Does Length Of Adverts Make The Right Impression?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by remnant • Oct 27, 2016.

1. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think the length of an ad is responsible in making impression. The most important thing in advertisement is delivering the message. A10 second ad will make better impression than 60 second ad if the message is delivered appropriately. Normally, people will skip long ads.

2. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it depends really @Vinaya@Vinaya. Just recall those super-productions from Mercedes and the other huge brands that make 2-3 minutes movies with stunning views and personalities and we see it on TV, that causes a really positive impact, at least on me.

3. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think OP is right that an effective advertisement should be brief and to the point. What is important is how they are going to communicate the message. Moreover, if the ad is too long it would not get the desired effect as the same ad is going to show time and again.

Advertisements should be creative and innovative enough to linger in the minds of viewers so that they can relate to it when they actually shop outside. That is why company use celebrities to advertise products as they are the trusted and known faces to everybody.

4. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That makes perfect sense, considering the costs involved. At the same time, advertisements these days are small movies, they are engaging and even involve celebrities. So as far as I see it, one of such ads can be a signal of status and indeed pass a very positive message.

5. haivu721vn

haivu721vnMember

Threads:
    I DO think the length of an ad is responsible in making impression. However, it's not the most important.
    If the length is too short, I won't care about the advertised product. If it's too long, I won't watch the ad.
    I will only buy the advertised product if the content in the ad provided me enough information so that I can say if I should buy it.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly, it's not the most important is that the ad is directed towards the right target, meaning, people who intend to buy a certain product need to related with that ad. I don't think it's necessary much time for an ad to do that, but sometimes a longer ad does have a very positive effect.

7. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    For me, the length of an advertisement makes all the difference.

When the advertisement is too long, I get bored and I usually get a bad impression (even if what is being advertised is something of good quality). A shorter advertisement (as long as it provides the main idea) is much more effective and interesting than a long advertisement.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In a nutshell when an advert forces you to change the channel that means you're no more interested in watching that ad in particular. I have seen couple of adverts which had no famous actors/models but kept me glued just because they had interesting topic and wonderful catch lines. I love watching ads done by kids.

9. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I think the shorter an ad can get to the point is the better. I hate ads and I hate long ads even more. So if you want to get my attention keep it interesting and short.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Belovedad@Belovedad I think short or long is not that matters much but the subject and content is the main concern that keeps a viewer glued to a particular advert. I can watch an advert which is 10 minutes long provided it has something of interest and conveys a clear message. I have watched certain adverts which I could not figure out what was the product or what it wanted to say. Maybe, it was not for me or I did not belong to their class :)

#30Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  11. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    To me, the length of the advertisements does not really matter. In fact, I enjoy some advertisements which are story-based and meaningful, though they are more than 5 minutes, and I do not mind keep watching them over and over again, as they are touching and they managed to bring out the message of the product/service. I am also impressed by those companies that are willing to make such good adverts. To me, the storyboard matters more, as I think it shows the company is very serious, thoughtful and sincere. :)

12. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Well at the end of the day I think everyone is entitled to their opinions since we like different things. Maybe the whole topic should be reworded.

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I cannot help but think that they do, but I am not really sure why or how. I would say that those short and impactful ones are good, but then maybe there is something to the longer the more you remember it.

14. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    It's not just the length of the advertisement to be honest. It's all about the content and what you understand from it regarding the store/product that they are advertising. For example, the christmas advertisements for the big supermarkets over here in the UK are a few minutes long but they tell a short story so everyone loves them no matter how many times you see them. I will happily sit through a few minutes of an advertisement because of how interesting it is. On the other hand even though their ads are short, I hate the GoCompare advertisements because of that annoying singer.