Does Anyone Ever Buy Music?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by suegiplaye • Jul 20, 2015.

1. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    With all of the music that is being leaked on YouTube and social media sites I was wondering does anyone still buy music? I honestly don't . I don't see myself buying music anytime soon. I always listen to entire Cd's on YouTube a couple weeks after they get released. I feel bad for the singers of today. But I am sure they make money from concerts.

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I typically look for new music on YouTube or Spotify. If I like a song or album I will then go out and buy the CD though. Yes, I still buy CDs rather than downloads. I like to be able to have a copy of the real thing rather than something digital personally. I like to be able to listen to music when I don't have an internet connection and be able to take the music with me. I know I could do this with digital downloads as well but I guess I can be a bit old school in liking the CDs!

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of all the low-quality music being made these days. I do not seek out new songs nor listen to them if I can avoid it. If I want to listen to music, I'll search for an old song I like on youtube and if I can't find it, I move on and listen any other old song which is just as good. So, no, I don't buy music anymore.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Music is so readily available online that it makes it difficult to want to buy any. On occasion I still do, but it’s more out of loyalty to certain bands than anything. Though I do have to say, I’m glad I kept the majority of my old CDs because I do still listen to them in the car. I just don’t buy them as often as I used to back in the day.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will watch music on YouTube, but if there is anything that I want on my phone, I will always buy it legally through the iTunes service. The reason for this is because I feel as though I want to support the music industry, and one of the best ways that I am able to do this is by paying for the music that I would like to own. It doesn't cost all that much at all, yet I am then able to listen to the track as many times as I like. I find that music is good value for money, so if I want to own it, I do indeed pay for it.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't tell you the last time that I purchased music. Actually, I now the time, but I don't know the date. I just know that it was over three years ago. There was a song that I heard, and I couldn't find it anywhere, but on the music website that I initially heard it. I looked high and low online to find it, and couldn't. So eventually I purchased it. It was worthy the money. Other than that, I don't have a reason to purchase music. it is easily available for free.

7. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I still buy some CDs particularly the classical music. I do not need a large library of CDs for it, but I might be buying some in the future. I might buy more digital versions via online stores, especially if I support the artist. If I did hear the song anywhere and I really like it, I would buy it too. It is pretty much free now, but I want to still support artists and their creativity.

8. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Yes, I do! I still buy CDs because I prefer listening to them in my car over the radio so I don't have to deal with ads. I'd say I buy at least one CD every month. I also buy music off of iTunes on my phone so I can have music to listen to wherever I go and not have to worry about data or reception.

9. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    Interesting. It is very interesting to see that a lot of people are still very old school. I do not buy CD's I just feel like they are so 90's. In this day and age technology affords us the chance to listen to music online for free. But to each his own, I guess.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time that I bought music cd's was last 2004, those were the albums of Blue, a boy band that I really liked. Nowadays I don't buy cd's anymore, because they're quite expensive at $10 to $12 each, while you can just download the whole album online for free.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Talking about CDs, I cannot tell you the last time that I purchased one. All of the CDs that I have handled within the last eight years or so, since moving house, have been CDs that I have burned off of my computer. I am much more likely to find an album online, download it, and then burn the entire album to a CD, over purchasing an album.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to buy CD's for their artistic covers, and the fact that I can just lean back and read the lyrics on paper instead of on a screen. It relaxes me. Since I work all day in front of a computer, I like to spend as little time as possible with electronic gadgets in my spare time, and that includes my smartphone and tablet.
    Obviously, I also download music for free from the internet if I can't find it on i-tunes. I like to listen to foreign music and little known bands whose songs often aren't easy to find.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    There are certain videos on Youtube that provide lyrics too. But I understand wanting to read off of paper instead of a screen. I can also understand wanting to spend as little time with electronic gadgets as possible. I love to read, and I read from my smartphone most of the time. But I prefer to read from a book, especially at night.

14. GeeCee

GeeCeeMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I haven't bought a record in over a year, but not because I'm downloading music illegally. It's because between subscription services like Google Play and Spotify, there's no reason to buy any music, unless it's really good.

I think the last record that I bought was Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience. Other than that, I'm usually streaming music before I decide to buy it. There are some songs and albums that I know I need to get before I even hear it, but really, that's few and far between.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I'm the same way. I'm pretty loyal so I try to buy from that artist when I can even if I could download it on my phone for free. But I'm pretty indifferent about a lot of the artists I listen to and am more of a random song person so it doesn't happen too often.
    I think it's good that I kept my old CDs too because you never know when you might need to use them. Your battery could die out on your phone in the car (and I don't listen to the regular radio) and you'll be left with no music. I still have a portable CD player just in case. Even though I don't like to have a lot of stuff I do like to be prepared.

16. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    If I do actually buy music, it's purely because I'm loyal to the artist (similar to others). But, generally it's just a lot more convenient to listen to them online. Streaming is just far easier, and it does save a lot of money. Lots of the music I like is expensive, and I simply can't afford to buy that artist's albums. I want to, just it's too much for me to able to spend on their music.

When it comes to CDs, I haven't purchased one in years. I listen to almost all my music on my phone and my PC, and all my music is already downloaded on them. So there's no point in me purchasing a CD - it'll just be played once in a blue moon when I'm in the car.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't actually buy separate music anymore - you won't find me going to iTunes and buying an album. But I have been buying music streaming. I love Spotify, for example, and use them a lot. I do pay for the premium because I really think it is worth it. I have been wanting to try iMusic next!

18. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As music has easily been download for over a decade now and just about anything we want from full albums to individual tracks can be downloaded directly onto our music listening devices - either for free or paid for - depending on the artist, age of the album or track - kind of negated the need to physically buy it I'm not sure that there are many that still do.

However that said - although I haven't physically bought a CD in years - in fact its so long ago that I can't even remember what the album/CD or year was - I can't honestly say that I don't ever buy any music - especially as I'm often willing to pay the small download fee for a recently released album by a favorite well known artist - which although considerably less than the price of a CD is technically speaking - still buying music.

19. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I don't even bother buying music because you can just listen to all of them from Youtube nowadays. I feel bad for the singers as well but the truth is that their work is on the internet for absolutely no charge and that's the problem. People have lives and family to raise too. If they can satisfy themselves in the cheapest way possible, they will because it's always the better option for them.

For me, I'm usually listening on Youtube or downloading because it's everywhere honestly. Like the above commenter I haven't bought a single CD in years and don't plan to. There's no point because CD's and albums are such a hassle. Why bother with them when you can choose your favorites, download them and sort them with ease all on the computer? That's what I do. Haven't even bought a single track in years.

20. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a CD for around 10 years now. Everything is available for free these days so why bother? Plus, they take up far too much space and attract dust. In any case, musicians make the majority of their income through touring, merchandise and sponsorship.