, I get to do online stuff while they're cleaning my car. I still wipe my car in the evening to remove dust, but I no longer wash it.

10. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I sometimes do wash the car myself which saves me a few dollars and gives me a bit of exercise.However, there is a time which I have scheduled for it to be done at the car wash. At this time, it will get a more comprehensive treatment than I would be able to apply.

11. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    I wash it myself at a local car wash when it gets washed. A lot of times, I will just let the rain wash it for me. Where I live it is rarely dry and dusty for extended periods of time so my van does not get terribly dirty on the outside. As for waxing, that never happens. My van is 14 years old and keeping it running properly is my only real concern.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    We used to, but now that there is a drought in California, I want to make sure we are not wasting any water. We go to a local car wash that recycles the water and we get some savings on our gas. The was is around $6 and they don't vacuum the inside, but we do that if it is really messy.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a car, but my bro does clean his own car as well when he has free time, and I think it's more economical that way because he gets to save money.

14. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    We are not by any means "wealthy" - but I've learned something in the last few years because my husband is self employed. Everything that has a price tag can be considered from a "price per hour" point of view. Right now, my husband charges $200 an hour for his legal services. This doesn't mean that he's billing every hour of the day nor making tons of money. BUT. We have a housekeeper and we frequently pay a guy in the neighborhood to mow the lawn.

These are two things either of us could do... but the time we'd spend doing them is no where near worth the MONEY we can pay to have someone else do them.

I'm am all about buying myself time. We work so we can have the quality of life we want - which for me, means spending quality time with my family over household chores. If I enjoyed cleaning, I might do them myself, but I don't.

I pay to have my car washed also. There's a place on the way home from church that does a thorough job for $10 and it is always worth it to me.