Do Your Make Your Own Christmas Sweets?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by iamawriter • Dec 23, 2017.

1. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    The joy of making one's own Christmas sweets cannot be described. That aroma that spreads around gets one in a Christmas mood with carols singing in the background.

Do you make your own or buy them?

The image is the date and walnut cake I baked, minutes ago. 2017 cake.

2. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, the cake looks absolutely stunning and delicious! I do prepare my own sweets during our major festivals such as Diwali, occasionally a cake or two, but not as good as this one looks. I would really appreciate it if you could share its recipe!

3. Sharry Lee

Sharry LeeNew Member

Threads:
    I want to make cake by myself, but i don't know to how to it, any tips?:(

4. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    It is a simple recipe You need 225 grams of flour, 225 grams of sugar, 170 grams of butter, 110 grams of walnuts, 450 grams of dates, 4 eggs, one teaspoon baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder. one teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 200 ml warm water

Chop dates and soak them in baking soda mixed in 200 ml of warm water overnight.
    Chop walnuts. Sieve flour and baking powder and keep aside for 15 minutes, Beat sugar and butter add beaten eggs drop flour alternate it by date spoon by spoon, beat vigorously, sprinkle cinnamon powder add walnuts beat lightly. Line up baking dish with butter. Bake at 190 degrees c. for one and half hours.

5. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I have posted the recipe in the other box. You can follow it Have you baked anything before. You must have good baking oven too. What have you baked so far. I love baking and have baked several items including pizza.

6. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you so much for the recipe! It is so simple! Although this one thing is quite new and unusual about soaking dates in the baking soda water, is there any particular reason you do that?

7. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    The dates become soft and blend well with the mixture and that explains why the colour of my cake is chocolate. Someone even asked me if I had added cocoa in there. Also the well spread dates enhances the taste of the cake and keeps it moist as well.

8. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Ok, so that is to soak them well through and through! Yes, the cake does look really very chocolaty and yummy. I have saved your recipe and will certainly make it soon. I like the moistness in cakes but sometimes, they turn out to be too dry, your idea sounds good to keep them moist.

9. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Hope you will give it a try and post your results here The temperature is also important. It is baked at low temperature so that it does not get burnt. My folks and everyone else who visited us appreciated it mostly its moistness.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Am I the first for buying my Christmas sweets? I had everything this year Christmas cakes. both of them chocolate yule log cake a mini one and fruitcake plus gingerbread man cookies. This year I went bakery hopping to see what other bakeries gingerbread man cookies tastes like. Enjoyed bakery hopping and tasting the different gingerbread man cookies. I have been eating Christmas fruitcakes as soon as it was seen by myself at Walmart. Claxton's Old Fashioned Fruitcakes with lots of nuts was enjoyed and ran out right before Christmas. Luckily I went out on the 22nd of Dec., and found that Walmart restocked Claxton's Fruitcake. To my delight, I grabbed one and enjoyed it till tonight. I'll be dieting soon. I'm drinking my cider vinegar cocktails too. Happy and Blessed New Year 2018 one and all!

11. Recharde

RechardeNew Member

Threads:
    I like chocolate cheesecake, this is the first time I made the cake. I searched the video from the Internet, it seemed very easy,but the result was disappointed. B: well... I only can say there is a gap between ideal and reality.
    But the all process are very interesting, maybe I can do well in next time. Happy New Year Everyone!

12. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Your post says it clearly. You do not bake at home (lol) But do try doing it once. The aroma around teh house will bring in the Christmas mood and what better way than having carols in the background. We have been doing this from the first year of our marriage.