Does anyone prefer public transit to motor vehicle ownership?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by fishbowl • Sep 23, 2013.

1. fishbowl

fishbowlNew Member

Threads:
    Where I live, public transportation can get me wherever I need to go within the greater metropolitan area (I live in Vancouver). I know a little bit about how to drive, though I would need more practice to be comfortable. However, in a city as expensive as Vancouver, I often find friends and family in financial peril because of car maintenance. I can't seem to convince myself that getting where I need to go quickly isn't worth the trouble. Also, I have somewhat of an irrational fear of being in small cars because of the risk factor associated with accidents.

What about you? Do you live in an area where public transit is strong enough to get you where you need to go? Or do you live in an area where driving is the only logical option?

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    While it's definitely cheaper (it might not look like it at first, but trust me, it is), it doesn't have the same type of comfort, or freedom that you can have with a vehicle of your own.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will never take public transit. It sounds snobby of me, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I don't drive either, so life is a bit inconvenient now that I live somewhere it's necessary to either drive or take a bus. All I can think of is the germs lol. It's not like a gym, where the seats and hand bars/rails are all wiped down after every use (I'm not sure how gyms think that's good enough anyway lol, but what can you do?).

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I unfortunately have to take public transportation at this point in my life but hopefully in the near future it will all be behind me. I absolutely can't stand public transportation because of the crazy people and just the mess and dirt around me. I would choose to have a vehicle of my own at all times.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you like to or need to get done during a day. If you like to read or need to work on something and your transit system is better than okay, then yeah, it's a great option. If it would be the same amount of time in a car, then I'll take the freedom of driving.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mainly use public transportation because prices of gasoline have skyrocketed during the past years. We do have a van but we only use it for instances when we can't avail of a public transport or when taking a PUV is very inconvenient. Both have their pros and cons though and I think in the end, owning your own vehicle is the best in the long run.

7. bonniea

bonnieaMember

Threads:
    It is a lot less expensive to use public transportation, but in many places it is really not available. The other option for reducing vehicle costs are using a scooter or small motorcycle. These are easy to get around on, great with gas mileage and a lot cheaper than your average car. Of course for trips a car is generally needed. For commuting a cycle can go a long way. If you work close enough to home a bicycle works.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with Sugarhill.

It all comes down to the circumstances. While I must owning your car can be convenient most of the time taking in consideration that in some places you'd have pay exorbitant high parking fees. If that's the case in the city you live in, then if the daily parking fees at a parking ramp is much higher than what you'd pay using public transport then the most logical thing to do [if you wish to save cash] is to use public transport.

9. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Owning a car is not simple like buying a mobile phone.

You have to take note that there are other things that you need to pay for when you own a car. Insurance, maintenance, and most of all, FUEL!

I own a car but I still prefer using the Public Transport (Train) especially here in Manila Philippines. You might be aware that Manila is considered as one of the worst cities worldwide when it comes to traffic. But yeah, I hate it when I have to take the train during rush hours because the smell is just horrible. Haha

I only use my car for short-distance travels. When I was still in college, more than half of my allowance goes to fuel. But once you have tasted the comfort of having your own car, you would find it hard to go back to public transport.

But then again, it all boils down to which is cheaper. Hahaha :)

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm too lazy to drive, to be honest. I'd rather take a cab and I don't really mind trains much if I really had to. The worst is when it's really hot outside, though, it's not too fun to battle it out with the masses on a hot day.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in an area where public transport is very accessible, so I use them. We also have a car, but we don't use it for travelling very short distances.