Does anyone still buy dogs?

Discussion in Pets started by Gelsemium • May 22, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We all know that are hundreds and thousands of dogs being killed daily in kennels, so if we want a dog we pick it up there right? Or are there people still buying them? If so, for what reason, what makes someone buy a dog instead of saving one?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    We don't buy dogs or cats, but we do for chicken. We have four cats at my mother's home that we saved when they were very little because someone else left them somewhere with hope that they will die or someone else to save them. They were very hungry that time and all were quite sick.

As for our dog they all came from previous dogs we have from years ago (our dog's kids :D). But if we ever find one that is abandoned by it's owner then we will not think twice to save them.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's really good from you to help abandoned dogs, I suppose that if I had a large property and some extra money I would do it too, but living in a small flat the most I can have is a gold-fish or a hamster, I would never have a dog closed in a flat, I feel that it's anti-natural. Also, I would never buy a dog knowing that dogs are being killed daily because no one wants them.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not fond of dogs, so I guess I wouldn't buy one, but if a person is looking for a specific type of dog then for sure he will buy dogs that have a breed. But I guess if a person is looking for a furry companion more than anything else, then I think they won't mind adopting dogs from the street.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy dogs. One of my neighbors is a breeder and I always get a puppy from him each year. I raise it for a year, give it back [so he can sell it] and get a brand new one. If I had to buy a dog I don't think I'd make the purchase more than once.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy dogs - friends sometimes give some of their dog's new puppies to me and I welcome each and every one of them. But If I have money, I would definitely buy a dog too. Maybe a chow-chow or siberian husky because I find these breeds very cute.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think about this all the time, whenever I go by a pet store and they have cute little kittens or puppies at the window.
    Why actually buy a pet when you can simply go to the kennel and pick one up, the kennel takes care of all health issues so that's not a problem, and you know you are helping a dog that really needs a friend, unlike those that were just bred with the goal of being sold.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It's their pedigrees. People purchase dogs when they want purebreds. So if they want a purebred lab...not a lab that might also be mixed with a german shepherd or something, etc, then they will want to purchase a specific type of dog to guarantee its bloodline.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Exactly, some people want a dog for the pedigree, some race that cannot be mixed, pure breed, but in my opinion that only happens with rich people that are willing to give a ton of money for a dog just because it's pure breed. What are the advantages really in having a pure breed? Social status? Nothing else occurs to me.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    But the people that want those purebreds go straight to a breeder, in order to unsure that purebred status, right?
    Where does that leave pet stores? Who is actually going in and buying a puppy? Is it just parents giving in to their kid's pleading as they walk past the storefront?

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    All our animals are rescues, but I don't have a problem who buys dogs or cats. Pets are a big responsibility and commitment, so you should be sure that the animal you choose is exactly what you want. You shouldn't get a rescue pet just because it's a rescue. You should get a pet because you fill a connection to the animal and want the pet to become a part of your family.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought my dog... I am actually a big believer in adopting and I have worked as a volunteer at an animal shelter before. But it was always my dream to have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dog, so when I saw an opportunity to have one for cheaper than usual I took it. I dont feel bad about having bought a dog just because it was my dream breed and my family has rescued countless other animals before so I kind of feel that makes up for it.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, I don't think you should feel bad about buying a dog, if you can afford it and you plan on keeping it, go for it. What doesn't make sense to me is people that buy dogs, sometimes even as gifts, for people that they don't know if they will keep them or not. Also, some people find really convenient to abandon their dogs before the summer holidays, really selfish!