Does Excessive Chinese Food Result In Belly Pain For You?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ExpertAdvice • Jan 24, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Every time I eat Chinese food...in excess, my stomach hurts, and so, I tend to only eat what I know will be enough. Belly pain has not really occurred with any other food that I eat. If I do overeat, what happens with other foods is that I will just really feel full, but my belly doesn't pain me! however, if I eat a plate and a half of Chinese food...a couple minutes later, and the pains start! and it's not until after I drink some tea, exercise or take medication that the pain stops. Does eating Chinese food in excess also result in belly pain for you?

2. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    Yea, it really does (at least for me). I can remember eating Lo-Mein for at least two weeks straight. There was one time when I woke up with my stomach killing me like it never has before. So yes, it really can hurt your stomach.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't get that reaction at all! I love Chinese food, and I'd be gutted if that were the case. You may be allergic to it, the ingredients they use? What does happen to me though, is never knowing when to stop because I enjoy it that much LOL. I then end up eating too much, and feeling very lethargic. But of course we all know you shouldn't lie down after a heavy meal.

4. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    Chinese food doesn't bother my tummy and it sounds like you might be allergic to something in the food. Some people are allergic to MSG which is a preservative that is very common in Chinese Food. Although there are some restaurants than no longer use MSG, most of the Chinese ones in our city, still do.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Chinese food can be pretty greasy depending on what you order. Also certain dishes might contain lots of chillies which may be discomforting to some individuals. Other than that I don't really see any problems with eating Chinese food, so long as you keep the serving to a fairly small level.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never eat Chinese food. I don't trust the ingredients they use in restaurants, and for that matter, I also don't trust the packaged food in Chinese supermarkets. Most of them contain MSG (Monosodium glutamate) and BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene). And there are many more harmful chemicals used as food preservatives and flavor enhancers which are often disguised under unrecognizable names.
    Any of these highly dubious ingredients can make you sick.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know several people who are affected inthe same way. I'm pretty sure it is connected with the amount of MSG in the food. I read an interesting article on the subject recently - it considers the safetly of MSG and gives a little information on mhow it is produced. The article also looks at why the Chinese don't get sick after eating this.

8. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    No I haven't experience that problem and hopefully that won't ever happen because I really enjoy Chinese food. Just recently I went to a Chinese buffet and the food was absolutely delicious. If I eat a lot at some buffet I'm feeling fine after but I try not to eat too much.

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    You may have a sensitivity to MSG. One common reaction to it is feeling like there is a creature in your stomach trying to gnaw its way out, or that's how my aunt describes it. For me it causes painful gas high in my intestines, so it takes hours for it to pass all the way through. Not worth it at all.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This doesn't happen for me. I usually just get full and if I drink tea it would help but I never feel pain even if just slightly. It may have to do with me being very much used to Chinese food already since I've been eating it since I was very young but I don't think it has any effect on me that's different from other types of food.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since there's a large Chinese community here in my country, Chinese restaurants can be found everywhere and even ordinary restaurants that serve local dishes are fond of adding a few Chinese offerings into their menu. One Chinese food that's deeply established itself in our country is shumai (locally called siomai). There are stalls everywhere selling this beloved dish. I always end up eating one too many. There was a time when I was in university that I ate nothing but shumai almost on a daily basis. We've somehow localized the dish by adding chilli sauce, mixing it with oil and soy sauce. The non-stop eating and the excessive fat I consumed from too much shumai intake sure did bloat my stomach and caused me constipation.

12. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Uh, I don't think I'm allergic to Chinese food because when I eat it in small amounts I am fine. It is when I overeat that I get the belly pain LOL, do you eat more Chinese food than any other fast food?
    @xTinx@xTinx "The non-stop eating and the excessive fat I consumed from too much shumai intake sure did bloat my stomach and caused me constipation." I understand what you are saying. I mean, with other foods, that doesn't tend to happen at all. I really would want to know why this happens only with Chinese food...Msg doesn't seem like it's the problem.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hahaha ExpertAdvice, so there you have the solution my friend LOL Just eat less Chinese to save yourself the trouble no to mention pain. Here you had us all worried about your health, and meantime you were busy stuffing your face to the point of giving yourself pain!!!

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't necessarily say I get stomach pains from Chinese food, but I do often get the "food coma" effect after eating it - but that is mainly because I have a tendency to gorge on it and eat way too much in one sitting. I can't help it, I love Chinese food so much that when I treat myself to it, I want to enjoy as much of it as possible while it's still hot and fresh. All the fried rice in particular that I will consume at once, ends up sitting in my stomach like cement afterwards, lol.

If you are in fact allergic to MSG, you may want to be careful even if they say that they don't use any additional MSG for a few reasons. First, there are several other ingredients which are essentially the same thing as MSG or very similar in their effects, which might also bother you as well - stuff such as "yeast extract" and "hydrolyzed protein" and a few other ingredients can technically skirt by the FDA guidelines without being labeled as "MSG". Also, MSG itself occurs naturally in some ingredients.

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't have problems after I eat Chinese food. I don't eat to excess. In fact, I get the kid's meal at my favorite fast food Chinese restaurant. I think eating anything in excess will cause problems. I'm not sure why you're eating to excess. It's rumored that Chinese food doesn't last very long. Just save it for later.

As stated earlier, you might been sensitive to MSG.

16. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    Not really; I get pretty full on small portions of Chinese food though.
    It really just makes me full but not too full that I want to throw up or can't walk or anything like that.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, every sort of food can result in belly pain. Everything that you eat too much will upset your stomach because it will make it so full it cannot digest properly. Maybe you feel that with Chinese food just because Chinese food is very heavy, not only do they have a lot of condiments, but there is a lot of fried stuff and also several carbs. It's usually good not to eat too much with the food this heavy, otherwise you will be sure to have trouble with your stomach later.

18. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    It's very greasy Chinese fried noodles that upsets my stomach, especially if I drink sweet drinks afterwards. Other Chinese foods that make me feel sick are live animal delicacies some Chinese chefs put on their menu and serve! Slaughter the animal and end it from it's misery, cook the darn thing, and then serve it properly you lazy chef!