Do Your Towels Stay Fluffy?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hellavu • Jan 26, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    This is one that boggles my mind every time. I never quite managed to get fluffy towels-- I guess because I should dry them in the dryer rather than hang them to dry?

I know some people use Fabric softener, too, but I wonder if that is necessary. Softener is actually a bad bet for towels, as it decreases the actual capacity of the towel to dry you because of the softener residues or something.

Do you have fluffy towels? Do you care at all?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer a rougher towel, it helps to remove the skin when drying off. I may be weird but that is just me. The soft towels are nice but it is not that important to me, the towel being clean is more important. The fluffy towels look nicer when they fold and put away but how long do that last.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have one very large XL red fluffy towel. I really love the way that fluffy towels feel against my skin. But at the end of the day, nothing beats a rougher towel? It seems like it is more practical as far as what a towel is supposed to do. Fluffier towels will lose their fluff after some time too. Mine hasn't yet, but I received it for Christmas, so we'll see how long it takes for it to roughen up.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do prefer fluffier, thicker towels. They feel so luxurious and lovely on your skin! Mine seem to stay nice and fluffy, and yes I do use fabric softener on them. I haven't noticed them losing their fluffiness and thickness because of this. -and as I live in a very hot country where we hang washing on a drying line out in the open, they dry super fast :)

5. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that rougher towel helps shed old skin and all, but actually, for the sake of our body, it is better to use a scrubbing lotion, a loofah or any exfoliating sponge while washing than to rub ourselves dry, since that takes away the moisture of our body. Better to just softly sponge the water off, and then no need for lotion!

6. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    My towels start out fluffy and gradually get harder and harder. Listen Lushlala, you need to let me know what you are doing! I have tried fabric softener. Sometimes, when I leave them hanging out overnight, with the wind and the dew, they seem to soften. I can't relate to loving hard towels, I get the dead skin off with a loofah.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    As stated, using fabric softener is an absolute no-no on towels. You don't need a rougher towel to get your dead skin cells off, you need better towels. The rough, older towels are only in my home as a warning that I am getting down to laundry time and need to go do it.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually don't care for thick fluffy towels, they take up too much space in my washer and in my laundry basket and closets. My aunt bought be this huge set of Egyptian Cotton towels from JC Penney a few years ago, and I swear, two of those towels would fill up my entire laundry machine - I was blowing several dollars a week washing them, so I got rid of them. Now I stick with plain white bath towels from Wal-Mart or a dollar store.

If you are hanging them out to dry, of course they are going to be hard. I don't have the option of hanging clothes to dry since I live in an apartment, and I don't want wet laundry hanging in my rooms.

There are alternatives to fabric softener though, such as dryer balls. Some people say you can even make your own dryer balls out of tin foil.