Does Anyone Still Use a Pressure Cooker?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Parker • Oct 10, 2012.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I spotted a pressure cooker while out window shopping today. I remember my mom used one when I was a kid. I was always wary of it because she said that it was dangerous. I was shocked to see them for sale. Does anyone still use a pressure cooker? What do you use it to cook?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am like you, I always avoided getting one because growing up all I ever heard about them was that they were dangerous to use. I recently watched a review of the modern day version of pressure cookers. The show compared four new models to one old fashioned one. The old fashioned one actually beat the new models which really surprised me. The newer models were supposed to be safer to use because they have indicators to let you know when the pressure was at it's peak. The issue the newer ones seem to have is with locking down tight enough. I would also like to get one someday but will be doing a lot of research before choosing one. I hope to find one that is the best of both worlds.

The advantage of using a pressure cooker is that it cooks anything much quicker than other methods of cooking. It was the only way to do that before microwaves came along. You can actually cook just about anything in them. And unlike a microwave, the food will come out perfect every time! Here's a Pinterest site that has a ton of recipes:

Hope this information helps you out a bit.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I had a pressure cooker, which I used occasionally. When we sold up our home and downsized five years ago, I gave it away. If I want to cook anything really slowly, I use a slow cooker - it's so much easier to use.

However, now we spend such a lot of time in Spain, our eating habits have changed. For about 9 months of the year, we eat mostly salads, sandwiches and barbecues. Because eating out is so cheap here, we tend to do that 3 or 4 times a month. Winters are not really cold here, so we don't go in for a lot of hearty stews, and the sort of stuff you might cook in a pressure cooker. I do make my own vegetable soup all year round, but I cook that in an hour or so on the hob. I hardly used my pressure cooker when I had it, and if I'd kept it, it would just be taking up space and gathering dust in the kitchen, so I'm glad I found a good home for it.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always been a little wary of them also, I have heard terrible stories of people getting burned using the pressure cooker in correctly. I use a crock pot for slow cooking or things that need to cook for long periods of time. We also have a turkey roaster that is a blessing to have during the holiday, it does not take up the oven, when you need to cook so many things.

5. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I had the same concern as you. That's why I never purchased one. I would guess they are safe, I just never ever purchased one.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an Nesco electric pressure cooker and I love it. They're incredibly safe and have multiple safe guards on them to prevent any accidents. You have to screw the lids on to them, then there is usually a pin of some sort that wont allow the lid to unscrew until the pressure is below a certain point - so you cannot accidentally open it before it's done losing pressure. The steam release valve at the top will gradually release steam as it's cooking, so it will never get over pressurized.

Personally I think the electric ones are safer and easier to use, you just need to find a good one that can get up to the pressure levels that the stove top ones can (the Nesco one does). Also, they're multi purpose, so you could use them as a slow cooker too if you wish. I love making stocks and soups in them. I also like to throw pasta in there with some sauce or broth, some veggies and chicken, then just let it all cook together. Done from start to finish in less than 20 minutes all in one pot, with no need to boil a separate pot of water, strain the pasta, grill or pan fry the veggies and chicken, etc.

It is a bit of trial and error though with what to cook in them at the same time. Some stuff will get overcooked and pulverized before other stuff in there is done. Sometimes you need to depressurize it once or twice and add stuff in in stages.

7. marrykerry

marrykerryNew Member

Threads:
    I am still use this

8. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    My grandmother used to say that pressure cookers were dangerous. I think that was in the olden days though. I have used one, and love how quick and soft it makes meat that I am cooking. I don't see the danger, since the cover won't come off until it has cooled to a safe temperature.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a great Pinterest site. Those pictures looks so delicious. I didn't realize they were still be used. It's very surprising. I have been cooking a lot of beans and soups lately. Anything that would reduce the cooking time would be of great use. I just need to find one that I trust.

I will do some research on electric pressure cooks as Ohiotom suggested.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Hip Pressure Cooking is a newer site that launched within the past year or so. They also have a Google+ page as well if you're interested in following them.

11. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    My mother still uses it and she says she doesn't exchange it for anything in the world, haha. It's so fun to hear she saying that, haha! :D

Honestly, I think she'll never give up on it. :eek:

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I remember we rarely used the pressure cooker backed then, and if we did, then it was only used for cooking corn. I was never aware that it was harmful? If that's the case then I must read up on it if I must use one in the future.

13. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We use the pressure cooker to cook tough meat parts and beans faster. We always come up with tastier broth when we use the pressure cooker to cook pork, beef, and bony meat parts like legs. Some reviews indicate that modern pressure cooker is a lot safe than old models. I say that even traditional pressure cooker are safe if one knows how to use them properly.

My mom used pressure cooker back then to cook delicacies like beef tongue and caldereta and there were no exploding accidents at all. I'm using one that looks much like the one my mom had and had no problems with it. The product comes with an instruction manual on how to use the product safely and the product itself has safety features to prevent it from getting too hot for too long. Additionally, I've taken extra precaution by not opening the cooker immediately after the cooking time is done.

Our pressure cooker is doing double duty lately because a relative just broke our turbo broiler glass pot while washing and the broiler fits exactly on the pressure cooker's pot.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a coincidence. Our food yesterday was chili beans. I used the pressure cooker to tenderize the beef and afterwards, I also used it for the red beans. Without the pressure cooker, it takes 3 hours to cook the beans and 2 hours to make the beef tender. But with the pressure cooker, it took me 1 hour for both cooking. I also have heard cases of pressure cooking exploding but I think theirs is already faulty. And never open it when hot, let it cool faster by letting tap water run over it.

15. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    We still do use the pressure cooker at home. And it seems to be working for us in many ways. We don't have to use anything different that consumes more power. We have gas at home so that can be used for sure. Another thing is that you can use the pressure cooker for the quicker cooking. I have used that in past and would continue to use these days. I guess we have to understand that pressure cooker can be good option for many if they are with larger family.

16. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I didn't know and have not heard that pressure cooker is dangerous. My mom started to use pressure cooker when I was in college, and she told me it's good to use and save time too. She also gave me her old but still working fine pressure cooker when she purchased a new one a few years ago. I still prefer to use the traditional cookware, so I just leave the pressure cooker aside. I suppose pressure cooker is still good to use as I have read about pressure cooker recipe from many cooking blogs lately, though instant pot seems to be more popular nowadays.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We Indians can't imagine our kitchens without having a set of pressure cookers. We use a pressure cooker for lentils, vegetables and even for cooking rice. I remember the time when I was coming to Australia for the first time and all my friends and relatives wanted spare gaskets brought from India. They also suggested me to bring a couple of spare pressure cookers in case I had spare capacity. I know it may sound a bit different to most of you but that's how we still cook our food.

18. BMT1014

BMT1014Member

Threads:
    I still have the pressure cooker of my mother and I am still using it today. When I cooked leche flan in a steamer, it took 1 hour before it's done but If I will cook it in a pressure cooker, it will only take15 minutes. That's how fast and convenient to use pressure cooker. I remember when my dad cooks meat in a pressure cooker, he opens the cover while it is still hot and the pressure cooker explodes and some of the meat scattered in the stove. Alexandot is right, do not open the pressure cooker if it is still hot. You have to wait until it cools down.

19. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @Parker@Parker Yes of course, there are several people and families out there that are still using it, even though I can agree to the fact that it's dangerous a bit but can you tell anything we do in this life that is not dangerous?

All that matters is how one makes use of the pressure cooker, with knowing that it's dangerous, an additional set of care should be required to handle it well.

#19Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2017
  20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Heatman@Heatman I have noticed more accidents take place due to fire by faulty electric ovens/stoves than pressure cookers. I know for sure that in my country India alone almost 1 billion pressure cookers used 2-3 times a day and we seldom hear a case of burst pressure cooker or maybe 1 or 2 in a month or so. But in most cases it's due to negligence or faulty gasket/blocked safety valve.

#20Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017