Does anyone have a Sodastream?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by nherie • May 21, 2012.

1. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    I won a SodaStream Fizz in a contest and I am wondering if anyone here has one or something similar. I am looking forward to making Italian sodas in the summer! I've read that the syrups that they sell for the machine don't taste that good. Any recipes that you have for homemade syrups?

2. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    I've never tried them, but have been wanting to try one out. The few people I know that have tried it, says they like the syrup, but it depends on which one you purchase I guess.

3. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I've been wanting one of those, but I've heard the same thing - that the drinks aren't very good. How does it work exactly? Could you use Crystal Lite or Kool-Aid or something like that?

4. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I did buy one for my brother for Christmas but I haven't gone over to his house to try it yet. I've heard that the taste might be a bit off if you're not accustomed to drinking seltzer water. Last I heard there was around 50 different flavors to choose from so I think the only way you'll be able to find the one you like is to try them all. Luckily, they do sell sample sets.

5. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    I don't own one but have used on many times. There are a lot of flavors and some of them are just, well, odd. Not exactly what you would expect. If you go into it expecting something the same as the major companies (ie pepsi, coca-cola, etc) you may be disappointed. But I am sure you will find something you enjoy drinking given enough experimentation with the flavors.

6. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    Really want one for the summer as well, make some alchoholic italian sodas ;)

7. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    Apparently you can only use water to make the carbonation, then you add the syrup or whatever to the carbonated water. I read that if you try to carbonate juice or something other than plain water, it fizzes all over the place.

It works like this: You fill up the bottle that comes with the machine with tap water, attach the bottle to the machine, press a button or something and the CO2 canister adds fizz/carbonation to the water.

#7May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  8. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    This is what I've heard as well, the flavors are weird because they use the fake sweetener even in the non diet flavors. I've made syrups with pomegranate juice and sugar, then added bottled seltzer water, I could just do the same with the sodastream machine.

9. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    You can make a simple sugar with syrup and water just bring it a boil and then let it cool. If you add some berries you can flavor it how you like. I also love using lemon or lime.to flavor the syrup. I don't have a soda machine. I use the syrup for snow cones.

10. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    Yes, this is what I'll try! It would be cool to make a ginger/lemon syrup and make ginger lemonade. I'm getting the creative juices flowing!

11. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not own one, but my co-worker does. The drinks he had me try from it were actually impressive. It is even possible to duplicate red bull using one of the soda stream machines.

12. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I've seen these at some stores and I have heard that if you plan on tasting something that is similar to a Coke or Pepsi you will be disappointed. I guess its good for making mixed flavorered drinks but then again I am not sure just how cost effective this machine is. It seems cheaper to purchase the drink you desire but I guess it depends on how much you are making as well. Seems optimal for parties.

13. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I think they look cool but I do not drink soda so I have not purchased one.

14. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    That sounds good. You can also use syrups from marischino cherries and make a cherry coke or gingerale.