Do You watch tv soaps?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Jrh2 • May 17, 2014.

1. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I enjoy watching the soaps on television each evening but with busy lives it can be hard to keep up with them so do you like to watch the soaps or do you just not have time.

In the UK we have four main soaps on each evening, Coronation Street, Eastenders, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks and I like watching all of them when I have time (my favourite is Hollyoaks). I also like to watch the Australian ones Neighbours and Home and Away when I have time as those are popular in the UK. I think I probably spend too much time watching television!

2. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    I don't watch soaps, but I had classmates who were into them. Sometimes, I like to turn on the Spanish ones, the "telenovellas" or whatever they're called, and lower the volume and make up my own dialogue for fun. Have you ever done that on reruns or something?

I've heard about "Eastenders". It was mentioned in "Vicar of Dibley" and they did a special "episode" type thing with "Doctor Who" once. Is "Eastenders" good? What's it like?

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I used to, but not any more. I found the content just to unpalatable for me, and I'm not even a prude. I still watch quite a few shows but not soaps anymore. I have watched a few emmerdales but not at all frequently. I have to admit though that when I did watch them they were very addictive and it took quite a lot for me to stop watching them completely.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I love watching soaps but I don't have the time anymore since I have a baby. It's been a long time since the last time I stayed watching TV for hours.

But I have an external hard drive that is full of movies and soaps :D So my husband and I still get to watch everyday whenever we have a time to and while our baby is sleeping.

5. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I have no choice actually. The Family TV is on the wall right next to my bed and I can hear everything. The nanny we hire to baby sit my kid simply just can't avoid watching soap operas and I have to live with it. Its like she can't do her job without it.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't watched TV soaps for YEARS. I used to be a "General Hospital" junkie, but soon got over that show. To me, reality TV has overtaken the soap opera genre because real life (even scripted) is crazier than fiction.

Favorite Clip from RHOA this season . . .
    [video=youtube_share;lUkn3QnChtU]http://youtu.be/lUkn3QnChtU[/video]

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watched soaps growing up as a kid. My mom loved them. She even named me after her favorite soap opera star. I gave up soaps when I went to college. I watched them for a few weeks, but I gave them up because I had a heavy course load. I tried to watch them after I graduated from college. I was easy to pick up even though I hadn't watched them for years. I decided they weren't worth my time because they were so repetitive and predictable.

I think those court shows have taken the place of soap operas. My mom loves those too. I just don't understand the appeal.

8. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I watch a soap opera called "The Young and The Restless." My mom used to watch it when I was a child and I guess that I grew up watching it. Its not as horrid as some of the soaps now, with a lot of swearing here and there and rated PG scene. Its pretty decent and I like the storylines. There are many characters of course but they are always pretty fascinating. :)

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Soap operas are those 30 minute tv shows right? It's been a decade since I religiously followed one. Right now on cable there is this telenovela channel that airs Mexican soap operas and I watch it if I happen to catch it. I prefer to watch tv shows right now rather than watching soaps.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to watch one or two of these, but nowadays, I just don't have the patience or attention span to keep up with story lines anymore, so I mostly just stick to episode contained shows now. Either that, or I just watch whatever I like on Youtube, as I can have my fill of entertainment without getting lost just for missing one or two episodes. I don't even watch the popular scripted shows like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones anymore, though I am curious enough about BB that I may someday purchase the box set and marathon it if I find myself with enough time to spare.

11. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I heard of Eastenders but that was because I was listening to Cheryl Cole talk about it in an interview a year or so ago. I'm American and I haven't seen any of the soaps from outside of my country. I use to enjoy watching Guiding Light, Young & The Restless, and General Hospital. This was during my teen years. Now I can't find any show - daytime or primetime - that can keep my interest for longer than 15 minutes.

12. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that as I've grown older I find that I have less and less time sit down and watch TV. So the idea of actually watching the soap and being involved with the characters for me seems to be very challenging. I haven't watched the soap in over 10 years to be honest. The biggest thing for me at the moment is series. I prefer series over movies or anything else. I like to get involved in the series and have something to keep me entertained over a long period of time. I like getting into stories of the series. But soaps just take much effort and commitment for me and so I'm not really a fan of those.

13. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    I am not a big soap fan. They just don't make sense to me. I once tried to sit down and watch one but it was so confusing. The scenes jumped to quickly to new characters. My aunt, on the other hand, is obsessed with soap operas. When I was younger and I visited her for the first time I saw rows and rows of bookshelves filled with VHS'; they were all soap operas. She would record them during the day while she was at work, and I guess watch them when she arrived home or whenever she had the chance. I never did understand why she kept them all, though. Especially, when Days of Our Lives or whichever one it is has been on for over 20 years. That's a lot of VHS'!!