Do You Write Reviews On Ebooks You Buy?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by EditorsRHumansToo! • May 7, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    I often receive requests to write a review on each book I buy from Kindle. I feel guilty when I set aside those thoughts to forgetting and not writing them in the end.

It would really be good if I write those reviews and pass on the encouragement I get out of the authors' books they care to write for us.

Do you write reviews? Are you a published author? Do your books get reviewed?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have the time to write reviews for ebooks. If I got paid for writing about every book I read, I'd be only too happy to contribute my opinion. But, on the other hand, I have to say that I really appreciate the people who take their time to review books and movies. I often read them and then, after taking a consensus of opinions, I decide whether I'm going to buy a certain title or not.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I honestly don't because I'm not fond of going back to the site to leave a feedback, both positive or negative, although I have to admit I'd probably be more inclined to do so if I were to leave a negative comment more so than I would a positive one. Also, by the time I read the book a lot of time would have passed and I'd be too bored to return to the site but I do appreciate that not everyone is like me and they actually leave comments because I get to have better judgement when purchasing.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often don't get around to writing reviews, but I will do if I really liked it or really hated it. If it's in between then I don't bother. I've written a few to help other readers who buy the book, or a honest appraisal that may contradict the many glowing reviews that may have been paid for.

There was on book that was free (but others had paid for) on how to earn and travel around the world. ALl it contained was information to look for cheap tickets online, to couchsurf or look up local hostel, volunteer for room and board and to sign up on sites like Fiverr and to offer likes and follows on social media. The advice was useless and a waste of time reading it, even though it was free and many people appreciated my review as some said they had lost 30 minutes to an hour of their life reading it!

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I love writing book reviews, but not because somebody's asking for it, but because I just want to. I have a blog wherein I post all my book reviews. It's more of a personal thing for me.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Often I have not read the book and can not write a review for the ebook. I may have received the ebook free or I am waiting for later to read the ebook. I also receive requests to rate the ebooks I have received from Amazon.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll only write a review if the book I've read is so bad that I'd like to save others the need of finding out for themselves just how bad it is. There are some sites where people get free books to read and their "payment" for getting a free book is a review of the book. It's not so bad, since it does save you a bit of cash anyway.

Take a look at the site linked to below:

Many publishers and up-and-coming authors are willing to give you a free copy of their book in exchange for you writing an honest review of the book.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't, because I don't read them either. I may check out the overall score on sites like goodreads, but I mainly want to see for myself. Especially since you can't really trust Amazon reviews thanks to all the paid reviews and troll submissions.

9. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I write reviews in three cases:
    1) Indy authors - whether they're good or bad, I make sure I write about it.
    2) Traditionally published authors when I think the book isn't as good as previous ones by that author and potential readers need warning.
    3) If I'm being paid for the review or if I received a free book in exchange for the review.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't often write reviews on ebooks that I purchase, mostly because I don't purchase all that many ebooks. I search the web, usually, until I find a free torrent or download of the book that I want. But when I cannot find a free copy of what I am looking for, it usually takes me so long to read the purchased ebook that I forget to write a review for it even when I do eventually get around to doing the reading.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only review things, ebooks or otherwise, when I've had a negative experience with that product. People definitely read reviews, but you're not doing much to help someone if you only praise products and fail to point out potential shortcomings.

12. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I write both good and bad reviews when I can. I buy a lot of small business and writing books and want people to know what they can expect. I try not to be biased because I've been doing both for a long time but when the author gives the reader more than they may have expected or is lazy (or gives outdated information), I like to share with others.

13. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I almost always write a review. Since I have published in the past, I know how important this is for the author. And I figure, if I got the book for free it is the least I can do. It doesn't take that long and sometimes it adds credibility to you as a 'reviewer' and might benefit you in the future.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've realized that I need to start writing more reviews on the items I've purchased - electronic books included. Although it can be a hassle especially when you don't have enough time to spare, if you think hard on it, writing reviews will benefit manufacturers (as they strive to improve the quality of their products) and consumers (in making purchase decisions in the future). I've rated the books I bought at Google Play but am yet to write reviews.