Does anyone get kinda depressed/lost about Twitter

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Nickchick • Apr 10, 2014.

1. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know this sounds strange but here's the thing. I never intended on getting a Twitter. I haven't liked a social media site since Myspace was cool. However, I had a friend from another site always saying to me "why don't you get a Twitter?" She left the site and a while after I decided to get one and find her. When I said hi to her, she didn't seem that interested in seeing me. She was just like "oh yeah I remember you" So I made another friend and we chatted late into the night through DM. She even said that it was really nice talking to me when we stopped for the day and it just really seemed like we made a connection. All of a sudden the last things I wrote to her she wasn't replying like she usually did so we stopped talking. Maybe she just didn't like what I said but I got the vibe that it wasn't like it was. Eventually she unfollowed me. I now use my Twitter for reward programs but I feel like I should make a few tweets now and then so it doesn't look too spammy but everytime I talk on it, I feel a bit depressed. Sure once in a while people like what I've said (I've even got retweeted) but I don't really care about that. The fact that I thought I made a connection with someone when I hadn't felt like that in a long time and I was apparently wrong proves I'm not meant for Twitter. I have a few followers but we don't talk to each other. It just seems like a popularity contest and sometimes when someone says something negative to me, it kinda bothers me. Not that I care about what people think but I don't like the idea of being the center of attention so I wonder if my tweet could cause everyone to pay attention.
    You could say why bother about it? The internet is so big that you can find plenty of places to talk to but that's just it. Sure you have message boards like these here and there but in general, everyone's moved to Twitter and not only that it seems like many sites try to compete with Twitter.

2. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm the same. I really do not get twitter. I hated facebook as it just got all about other people's dramas or dream lives. Twitter is now the same and I hate it. I wouldn't have anyone to really talk to on twitter anyway.

However, I love instagram. This is probably because I have always loved taking photos and I see it as my own sort of journal of my life, through pictures. I love it and I miss being able to use it since my phone broke :( I'm now saving up for a new iphone, the iphone 6 hopefully :p

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Twitter can be fun, depending on how you use it. A lot of celebrities use Twitter as an easy way to stay in touch with their fans, so you might find that your favorites singer retweets a compliment that you gave them. If you are a fan of an artist, it can be fun to see what they did that day. As an electronic dance music fan, it was fun for me to see Calvin Harris' pancakes that he made himself for breakfast.
    As a video game fan, I have enjoyed seeing photos of Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid) on vacation in Europe.

I'm an animal lover and hate to see animals abused or dying in shelters, so I follow other animal lovers and have met some big hearted people.
    Try following other people with the same interests as you and see what happens.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I always say a little drama is good for the soul but Twitter seems to have too much of it and I'm really not interested in random people's drama. I just got an Instagram but I don't know why because I already feel out of place and bored with it. I can see why it's only for those who actually take pictures and I'm not much on photography.

I know all about the celebrities. I'm sure that's what it was originally designed for but I feel like people turned it into too much of something else. Also the thing is I like reading a few of theirs once in a while but that's really as far as I go and sometimes they can really suck at tweeting. I guess I don't like tweeting to the ones I admire most of the time because I don't like to bother them or I worry it could put me in the spotlight.

The character limit on there also bothers me. When I do have something to write about, I tend to write too much I guess.

5. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:

Yes, I an understand if you're not into taking photos that instagram would get boring because some people I know have said the same. I think it's only because I like taking photos that I enjoy instagram so much. I also find it a lot more positive than any other social media. I feel like it's people who are enjoying life who use it. Where as twitter and facebook seem quite negative.

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Eh, I tried Twitter but I never really found any joy in it. I don't like the idea of blogging about my life, and although some are able to rack up 100 tweets a day, I have trouble managing 10. To each their own I guess, but everytime I've tried the thing I've never made it very far at all.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Well, everyone of us has a different preference. As for me, I love using Twitter. I have more friends on Facebook actually, but I am way more active on Twitter. I love the privacy it's giving me, I could express myself more over there. It's actually pretty easy to navigate compared to other social networking sites. I absolutely adore it and would never think about ditching it for a new social platform.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    To tell the truth, I have not tried twitter. I have been there once and I do believe it is confusing. I do not think I love using Twitter in any way.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to tweet more often, but now because they can be public I have stopped. I use it to promote my blogs and also petitions and other news items and it's a quick way to network, but people are fickle and I gain and lose followers randomly.