Do You Wear Colored Contact Lenses?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by MrsJones • Jan 20, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I wore contacts lenses a few years ago but I normally wear Eyeglasses. Then colored lenses were not on the market yet for what ever reason. I don't know if colored contacts present a health issue having direct contact with the eyeball which is one reason why I would not take a chance in wearing them. I know a lot of women wear them and I wonder if some men have ventured to wear them too. Interesting to know and why you chose to wear colored contacts?

2. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I tried a pair sometime ago and I didn't use it for long because I think it does not look natural on me. I mean, I don't try to be self-loving, but I think I'm content with my current eye color. Also, if you tend to have dry or irritated eyes, you really can't wear contacts for a long period of time. It will be very very uncomfortable to wear.

I also would recommend being very careful in buying colored contacts. I know there are so many of them that are sold cheap. I would not necessarily trust that, especially that I actually put it on top of my eyeball! I would only buy my contact if I have to at an ophtalmologist.

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    No, but I've been accused of it more than once. One woman just flat out told me one time that nobody's eyes could be as blue as mine. People can be so strange.:)

4. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    My brother would wear contacts all the time. It was always so strange because he would get compliments as though they were his real eyes. I always found it funny.

5. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I always hated the look on colored contact lenses. They look pretty fake and it's obvious to anyone. I usually wear glasses and If I get contacts, I couldn't stand to get my eye color changed because of them. Probably a personal preference, but it's a big meh for me.

6. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't where them, I don't wear contacts in general because my eyes are too small for them.

My husband on the other hand did use to wear colored contacts and he wears contacts on a semi-regular basis now when he doesn't feel like wearing his glasses.

Not sure why he would wear the colored ones; he has the most beautiful eyes without them.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't worn one because I currently wear glasses since my eyes can't see clearly anymore. But come to think of it, I don't really like the idea of inserting something in my eyeballs, so I probably won't do it. I remember I had a friend who wore contacts and she kept on putting this liquid thing into her eyeballs every now and then so that it won't dry up. That just looks too fussy in my opinion.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I'd rather wear glasses than contact lenses. I'm pretty scared wearing the contact lenses. Besides I've come to be pretty comfortable with wearing glasses and I'm typically shy to go farther wearing colored ones. I'm simply contented with the complexion of my eyes. They are black.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just plain rude, more like! Sounds like you have gorgeous eyes :)

I have dark brown eyes like most Black people. I often want to switch it up and get some hazel contacts just to experiment and have fun with it, but I'm yet to do it. What freaks me out is when I see Black people go for Greens and Blues, and they don't quite pull it off. I just think, go for a colour that works with your overall skin tone :)

10. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    I don't personally wear color contacts as my eyes are already kinda picky about the normal contacts I wear; I don't want to aggravate them anymore as I recently had to clear myself of an eye infection as well. I have a cousin and a few friends who wear color contacts. Two of them have brown eyes and it's relatively easy to tell they're wearing color contacts as they're wearing unnatural colors (super dark/deep blue). I think it's pretty even if it does look a little fake though. One of them has light blue eyes and the color contacts meshes pretty well; I think the only reason her eyes look weird to me is because I'm used to her normal colored eyes and the fact that she got the circle contacts that make your eyes/pupils look bigger. I'm sure you can find some colored contacts that look natural, but I think a lot of people get them for the fun aspect of being able to change eye color like hair color and don't expect to "trick" people.

11. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:

I've never heard of the circle lenses so I went online and found this article. You might want to share this with your friend.

Why are circle lenses illegal?
    Unlike regular, prescription

, circle lenses cover a bigger area of the eye, extending past the iris and onto the whites of the eye so that the iris appears bigger and the wearer has a "doe-eyed," or Anime, look. In Korea, Japan, and other Asian countries there's a subculture that seeks to mimic the "Ulzzang" look of Anime characters (cartoon figures).

Illegally sold circle lenses bypass several crucial safeguards, such as a lens fitting and instructions on how to properly clean contact lenses. And since the industry is unregulated, the lenses may not have been cleaned or disinfected properly before sale, again raising the risk of eye infections and vision damage.

"Consumers need to know that permanent eye damage can occur from using non-prescription circle lenses," says Dr. Thomas Steinemann of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. "Personally, I have seen far too many serious cases in both children and adults from using decorative lenses. My most recent case was a girl who was only 12 years old."

12. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even wear normal contacts (I wear glasses) so I don't think I'd ever wear colored/decorative ones. They can look cool, but I still remember the story of the woman who bought a pair of colored contact lenses from a hole in the wall shop and ended up almost going blind because of it. It was years ago, but I remember them saying something about chemicals in the plastic melting or fusing with her cornea? It was a pair of crappy colored lenses from China, so it was probably full of poisonous chemicals. :confused:

EDIT: @MrsJones@MrsJones ; there is actually of lot of famous and semi-famous YouTubers who use circle lenses. Which now, with the info you just gave, worries me. Hm. Circle Lenses are a big thing in the "Kawaii" fashionista circles, and there are a TON of ladies and girls alike who wear them. Yikes. o_O

13. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    Oh my! I've asked her about how she chose her contacts and she did say she looked through various sites, looking for a right one. I think she even bought a few in the United States, in a physical store, so those should probably be okay. I know the eye doctor I go to also sells "natural" colored contacts by Air Optix, if i remember right, so there must be some sort of regulations regarding those. Anyways, she's typically very knowledgeable about cosmetic issues, so I'm sure she studied enough to be safe but I'll pass it along just in case. Thanks!

14. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I wore colored contacts everyday for about 10 years. Now I find that I would prefer to save the extra few dollars per box and get a better pair of eyeglasses. What I really should do is save that extra few dollars to get Lasik and wash my hands of the whole contacts versus glasses dilemma.