Does It Really Matter What You Believe about God?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by mythman • Aug 19, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    According to Christianity.com, yes; it has an effect on "how you love, work, live, marry, parent, purchase, and worship."

that 'God makes our hearts new' (a 'faithful believer'-way of saying that "reading-&-rereading-&-rerereading-&-rerere-etc. the Bible hypnotizes us into forgetting what we wanted before by stating-&-expounding how we are nothing if we fall outside of the will of God").

My feeling on this: Not exactly :cool: The specific thing-that's-important would be "the will of God." It's easier to think of that will if you believe God is a 'person,' but you could believe God is "a shade of the color blue" as long as you believe that God's will is the same as what others believe it to be.

First of all, I believe that "the way things are" is God's will; because it's God's will that we change things to make them better for fellow humans.

While Holcomb says 'what we believe' matters because it 'helps us mold our minds into the image of God's own,' I see it more-practically as 'giving us a basis of agreement with fellow Christians' (so that they are more-easily shepherded into helping to bring about the ultimate will of God).

What IS the ultimate will of God for man? Church-heads say that man was created "to worship God"; I disagree. When God set man down in the garden of Eden, did He tell him, "Sit there, eat fruit with your wife & worship me"? Not

, where He said, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth." It tells us, "And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it."

So I think the ultimate will of God for man is a well-kept, obedient, fruitful world. THAT is the highest form of worship: not 'hollerin` Hallellujah," but rather building & shaping & straightening-up a more-glorious world!

2. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    I am just curious about something. Why are there so many threads about God and religion in this section? I was under the impression that this area was for miscellaneous topics about shopping which did not fit into any other topic. Is this just a general discussion are for anything? Does it not have to be shopping related?

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it matters.

Thanks for your topic! We are always allowed to discuss any topic but when people bring up religion everyone gets their back up! I liked your post and agree that it is important. But I think it is important to actually study and learn. Just going and sitting in a church on Sundays is not going to be enough to produce the outcome you speak of. We need a set of standards, values and dare I say it, morals (hear the gasp across cyber space) so that we can benefit to the full. But since this is a 'don't pay in full' forum then, people may be looking for access to books or something - like the website you mentioned. So I will add one too that has a lot of free downloads, videos, and articles:

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it matters not what "you" as an individual believe about God. Preachers themselves may try to shove their beliefs onto people because they feel as 'leaders' they know more than the average Joe. But do they? Instead of actually trying to find out secrets to mysteries that don't even exist, we should follow the example of Jesus [take your cross and follow Me]. Follow Him. Not some preacher who thinks s/he can read between the lines. What do we know about Jesus? That should be our starting point and if we are serious about knowing Him better He says those who seek, find. At some pint in the distant future the earth will be no more. So the concept of making it better and subduing it, applied probably only to Adam [because then the earth was meant to last forever].