Does Anyone Still Buy Dvds?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by SLTE • Sep 3, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will buy DVD's sometimes. Right now I am having trouble with a player even though I have several. My computer doesn't play DVD movies well. I am not sure what the problem is because I miss my DVD viewing extremely. I use Netflix but the problem is, there aren;t any quality movies on it.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a DVD since 2009, so that's quite a long time ago. I think in this day and age of video streaming and free internet, we can just simply download what we like online for free, and it won't clutter our house as well. I am in favor of downloading rather than buying DVD's.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Nope - in fact although my SO was at one time such an avid DVD fanatic - that I was beginning to wonder if he was considering going into the rental business - he had that many DVDs.

As movies and TV programs are now so easily steamed or downloaded and its even easier now that he has a media player - as he can watch almost anything he wants to either downloaded or streamed directly via the internet for free - I can't even remember the last time he bought a DVD - as there really isn't any need to - especially as - although this may be dependent on the laws of the country you live in - its not only way cheaper to save anything you want to keep onto a flash drive - but it takes up a whole less room too.

4. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I do but not all that often at all. I only buy them for my daughter if they're educational kids shows, or if I absolutely love a movie. But even then I probably won't. I have Netflix and can always rent them from Redbox too. I think the main reason why is because I don't like to have a movie collection of movies I've already seen and would watch over and over. I've already seen it, so move on. That's how I see it.

5. Joeka24

Joeka24New Member

Threads:
    I love watching movies online because it's a lot easier than going to the store and buying a dvd, but I would go out of my way to get the DVDs of my favorite movies. I'm a movie fanatic and aspiring filmmaker so the bonus features are always a great thing for me. I love watching the behind the scenes of how a movie is made, getting a feel of what the director was thinking for a specific scene (commentary), and even watching deleted scenes or an alternative/extended ending if it's available. If a DVD has all of that then it's definitely worth a lot more than simply streaming it online.

6. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    The only time I would consider buying DVDs is when they are on sale. Especially the collectible ones, such as Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and maybe even Star Wars. But I would never buy DVDs that aren't really worth keeping for a long time. I can always go to the theatre and watch them there. Besides, a lot of movie streaming sites are now within reach with just a tap or click. Honestly though, I don't think investing on DVDs is such a good idea at all. I prefer soft copies. :)

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a DVD for years now and have sold the ones which I did have. The thing is, I have no real need for them anymore. Virtually everything I want to watch is available online, either through a subscription service or via YouTube.

If you do have DVDs that you never watch anymore, it's a good idea to cash them in before demand drops right off and you end up with bags full that nobody wants, just like when VCRs became outdated.

8. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    We still have our old DVDs. They're now stored in a DVD wallet rather than their cases, which took up a lot of room. We don't buy any new DVDs though. We buy the digital copy through amazon that we can download and stream and we stream a lot through netflix. Eventually, I would like to get rid of our physical DVDs and replace them with completely digital options like we did with books.

9. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I usually only buy Blu Rays ofmovies I absolutely loved. The three I own are Inception and both How to Train Your Dragon movies. Aside from those exceptions I just rely on Netflix for my movie fix.

10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    We still do buy dvds from tike to time. We have a red box just outside of Walgreens. This means that there are still enough of a demand for physical dvds. I don't know if things like Netflix will do away with dvds completely but let's see what happens.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We still buy them from time to time if we come across deals where it's cheap enough. We still don't have a Netflix equivalent here or at least the one we have is still not as complete in selection so it's still a good idea to buy DVDs from time to time especially considering that our internet is not always stable and it takes a bit of effort and time to download if we chose not to stream and risk ourselves getting cut off in the middle of the movie. DVDs are still very dependable and very easy to use and as long as they are cheap enough I wouldn't mind buying them. Also it's nice to have a collection anyway just because it's something nice to look at and also it's very fun to choose what to watch or rewatch that way.

12. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    This is probably a good idea. Most DVDs won't get you much cash, but there are still a few gems that can net a nice amount of dough. I can think of at least three or four DVDs in my collection that I could sell for $40+.

I'm going to miss the days of used products once everything is digital, I really will.

13. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I don’t buy DVDs anymore because I just watch online and stream movies or TV series or any show. We have some old DVDs at home but they are just stocked in boxes and are not really used anymore. Because most of these are old movies and we have watched them already. I still see some DVDs in malls and video stores though, and they are either on sale or on promo or have a buy one take one offer, so I guess DVDs are not that much wanted anymore and few people purchase them. It is understandable because in this day and age of technology, almost anything could be accessed through the internet, including movies and shows.

14. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    This is took me off guard because I thought it was normal to buy dvds even with all of this available access to netflix, hulu, etc. I'm actually interested in making a horror movie collection because it's my favorite genre. Here at my local Walmart, they have a bin of all kinds of movies for $5 each which is a good deal compared to other movies being $20+. I also use Netflix which is amazing for vegging in front of the TV. I also get one disc sent to my house as well. So yeah, I buy dvds all of the time. Maybe once a week. And if I'm buying dvds, I'm going to my local movie store and renting dvds there maybe 2-3 times a week.

15. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I used to raid the Wal-Mart bin like a bandit when I worked there. It got to the point that I had too many DVDs, especially now that I'm living in a basement apartment with less space. I love the look of the collection, but past a certain point I needed to think more about quality, and not just quantity.

... man, though. That bin... so tempting...

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't tell you the last time that I purchased a DVD. I don't have or see any use for them, to be honest. Not when we all have the internet. I can easily stream a movie online, to get the streaming link up and download the video file from it, to watch on any other device, and for free.

17. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    No, I will never buy DVDs anymore. Most of the time, I can simply borrow a film from a friend if there is something that I would like to see. Also, I'm not the type of person who can watch a film over and over again, so this means that if there is something out, I only need to borrow the DVD as I will more than likely only be watching it once anyway. So this makes things a lot cheaper for me, and it also means that there isn't as much clutter in my house, which is great.

18. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I don't collect DVD's, basically because I rarely watch films and when I do I just look for a free streaming (maybe illegal, but whatever) on google. However, I do buy physical music releases, so I also have a collection like some of you, but for music.

19. jessicazi

jessicaziNew Member

Threads:
    Actually DVD is much better and clearer than internet. But i think there is not too many people to buy DVDs as i see the price of DVDs is much more expensive than we see it in the internet.

20. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I totally do not haha. I always use Netflix, I use Crunchyroll for anime. I use other computer sites as well. I do not get DVDs, my sister gets DVDs though. I always watch whatever she gets on DVD if I am interested in it. But other than that I do not ever get DVDs.