Does Anyone Still Buy Dvds?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by SLTE • Sep 3, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be a DVD fanatic. Once a week, maybe twice, I would go out and buy any movies I thought were interesting and I knew were cheap. I now have a large collection of DVDs that, uh, range significantly in quality. At least I have plenty to watch.

Now, though, I barely ever buy DVDs. Netflix covers the majority of my movie-watching binges. My collection just takes up a lot of space where I could put, I dunno, books. Or something. Slowly but surely I'm selling them off and giving them away, and I don't feel any great urge to stop. It's sad, too, because DVDs are cheaper than ever, and if I could be bothered I would probably go hunting for deals again.

Opinions? Does anyone else still stick to DVDs, or has the Internet spoiled us?

2. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I will buy special boxsets/limited edition DVDs for things I really love. It's pretty rare that I do, but it happens maybe once every two years. Usually they are hard to find when they come out, so I end up buying then on eBay for inflated prices. I don't need them, I can watch them on Netflix/Hulu or wherever, but I like supporting my favorite things.

3. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    I have a DVD player, but I only find it useful for Redbox nights. Even then, I can usually find or stream the movie online. DVDs replaced VCRs and online streaming is starting to replace DVDs. It kinda makes you wonder what's next in terms of vehicles of mass media.

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The crazy thing about DVD's is that they are becoming sort of a collectible. It is very easy to just stream a show online. The crazy thing is I still like to physically hold a copy of a show or video game.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My internet is… well, spotty to say the least, so streaming isn’t really an option for me. That said, I rent DVDs far more often than I buy them, and I don’t anticipate that changing. I rarely watch a movie more than once, though there are exceptions. And I may also make an exception for certain box sets, but that’s quite rare as well. Over the past few years I’ve figured out it isn’t terribly important to me to own physical copies, unless it’s an absolute all-time favorite of mine. As long as I know it’s readily available to borrow/rent in some format or another, I’m good.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    DVD here is getting cheaper at $5 or even less during a sale. But the so called pirated DVDs are being sold for a fraction of that amount which is actually less than $1 in some ambulant vendors. It is very tempting to buy even if it is against the law. But fortunately, we have a season pass for the movies so we go to the theater when we want to watch movies.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol. The internet has spoiled me for sure. I cannot tell you guys the last time that I have rented or purchased a DVD. It has been years. In fact, I don't think that I ever have. I don't pay for any sort of video service either, such as Netflix or YouTV or anything like that. Not when all of the shows and movies that I want are available to download online for free.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The internet has definitely spoiled me. But I wouldn't be buying them anymore anyway.. the way I choose to spend my time is far different then when I was able to sit down to watch a movie. We watch them still, of course.. but rarely. When we do, they're downloaded *GASP!!* I might watch one before bed occasionally, but otherwise, I'd rather do other things.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy them, especially sets and series that are hard to find. Streaming isn't always reliable to be honest and if it's a classic and you want to watch it over and over, then a DVD is much better.

In some countries you don't get reliable wi-fi and having a DVD is a much better option. I also like the fact that most DVDs have an extras disc with a gag reel which I find more amusing.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also have a DVD player as we have a lot of DVDs that we cherish. I doubt we'll be getting rid of those ones any time soon. But I don't remember the last time we bought new DVDs. So yes, we're among those who've been spoilt by the internet as we now stream/download almost everything. It's convenient as these are easier to access and you also save on space.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy DVDs all the time. My internet connection isn't the fastest so watching a movie online isn't something that I would even attempt.

DVDs are cheap and they are much cheaper if you buy used. That's what I do. But saving money on movies doesn't stop there. Once I finish watching the DVDs I've got friends who also buy DVDs and . . . yeah, we swap. Saves me a lot of money.

12. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Nope.
    Haven't really in years.
    Well actually my girl likes to have the physical copy of movies she's into since they will have special features and other content. So I buy them a few times a year as gifts.
    But I don't buy them for myself or anyone else in my life.
    I can have a legit streaming service for the same price as a few DVD's a year.

13. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    As a movie junkie, I collect DVDs of my favorite movies. I usually buy them mainly because of the special features and behind the scenes stuff that they contain. This is not to mention the fact that if I have a physical copy of the movie, I can watch it whenever I want.

14. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I still have a collection of VHS tapes back at my parents' house. It's been mouldering there for years now, utterly neglected, lacking a working VCR, waiting to be thrown out. I'm wondering how long it'll be before they finally get around to ditching the things.

I didn't mind VHS tapes so much back in the day, since they were the only option, but man do those things take up a lot of space on a shelf.

15. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I really cannot remember the last time that I went out and actually bought a DVD. I mean these days you can literally find anything on Netflix and all the other video streaming websites out there. As a matter of fact I do not even have cable anymore in my house. I just do no think that it makes any sense to keep it if all that I will be watching anyway will be available on Netflix.

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I was never really big into buying DVDs to be honest. I would rent them from the library, but I rarely owned my own.

Now I definitely don't buy them. I really have no use for them for the most part.

17. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy DVDs anymore. Access to movies online is just so easy nowadays so i think DVD business might be obsolete one of these days. I think it's good for collectibles but that's it.

18. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy them that much. Like someone else said, it's only if I really love the series/movie. DVDs are mostly for special features to me. The other advantage is you can watch them without a connection and also sometimes it's hard to find the movie to stream so they're more accessible. I just would rather stream them sometimes because I can't be bothered to spend the money on most movies/TV shows. Also as much as I hate my cable company and their selection is spotty sometimes I can find a decent free movie/TV show on demand.

19. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only have a DVD (actually Blu-ray) player downstairs. I have two televisions up here, but neither has a DVD player connected, and my laptop is broken, so I don't buy many DVDs, since I have limited means to play them. I could watch them here on the desktop, but I try to spend as little time as possible sitting here, since it hurts my back. There are a few DVDs that I want, and will buy before Christmas. Of course, they're Christmas movies. I watch them on television if I can catch them, but I'd like to have them to re-watch at other times of the year, so I plan to buy them.

20. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    Special box sets maybe but not individual copies. I typically don't buy physical entertainment anymore. Most of the time I watch movies on Netflix, I watch shows on Netflix and I even buy my games online on Steam. Although there are times where I prefer having physical disks since I like collecting stuff that I love and cherished over the years.