Do You Watch Live Concerts

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by gracer • Mar 16, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Just recently, Madonna came to my area for a concert. The most expensive ticket cost about $1300. The concert was jam packed as expected since she has a lot of fans both young and old here. One thing I've noticed though is that most of the average people who watched the concert have sacrificed a lot just to be able to buy a ticket for her concert. Students had to sacrifice their allowances, average working class people starved themselves for months, some even had to borrow money just to come up with the required amount for a ticket.

I can understand the fondness of some people for their ultimate idols. However, for a practical person like me, I would rather spend that kind of amount on more important things especially at a time when times are hard and it's hard to make ends meet.

Do you also watch live concerts and would you also spend a big amount for a ticket to your favorite singer's live show?

2. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the last concert I went to was a lamb of god concert, and the ticket was free :D I entered a competition thing and won. I am lucky that way because I keep winning tickets and promotional offers. But, if I had to spend any money on them, I would probably not.

Except one or two stars. If they come, I'll spend the money no doubt.

3. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy attending concerts. Since 2008, I've been to like 50 or, maybe, 60 live shows of "big" artists. Countless times I've been to small venue performances by not much famous yet talented performers. Live music is awesome. It feels different. Much different from the studio recorded stuff.

On occasion, I do play it myself. I sing and play the acoustic guitar. Any performers here?

4. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    If you consider playing the keyboard a performance - yes I am :)

I actually lied in high school that I knew how to play the piano because I really liked this girl and she was in this musical play thing. But, I learnt quickly and just enough to get by without anyone noticing. Anyways, I realized then that I had a talent for music, but I wanted a lot more diversity, so I bought a nice big keyboard. In college I met a bunch of guys and we all started a band. It was fun while it lasted.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried to see madonna when she was in Canada. I'm not a huge fan anymore or anything, but the first album I ever bought was hers and she had a serious impact on the music industry in the 80s and beyond (and fashion and and and), so I've always said she's one I would want to go see before I die (or rather, before she dies lol.. I'm wondering how entertaining she'll be live when she's touring at 80 years old lol). Anyway.. I was too late. The tickets sold out in seconds and I was a fraction of a second too late lol.

As for live concerts.. that's one of my fave things to do. Especially outdoor shows...the vibe is amazing :) Nothing better than thousands of people coming together to show love for the same thing when usually everyone is fighting and being all around bummers.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only ever been to two live concerts before, and they are not really my thing. I knew it wouldn't be. It is kind of uncomfortable standing there for x amount of hours, and having to stand and listen through the songs that you are not all that fond of, instead of being able to forward or skip tracks, like you'd be able to normally. Plus, the two concerts that I went to were not for bands that I liked. I just went because I was invited.

7. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe that's why you didn't enjoy the concerts that much. Believe me if you went to your favorite artist's concert, you would definitely enjoy it a lot more.

8. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I think, you enjoy listening to something not very popular yet still actively touring the world and releasing new records = you should go. In this day and age very few people actually pay for the music they listen to. They would rather find the stuff online and somehow get a free download. It beats up artists so hard. There is a solid percentage of bands, usually young and talented, who broke up just because they can't handle the financial problems with pretty much everything.

So, if the band like that comes to your town and you really enjoy their music/what they do/who they are = just go. It may be the last time. Seriously.

Bottom line: support your favorite artists as much as you can. They give you 100%.

9. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with that. If you want to dom something for your favorite band or artist, do this - attend their concerts. I know the mathematics of concerts makes sense to most artists, and today concerts are really the only effective way for even the best superstars in the industry to make money. Their music may be free online, but the experience of listening to their music is not free and its not something you can experience sitting behind a 2d screen with crappy audio.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Perhaps. I mean I liked one or two songs, but having no previous experience with those songs, I could not sing along and whatnot. I am not one for lyrics in music anyway. Most of the music that I listen to is instrumental music with no lyrics whatsoever. But still, there is no getting around the having to stand through songs that you don't particularly care for, even when it is your favorite artists.

11. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Speaking of live concerts, I remember going to some free live concerts when I was still in my teenage years. They were mostly band performances and I must say that live concerts are indeed really enjoyable and exciting. The loud sound and the unity of the people watching are incomparable. Those were the only times I've watched live concerts. :)

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have but am not really in a position to pay To go to concerts. THere are plenty of free music events to take advantage of. ACtually the last real concert I went to was free. SIx Pence none the RIcher performed at our local mall.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've only ever gone to one live concert, but to be honest if I could, I would attend more. However, I would be very selective because I'd be looking for a 'real live' performance, none of that lip syncing business. There's a certain buzz and electricity you get from watching live performances over say a cd, providing the artist has talent.

I was all set to go to the Michael Jackson This is It show in London when he passed. I was prepared to do almost anything to attend and had my husband ready and poised over the computer ready to buy us tickets the minute we knew they'd gone on sale. The system crashed with the sheer amount of people scrambling to buy a ticket and we just couldn't get them. They sold out in a matter of minutes! I guess it doesn't help that ticket touts buy tickets for the most popular artists, then sell them for extortionate prices to desperate fans. That's the thing that puts me off trying to buy tickets; the whole hassle involved.

14. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Bad luck about missing out on MJ. I never watched his live performances but I am sure they were magical.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I can honestly say that there isn't one artist today that I would like to go and see live in concert. The draw and talent just is not there as far as I am concerned. Sometimes when I go to random bars with friends and such, there are bands performing live. If I hear a song I like, I ask where I can get it. But that happens very rarely. It can be fun to be in a space where there is live music with everyone loving it though.

16. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I used to love going to concerts and it was really the thing to do there for a couple years, but then again that was when I was a little younger and more into the social scene. These days I do not really get to many, but I do have one planned for this summer, so that should be fun. Maybe that will kick start me back into the habit of going to more shows.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Due to the venue being far from where I live, I haven't watched any concerts yet, eventhough I would have wanted to, like when Chris Brown, Blue and Linkin Park came to Manila. If the venue was nearer I would have bought the cheapest tickets to watch them perform.

18. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I love live music but the prices are getting ridiculous.
    Not just the cost of admission but everything is way over priced.
    So instead of going to see big named acts like Madonna, I opt to keep it local.
    There are always good musicians to listen to for free to local venues.
    That way I can instead spend a few bucks on a pint and a snack and still get my live music fix.
    Plus you never know who might make it big next!
    I have had the pleasure of seeing a few bands before they got big and famous.

19. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go to live concerts in person but when they have a live stream of a concert online for free or it's being shown on a TV channel I already have anyway then I'll potentially watch that if there is an artist that I'm interested in performing there. I can't afford the prices to go and see the sorts of bands that I'd want to see live anyway so that seems like a nice alternative to me. I might purchase a live album from time to time too, although that's not strictly the same thing as going to a live performance.

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a few free concerts in my town each year. Many are sponsored by some company and are often free. These are the concerts I attend. If I have to spend money to buy a ticket I wouldn't do it. Maybe that could be because most of the music I listen was made decades ago :) And to be honest I don't like this new crop of singers.