Does "groundhog Day" (with Bill Murray) Really Deserve 'library Of Congress'-level Listing?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by mythman • Feb 5, 2015.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Groundhog Day (starring Bill Murray) recently got put on the

. That seems inappropriate to me---that such a thing as a comedy (even as good as Groundhog Day) should be "preserved for all time" ... that sounds like the same standards that our nation's founding-documents are held-to.

Futhermore, part of what makes such movies "good" is that they are NOT preserved! Not to the public's knowledge, anyway; so that seeing that they were preserved gives you the good feelings of nostalgia.

Agree?

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it depends is that the only movie going to the Library of Congress or are there other movies as well. Also, did you know that twitter and its tweets are reported to be going into the Library of Congress. That's right Twitter, so maybe we ought to think about what we tweet out there.

As for the movie Groundhog Day, I do tend to agree with you. Its a good movie but of the Bill Murray movies is this the one that belongs in the Library of Congress. What about Ghostbusters, now there is a film that has made an impact on pop culture, not only with a sequel but no a reboot as well. It was also depicted into an anmated series. Now as I said above I don't know what films the Libray of Congress is placing there, but of the Bill Murray films this is the one in my opinion that should of been archived.

3. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Why should a great movie like "Groundhog Day" be recorded for perpetuity purposes by the U.S. Congress and it's library?! The U.S. Government can come to an end overnight, no different than what the Russians had to face when the U.S.S.R. collapsed. If people wish to keep records of things, it is best people directly (not by proxy through a Administrative entity) plan and create a library entirely open to the public for the public - the Congress library was constructed for the public, but it's managed by U.S. Agents who restrict, meddle, and interfere with the records placed there.

In my honest opinion. Groundhog Day movie will endure with the people and their private collections, much like many artworks of the past.

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    There are others. It's on a list of 25 listed on the link.

What is the purpose of the Library of Congress anyway?

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It's just like any other library but on a national level. I happen to like Groundhog Day and still have a VHS copy of it. It wouldn't be two surprising if one of the government officials or a family member requested it. There is no other movie like it, is it?

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Well, what is special about Groundhog Day -- on top of having a format that became a very popular trope situation, the never ending day -- is that Bill Murray describes it as the movie that made people see he could do more as just the simple comedy role. Having layers. It was a turning point for him, and it is actually deep and existential in many ways, without ever losing any of the comedy, of the action, of the romance.

I have no idea what Library of Congress does, however.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    The premise (reliving the same day over-&-over) has been explored in literature--I thought I read somewhere online while 'researching' for this post--but Murray & Ramis et al. really 'pioneered' the story in cinema.