Do you wear fake nails?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Mayvin • Jun 10, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I use to have such nice long growing nails and lately they've been a stubby weak mess, I need to find some good vitamins to help but was thinking of using fake nails in the meantime. I see so many people wearing them but have read that they can be harmful to your natural nails. Curious to know which kind of fake nails do people recommend?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't wear fake nails. I have nice long nails. Even if I didn't have long nails, I wouldn't wear fake ones. I don't like the way they look.

Black Currant Oil or Evening Primrose Oil are great growing your nails and hair. Borage Oil is the best, but it can be expensive. If price is no issue, then go with Borage Oil for faster results.

3. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I don't wear fake nails. I find them quite useless really. People spend a lot just to put them on, but I think they should invest the money on vitamins and food to have them grow naturally. I have long nails myself. I remember going to a store and someone had fake nails on, they asked me to open their drink because they were scared it would break. I mean, if you can't do anything with them, why wear them at all?

I read that they can be harmful as well.

4. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't recommend fake nails at all they come off quite easily especially if they are shop bought or stick. Also the glue is damaging to your nails and that defeats the object of growing them. I would get some nail hardener to protect them from damage, Sally Hansen does a great range of nail products which includes Nailgrowth miracle and apparent "one growth wonder". Pushing them back and using cuticle oils also help them grow quicker.

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't wear fake nails as I worry about the damage they could cause to my real nails and I don't care for the look of long nails. Have you tried nail strengthener for your nails, or even wearing gloves when you do manual labor? Lastly have you made any dramatic changes to your diet that could be weakening your nails?

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't, but my cousins do. They are using it because it's easier. Fake nails already come with designs. The only thing they would have to worry about is putting them in their nails, but even that is also easy and only takes minutes. Unlike when they have their nails painted, it takes time and more of a hassle. But when they are attending formal occasions, they don't use it. They only use it for fun.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Not usually. A couple years ago, I could've said "ew, never," but my boyfriend actually likes the appearance of a French manicure, so occasionally I'll put on fake nails to achieve this look. I don't have any real recommendations, though. I just buy them cheap and do them myself...and re-glue them as they start popping off.

If you want them to last, definitely get them professionally done instead.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me it is not practical to have long nails as I work with my hands a lot. I don´t like fake nails or nail polish as they make me feel as if my nails can´t ¨breathe¨. My sister likes fake nails but tells me that she often gets yellowish discolorations that are hard to get rid of. I guess it would have something to do with the glue.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Do you know if she does them herself or gets them professionally done (and undone)? I know the yellowing bit was a huge concern in years past, but it seems like they have improved the glues and whatnot in more recent years, so I'm just curious.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never did. I actually like natural shorter nails, so I keep mine at a medium size and square shaped. I think they look better like that, and also they are easier to maintain and live overall. Long fake nails get in the way of many things. For example, I work in an office in front of a computer all day, and just typing all day with really long nails can be a hassle. So I'll keep my nails short and natural.

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't wear fake nails. I have a high stress level and to cope, I have a tendency to bite my nails. I've tried getting help on this issue but there's nothing they can do to help me. I use a couple of nail and cuticle strengtheners along with a few other nail treatments to try to keep my nails from looking so bad.