Does Anyone Write Checks?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by Rosyrain • Jun 20, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped using checks after I ran out about 6 months ago and tried to pay my bills with electronic checks and money orders. It worked for a while, but I started to run into road blocks when it came to paying fees for my kids schools and stuff. The schools are still a little behind in times when it comes to the ability to pay these fees with a credit card. I ended up breaking down and ordering one book of checks for emergency use, it turns out you can order a single book of checks as opposed to a whole box of them. Do any of you find yourselves in a position in which you still have to write checks?

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I still do but only for very specific purposes; mainly for a few utility bills. It's not something I expect to be doing in say 10 years as technology will make payments even easier. But for now it's pretty convenient for me for a lot of reasons.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I can't wait for the day when I never have to write another check again. I love to be able to pay bills at the spur of the moment by just clicking a couple of screens on my computer. It is getting even better now with the ability to do it with a smart phone.

4. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    Most of the transactions I am doing is thru online. I still have my checks and use it in paying something or to someone that can't be done online. I also go for paperless bank statement. Things are becoming very different now compare before. You can pay bills in seconds with the use of this online thing.

5. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Well, due to the advent of online shopping and purchases, I have mostly stopped using checks. The only time I use it are for utilities payments and very specific expenditures. I do use e-checks sometimes, mainly due to the lower commission rates. I essentially substituted checks for credit cards and PayPal (and Amazon Payments).

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate cheques and stopped requesting a cheque book for a few years now. No way am I going back there. In the UK, many places are phasing them out, anyway. I find them too much work, if I'm being honest. I much prefer cash, my debit card or online transfers :)

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not have a need to write checks. I pay my bills online. The few times I have needed a check I go to the bank and get a counter check from the bank or a certified check to pay the bills.

8. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    I use online and auto-pay whenever at all possible to reduce costs and protect my credit record. But there is no reason not to have a check book tucked away for when you find you need it. For example in my area it is hard to get cash without a fee. So paying a tradesman with a check makes more sense than paying a $4 ATM fee to get them him or her cash.

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I ended up getting one book of checks from the bank and I am going to see if I can make the book last for at least a year. There are a couple of bills I have in which online bill pay is not an option. I would rather go get a money order, but sometimes I just do not have time to do it.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never use checks. Truthfully, they're rather cumbersome. It's still money at the end of the day, why not just pay in cash if you have it on hand? Postdated checks are a different story but they're kind of risky. I'd rather pay everything then and there so that I get things over and done with. It's also convenient to transact business online but you have to cross your fingers there aren't any bugs to disrupt the peace.

11. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really write checks anymore other than writing our rent check every month. I think it's good to keep some checks on hand though in the case that your debit card is stolen or being replaced and you need to purchase something. I've had that happen to a few of my friends and they couldn't do anything until their new debit card came in the mail.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use checks but for my next apartment rental I will. My last landlord was really sketchy about giving receipts for cash rent payments. I don't think I was always credited for the right amount. At least a check that has been cashed by a landlord is proof of payment.

13. Cash In Hand

Cash In HandMember

Threads:
    I guess it's unanimous so far, as I don't do checks anymore either..

On a side note, now that you mentioned it Rosyrain, you're right, schools are still behind the times here as they still want checks for everything. I never really saw that until you brought it up. Someone is going to have to dig into that and find out why.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will always write them when I am getting birthday gifts for people and want to give cash rather than an actual gift - because I find that a lot of my relatives are quite disorganised, and never actually bother to put the money in the bank. Because of that, if it is a cheque, I will get the money back eventually - whereas if it was cash, I would lose it straight away. I know it seems unfair, but if they don't cash the cheque then it is their own fault!

15. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I can't recall the last time I've written a check and to be honest I really don't see a need for them anymore. When we have bank transfers or credit cards, who is still using checks?

16. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    There are a few things I need checks for every month. I stopped buying boxes of them years ago, but I get a book about every couple of months or so. My bank charges me $7.00 for a book of 12 checks, so I don't buy them any more often than I have to.

17. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    For years, I used to carry my checkbook around in my purse. Finally I stopped doing that because I realized I write so few checks. At this point, sometimes I go months and months without writing a check. I could probably count on both my hands the number of checks I write in one year's time.

18. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I can't even remember the last time I wrote or used a check - in fact come to think of it it must be at least 12 years - as
    where I now live, paying by check is not a normally accepted form of payment and would be refused - as the only accepted form of payment here is either cash, debit/credit card or bank transfer - regardless of what it is you are wishing to purchase.

Although I vaguely remember not paying by check taking a bit of getting used to and especially when it came to paying utility bills - I have to say as debit cards are now accepted almost everywhere - I now very much prefer paying that way as its so much easier than having to write checks.

19. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Very, very rarely. I dont think it'll be long until the personal check goes the way of the dinosaur. Extinct. I wont be sad to see them go. Most of my bills are paid electronically and thats pretty much an unstoppable trend. Person to person check writing will probably continue for a while longer.

20. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I still write checks for car insurance (4 payments PDC) and for my kid's school fees. I think that for the past several years I don't get to use my checks for other purposes other than those mentioned. o_O