Does It Cost To Have Your Satellite Equipment Removed?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by MrsJones • Mar 16, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    As with others we are, well I am researching all I can about cutting the cord with our satellite service. My husband grumbles every time I say something about what I've found out. Now I'm thinking about the satellite dish, the DVR and internet router, are you charged for having it removed? How does all that work?

2. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofyNew Member

Threads:
    Your satellite service may have a recycling program to dispose of your dish. If they don't, you could try looking up local scrap vendors. I had extra dishes, and our neighborhood used to have a guy who picks up all the scrap metal. So he took care of it. As for dvr, if I didn't remember wrong, we had a box and shipping label to mail it back.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I think as long as your contract is done with them, you don't have to pay anything to have them removed. At least from where I am, that's how it works. It's better to call the cable service provider and ask them about this though. Since it varies from company to company and from place to place as well.

As for when your contract's not done yet, I guess you would have to pay some fees to the company. So it's safer to finish the contract first or else you'll get fined.

Good luck!

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From my experience, some companies charge to remove them and others do not. Maybe you could look online to see if your company is one that charges? As mentioned above, contracts do some into it. But as far as my own household, we don't have a contract. I hope you are able to get it removed free of charge though.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I dread making the call about cancelling my cable, because I know they'll waste my time trying to upsell me. I think they told me when I asked before that they would send me boxes to package up my receivers and DVR, remotes, etc., and drop off at the UPS location. I will probably be doing it any day now, but I didn't sleep well enough last night to be in the mood to deal with them today.

I have a dish on the side of this house that's been there since before I moved in. I've never had satellite here, and I can hear it moving about when the wind is high, but I've never looked into having it removed, since I don't own the house. Hopefully someone will come along who knows. I think the dish on this house is from Dish Network, and obviously it's older, so no doubt has no value to the company.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never had satellite service, but typically when I would cancel my cable service, such as when I was moving, it was my responsibility to return the DVR, modem and other equipment they provided to one of their brick and mortar locations, otherwise I would get billed full price for them. This is kind of a scam actually, since I paid a rental fee for the equipment which far exceeded the value of them over the course of a few years. I think after a certain amount of time, they should let you keep the equipment, since you more than paid it off. The FTC is actually proposing stricter laws on cable companies, to allow consumers to supply their own equipment instead of requiring them to rent it from them for this very reason.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are on the opposite side because we want to install a satellite service. However, we cannot just drop our cable provider because they would charge us with a disconnection fee. My husband is an aficionado of UFC (the mixed martial arts fights) and our cable has an expired contract with UFC so he wants to change the cable to satellite just to have the UFC coverage. We're still thinking if we would cut the cable and pay the disconnection fee.

8. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on your service provider. I have never had a lot of problems with such companies while I went from city to city because of my job. Of course, they'll ask you all sorts of crazy questions and try to upsell hard, but you just have to let them know that there is no way.

Also, if the contract has expired, just find someone local who'd take down this stuff and recycle it. You don't need to pay the company anything.