Does Internet Availability Matter To You?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by gracer • Mar 7, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    We have just recently moved back to my old city because this is where we decided to enroll our son for his schooling. Another thing I considered in moving back here is the internet access. Back in my husband's hometown, which is a very rural area internet access seems to be so impossible to find.

There are a few internet providers but the signal is just too slow. Sometimes there's even zero signal at all. I mainly rely on the internet as my source of income right now so it is really very important for me.

Do you also consider the availability and ease of access with regards to internet when you move to a place? How important is internet for you?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in the city, so internet connectivity is not a problem most of the time. If ever I decide to move, then for sure I would consider internet availability. I would stay away from remote places in the first place though, so that I won't experience that issue.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As the internet is now such a powerful and monumental resource - I doubt anyone could truthfully say that internet availability wasn't important - particularly as its now - whether we like it or not - become such a crucial part of peoples everyday lives.

In fact - although I know that I could survive without internet access if I really, really had to - as I grew up without it - the idea of having to is not only far from appealing - especially as - the old tedious ways of doing research, paying bills, banking and shopping would be extremely time consuming and even more so - as I live in the middle of nowhere - but more importantly - as no internet access would make my husband's job virtually impossible and my job very much harder - particularly as I do business in more than one country - its now something that we can't be without.

So in answer to the question - yes internet availability is very definitely - always a high priority if not the top priority for us - when it comes to choosing where we are going to live.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The internet is important, but you must remember it's never guaranteed as signals can go down without any notice. I guess in your case you need to put the welfare of your child first and some internet is better than none.

I have lived without it and you can survive. I am currently in an area where the reception is weak and my neighbor has a poor signal that she can't even log on at times. You can't put a price on comfort or happiness around you though. When you realize that, you discover how insignificant technology actually is.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Internet is very important to me, because it's my only source of communication. I have a house phone and no cell phone (they barely work here anyway, so no need paying for one), and the VOIP phone and internet are my ways of connecting with the outside world. I also have online shops that would be impossible to manage without the internet. Additionally, I'm considering cutting the cable, so I'll also be receiving my entertainment via the internet. The connection here is pretty stable nowadays, although that wasn't always the case. I do miss having more of a variety of providers, but at least we have two here now.

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. One of my primary considerations when moving to a new place is internet accessibility. I depend on the internet to earn a living, gain knowledge and for spiritual nourishment. I have even declined opportunities on the basis that the areas I would be expected to move to would cost me alot in terms of being on the net.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Internet access is very important to me and my husband. To say we can't live without it is not an exaggeration, because we need it for our work. -and it's not just my online work, either. We run a fledgling graphic design company and my husband can't do his work without it. We currently live on the outskirts of a large city and can only use one provider, whose service leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. As a result, we're seriously considering moving near the city centre because that way we'll have more options, some of which offer the best quality service.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It is very important to me because I do my work online. I don't need it to be that fast because I don't use it for games that require high speeds but I just need it to be dependable and stable. I think I will just go elsewhere if I can if I found out that the location I'll be going to will have very slow speeds or worse if they constantly give out or disconnect, especially if I'm going to be living there permanently.

9. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Just like what you've said @DrRipley@DrRipley, it also doesn't matter for me if the internet speed is not as fast as what gamers need but all I really need is a dependable one because I use it for my freelance writing jobs so I won't really need a high speed connection. :)

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Internet, particularly wifi, is a salient accessory of modern life. Even children would complain without it. When our DSL connection was installed, our housemaid was jubilant because she now would have a connection with her family in the province. About the children, their reason for internet use is for research in their studies although I firmly believe that they are only playing computer games, those interactive games.

But overall, internet is very important and it is one consideration that we look up for accommodation when we travel abroad.