Do you wear clothes according to your body type?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by H.C. Heartland • Sep 15, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do!! I have a narrow waist but big hips, a big behind and large breasts. To some it might be their dream but it's hard to wear clothes with this body type. As my waist is very narrow sometimes shirts will go up and show my belly, so I need to be careful not to wear them too tight... Also I try to wear skirts or pants not too tight so that they don't accentuatr my hips. I tend to wear clothes a little loose but that still show my waist and flatters my body type.

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I wear clothes I can afford to buy and can fit into that I like. I'm a skinny guy, and the type of clothes I like best are loose fitting, not baggy or skin tight. The only reason I will wear skin tight clothes is if its something like Body Armor or a Halloween costume. I used to wear baggy clothes, but that was when I used to wear my brothers hand-me-down clothes as a child and young teenager. Most of the time, I'm wearing a tank-shirt and shorts.

Funny story, my brother being used to dorm living, use to wear nothing but his boxers around the house even when guests were over! He changed this habit after joining the Navy, but all those times guests came over and looked at my brother with a WTF face, always made me laugh.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, disappointment makes me gain weight too. But I find that the adrenaline of working out really helps my mind not dwell on the negative and focus on the future. Sorry to hear you got 'dumped' but I'm glad you had that happen instead of being stuck in a relationship where someone doesn't love you but is just using you because they don't feel like being alone. I hope you can find a way to regain your motivation to get back on track! Try not to watch romantic films, get outside, and maybe write in a journal. :)

4. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I suppose I wear clothing that is for my body type, but I don't pay a lot of attention to it. I wear a lot of t-shirts, sweatshirts, and jeans when I am not working. I just like being comfortable and I hate feeling awkward in my clothing. I usually just buy clothing used, on clearance, or on sale. I don't care much about wearing form-fitting clothing. I don't really like to stick out and I try to blend in as much as I can. I just feel better that way.

5. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    Before I had my son, I wore skin tight clothes. Now being a mom, I honestly have no idea how I was comfortable. The first year of my sons life, I honestly did not care what I was wearing. I only would dress up if it was something super important. Now that my son is older, I have gone through all my clothes and only kept the things that made me feel good or look good. The rest of it, I put up. No more tight clothes for me. It is not that I am fat, I just want to be comfortable especially since I do not work. I am way past my pre pregnancy weight. If I worked out, I honestly would have an amazing body but that is not what I am shooting for. What matters to me is that I look cute but am comfortable. If something special comes up, I do dress up but I would rather be comfy. I think it's honestly what that person at their time of life is going through. Before I would wear tight clothes and other things that would be stylish. Once you become a mom, all thought of caring about yourself gos out the window until you start sleeping normally.

6. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    Good for you. I admire your confidence. Being a plus size woman myself ( I really don't like to use the word fat) I tend to stick to the rules to a certain degree. As far as the cut is concerned, I don't like to wear something that I feel isn't flattering on me. I prefer to wear supportive clothing that holds everything in. But the again, I don't necessary wear "slimming" colors. I do tend to wear dark colors pants, but since I really love color, I can wear some pretty colorful blouses and feel good about myself doing so.

7. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    While I don't follow every single 'dressing for body style tend' I do like to think that I dress appropriately for the size that I am. I have always been a curvier girl -- which I'm fine with -- I am proud of my body -- I just like to keep it covered. Personal taste. I'm not a prude I just feel that dressing in clothes that are too small and that show off entirely too much is just tacky and shows a lack of respect for myself. I like to look nice and well put together and comfortable in my skin. So I dress in a way that conveys that.

8. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Er. I am not exactly sure what my body type is. I know I'm not quite pear or apple, but then I'm not sure -- it'd be like an unemphasized hourglass, maybe, or a box with a bit of sliding curves on the side? XD Honestly, I used to care and be very self-concious, thinkin I could not pull this dress or that color. Now, I just buy what I like and what feels and looks good on me, without overthinking it. :)

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, I don't think I've ever thought much about it, but I suppose in some sense that I do wear clothes that are made for my body type. I mean, I try to buy things that flatter or that at least don't detract from my looks. I guess I kind of thought that was what most people did. Except for the very few who seem not to give a fig what it looks like as long as they can wear it.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to, I'm short and a little hippy so there are things that just will not work on this body, they were created for a taller leaner person. It can be hard to find clothes that do not need to be altered. I have at times made my own clothes because I can not find clothes in the store to fit.

11. lefttowrite

lefttowriteNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a light build for a man, but I usually stay with sweaters and some fitted jeans/chinos/sweatpants.

I don't try to go over my range of sizes, just because I feel like it will look awkward to see a thin man in big bulky clothes. Makes my head feel small, :p But I've never went on the Small side, I've always been a medium-large depending on the store. I'm just thin so it's hard to find the perfect fit. However, lately many stores have been able to accommodate me, especially online. Stores like UNIQLO are perfect for a tall thin person and is amazingly cheap and durable.

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m a slim slight-pear shape, and I generally know the guidelines but I don’t always follow them. It depends on my mood. I do like A-line dresses or skirts with fitted waists, and they do flatter me best. However, sometimes I just want to show off certain, uh, assets so I’ll bust out the bodycon dresses or skirts.

I do prefer to elongate my figure as much as possible, since I’m on the short side. There are also certain things I just won’t fill out, so I tend to avoid those. So I suppose my answer is yes, I follow my body type guidelines in general, but there are certain exceptions.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't say for sure because I don't follow any sort of guidelines or rules as such. I just go off what looks good and feels comfy on my body. I always ask my husband's opinion, especially where I'm unsure. But I definitely know when something just doesn't work with my curvy figure. I've been gutted in the past when I've seen something I really liked but couldn't buy because it just didn't look good on me :(