Do your wives trust you with grocery shopping?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by polenksz • Aug 17, 2012.

1. polenksz

polenkszMember

Threads:
    My wife doesn't. Because I either forget about buying something or what I'm buying is the wrong kind. This happens even when she gives me a shopping list. She practically just given up asking me to do it for her. So my only job when grocery shopping is pushing the cart and getting the stuff that are out of her reach. haha

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    We do it together becuase if I don't go with, she will also forget the soda I like drinking. Vegetables is a neccessary for my diet and she don't usually eat vegetables so I have to choose whenever we go to the fresh meat vegetable isle. She once gave me a list of things to buy and she never really indicate how many and etc so I just bought each and from then we we go together.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I would never send my husband shopping, other than to the convenience store nearby if we've run out of something essential like bread or milk. He just heaves stuff into the cart without even looking at the price, so I have to try and retrieve it again when he's not looking, otherwise he'd spend a month's pension on a single weekly shopping trip.

He's a nightmare - the last time I took him with me, he put a load of fresh fish in the cart, and we had to eat fish every day for most of the week to use it up. He won't eat fresh food that has been frozen. I usually wait until he's doing something he's really engrossed in and then announce that I'm popping out to the shops. It's the only way to stay sane and stay out of the divorce courts.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm slowly learning that it's much easier to go myself or go with him than to send my husband shopping. Even if I write out a very detailed list, he will always come back without two or three things on the list, with two or three of the complete wrong thing, and two or three things that weren't on the list (or in the budget).

5. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    If I let my husband do it he'll go home bringing only junk foods and soda. Yes, he's such a child. I love him to death but I will never trust him to go grocery shopping.

6. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I would gladly give this daunting task to anyone in my family that would actually take responsibility for it. It is the most unappreciated household chore in the house. Well mine anyways. They seem to think the food just appears and prepares itself. I hate the drudge of going to the store, dealing with the parking, and the people in the store, just to wait in a long line, with a grumpy cashier waiting for me, to huff and puff over every coupon I give her. Then I have to shlep all that crap to my car and load it up. Then the real fun starts, of lugging it all in my house and putting it away.... Jeez I am exhausted just thinking about it. :/

7. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    My wife trusts me with the grocery shopping as long as it does not involve anything that requires any thought. If I need to get meats, vegetables or cosmetics, I will need to have her on the phone with me. I can shop on my own as long as it only involves items like soda, water, paper towels or cat food.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never used to let my ex do the shopping because we had different attitudes toward money. He always bought the most expensive products, priciest cuts of meat, never used coupons and didn't buy things on sale.
    It always made me angry to see so much money wasted that could have gone into our daughter's college fund or savings. Coupons are worth it. Sales are not a waste of time. Store brands are sometimes as good as the branded items and you don't need to have mass quantities of meat at every meal.

Don't even get me started on his informercial exercise machine purchases.

I have more money saved as a single mother than I did as part of a couple because his spending was dragging me down with him.

9. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Yep, she does. However, she doesn't trust me bagging the groceries. In her earlier years, she would bag groceries as a cashier so she thinks she's better than me when it comes to that task :). Other than that, we don't have problems when it comes grocery shopping.

10. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    My husband does most of the household shopping, but he also does most of the cooking. He grew up with a cooking mom, whereas 5 of every 7 meals I had were take-out growing up. He can cook good whereas I only have a few meals I have mastered. However, when I have a meal and make a list specially tailored to it, I never try to send DH, because 90% of the time, he forgets something and it is usually something I really needed. For every day shopping, though, my husband goes alone or we go together.

11. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Well, as much as I love him I would have to say no I don't trust him to do the shopping. But he also gets annoyed being in the supermarket and is someone who would be on the phone with me for just about every item on the list because he would get something wrong on the list! He doesn't cook and doesn't know how to cook so he doesn't know the first thing about meats, vegetables or other stuff. On the same note tho, he has to come with me to the store when we need stuff for him (soap, razors, etc) because I can never remember which ones he likes and which ones work the best. Guaranteed I will get the wrong items that he needs, so we kind of even out!