Does anyone miss the old floppy disks?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by andrew320 • Sep 19, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I noticed none of the computers today have a floppy drive. I understand how small these disks were, but they were convenience considering how you could add and delete anything you want. Although we do have the USBs today, they are still quite expensive.

Do you miss the floppy disk?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I certainly miss the old floppy disks. They were really convenient for data storage, and they packed away so neatly. My husband added a floppy disk drive to our last desktop, but I don't think you can even get them now. I don't really store stuff away from the hard drive now. I just use a USB memory stick when I need to move data from one computer to another. I know someone who can recover the data if and when my laptop dies, so I'm fine with that. Memory sticks are very cheap in the UK - sometimes, they give them as free gifts with magazines.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The title of this thread made me smile. Even though the diskette hold a lot less information that a USB drive or CD, I still miss them. Also, when I read or hear the words floppy disks, I picture old floppies that were 5 1/4. They really flopped. ;)

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    My computer still has space to read those disks. Undoubtedly, their usefulness is gone and are just a memory of a golden age of computing. However, they have some sentimental value. I grew up next to these disk. It's funny to think all programs are stored in one of them. Besides, it was fun to put the disks in the machine. The mechanisms have become more impersonal and require less effort. At that time, we could feel the information in our hands. Each era has its fetish ... In a few years we will be missing the pendrives. :D

5. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I had to laugh when I saw this thread. I just noticed a few days ago that a computer at my workplace had a floppy disk drive and I remember commenting on how ancient it was ;). But I do miss those little disks. My parents would get the multi colored ones and my siblings and I would fight over the colors we wanted (I always got the blue ones).

6. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Floppy disks were the latest technology in data storage back when I was a child! I'll never forget how I always sat beside my mum while she worked at her computer, snatching to insert or remove her diskettes whenever she had to from my sister! Like saizo6, I also loved those multi-coloured ones especially the orange ones from Sony. As much as floppy disks hold such sentimental value for me, I wouldn't actually miss them because of their functionality since they can only hold very little amounts of data when our thumb drives which are so much smaller can already store gigabytes of data. I guess perhaps a few years down, even our thumb drives would become obsolete!

7. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I think they kind of suck, but...one of the best things about the floppy disk is going to be The Oregon Trail so I can't really complain too much. If one of the greatest games ever created is good enough for a floppy disk then I can deal with it, they just aren't very practical.

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Many computers here still have floppy disks drives so they're definitely not as ancient as you may think. While I agree with Sandra that they were easy to store, they had such low capacity that they're now useless. Flash drives are smaller and can store a lot more info. But I lose them so easily, even if I keep them attach to my keys!

9. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Floopy still is put in computer today just because manufacturers follow standards but yes I miss it. Years ago I was happy because flooppies has the capacity improved to 1.4 mb lol and now I can't even see a usb with 512mb anymore :D

10. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I still have some of the Diskettes I used to store my Resume and Photos. My Computer also still has a floppy Drive though I don't use it. Good memories though!

11. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Not really. I don't miss them. I had loads of them that I had to throw away eventually. I remember buying an external floppy drive reader to transfer some of the data that was useful to me a few years ago, but I'm happier now with external hard drives with more capacity.

12. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Floppy disks are soo yesterday I guess. You said that they are convenient? Yes they are actually about 10 years ago. Back when regular files were just 10 MB maximum. Yes I miss seeing them but really I think now they will be useless. Sorry for being too harsh but it is just the reality. Sure that modern flash drives are a bit expensive but they are worth every buck in my opinion.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah no, I don't miss them at all, both the large, black ones and the smaller, harder ones. They hold a lot less info as compared to today's flash drives, so why would I miss something that has little use if you compare it to its newer counterparts right? Plus the flash drive is much more handy to carry around as compared to the those floppy disks. My pc also doesn't have floppy disk support, so you know it's obsolete already.

14. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really miss them at all. In this day and age, the standard floppy drive wouldn't last for more than a standard image file or two. I know people have sentimental value for them and all (and hey, my old elementary school still uses them to this day for some photos), but looking back, they hold so little space compared to now.

15. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I don't miss them. I like my usb drives. They are so convenient to travel with and hold more information on them. I really don't use that stuff that often though either with so many storage options out there, even just on the internet. I like the modern conveniences way better. It's fun to remember the floppy disks though as they were around when I was first using computers.

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't miss them one bit. I do miss having a drive for them, though, because I have some old disks that I would love to get the data off of them. I don't think flash drives are expensive at all. You can get some for 10 bucks even and they store a lot, so I see no reason not to use them.

17. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I do actually miss them in a way, they were kind of nice and didn't have to worry about them getting scratched up. It seems like they were easier to save things too, but I like the USB and cd's better for things like pictures and videos, and of course they hold more data then the floppy disc.

18. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    This is my issue as well. I like the over all convenience of the flash drive, but I have no way of getting access to my floppy disks any longer. A few of these disks actually have a book that I wrote stored on them, and as things stand I can't get to it, because my current lap top doesn't have a disk drive in it. Flash drives are great though, because they store far more then floppy disk ever did. I have just one flash drive and so far that's all I have needed. No telling how many floppy's I would of needed in comparison.b

19. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    It's looking like the CD/DVD drive is going to be a thing of the past soon as well. Apple is already starting to ship computers that don't include them.

20. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    No, I never miss them.. in fact that I am glad that they are not around anymore.. I used to handle a large amount of data back then and those disks would get corrupted often and put me out of business. When the pen drive and external hard disks became available I was the first to jump on the band wagon. I love these huge external hard drives.. I mean small extermal hard drives that hold a huge amount of data :)