Does Boxed Software Still Exist?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Denis Hard • Oct 7, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There were days when all software bought would come on some CD or DVD and delivered to your residence. Much as things have changed and most of the software you buy on the net is but a download away, I'm curious to know whether some software companies still sell software that must be installed off some CD or DVD.

Supposing you can't buy stuff online [say you don't have a credit card] would the company accept other forms of payment like cash, if you live near their offices?

2. SophiaLazar

SophiaLazarMember

Threads:
    What kind of software are you looking for? Guitar center is probably by the number of titles written for music, the largest in store carrier of software. They also are an authorized Macintosh seller. However, if you want to buy boxed versions of Adobe products, you can always go to the closest University book store, if you are in a major metropolis and they will certainly have them there. Also consider that education and student versions of lots of very expensive titles for creative uses simply do the EXACT same thing, and therefore there is not always a reason to buy the full version if someone in your family or close to you has a student ID or a teaching position. You are not really supposed to use for professional purposes I guess.. But good luck!
    So guitar center will have mostly titles pertaining to music, but they will probably carry a lot of video software too.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I haven't thought about installations CDs in a very long time, and it's kind of shocking to remember spontaneously like this. :D I still see a few computer shops with a handful of software CDs and games displayed, but I never really bothered to check them out and I barely even noticed. Most of them just have laptops and tablets displayed on the windows now, and maybe some posters of PC games.

4. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    It does still exist. There are a lot of media editing programs that have about 80 gbs worth of software and so it is not so easy or practical to download or install the software and so you will still get the DVDs.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    80 gigabytes is quite a huge file! That would need a PC with one of the most powerful processors for you to run the software. But I guess downloading such software would be impossible if yours is not a corporate internet connection. In that case getting it on DVD would be very convenient.

6. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely can, especially in countries such as mine when we have slow internet download speeds. Most retail computer/technology shops will carry of a range of boxed software products, usually just the usual Windows, Mac OS, Microsoft and Adobe range but there's definitely still some around.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure all of the big name companies sell CDs. And that goes especially with OS, because not everyone can install their system off of network drive or a USB thumb drive. Other than that, you can name whatever you want, and it's there, boxed; music production software, accounting software, image and video editing, word processors..

8. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Yes you can find boxed software at places like BestBuy. I expect that boxed software will continue to die out as more and more laptops don;t even come with disc drives any more.

9. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I did not mean that the software is 80gbs, but the installation packs are that big. Some music editing software have some plugins and a lot of soundbanks that you may need for the program and so it can take about 80 gigs.

10. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol. Of course they still exist. What's the main purpose of CDs, DVDs, and Blurays? To hold software. And are they extinct? Not yet. There are still a lot of people who want to purchase software in CDs and DVDs so that they would have a physical copy. I'm one of those people. Oh and isn't it that the PS3, Xbox and Wii games are in DVDs and Blurays? I believe that CDs and DVDs are still here to stay and they'll stay here for a long time.