Does One Really Need Many Pairs Of Shoe?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Barida • Aug 25, 2017.

1. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I had this argument with my colleague at work today and he was of the opinion that one does not need to have many pairs of shoes since the person can barely wear all in a week. I disagreed with him outlining the fact that when you meet people on the way, the first place their eyes goes is what you are putting on your feet.

He went on to say to say that it is expensive to have lots of them, but I think if one can buy a pair of shoe once in every month or in two months time, the financial burden is something that won't be felt that much.

Do you agree with him that having many pairs of shoes does not matter?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a woman you do need more than a few pairs of shoes, because you need different colors, plus also a mixture of flats and heels. For men, I can they may only need a couple of pairs, but it's better to have a few pairs and alternate them, because they can get worn out quickly.

Also consider if a heel breaks on one, what do you do, or if a pair gets wet? You need a couple of pairs at least and to keep a pair for events and interviews too.

3. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, you do need to have an assortment of shoes to match different occasions and outfit. It doesnt mean one should amass up to 100 pairs of shoes cos' that is now bordering on ridiculous. But at least I would say about 10 - 20 pairs of shoes is fine, especially for the ladies. We have seasonal shoe changes like boots for winter and sandals for summer. We have smart, covered court shoes for work and we have spikes for evening and outing wear. We also have sneakers for casual and sports. So, its really an array of necessity to protect your feet based on the conditions.

4. vashk

vashkNew Member

Threads:
    Men and women have different needs. I say a man's look majorly depends on the clothes than the shoes. so they need just a few good pair of shoes. As for women, the look is more rounded. The shoe speaks to the clothes and vice versa. They just might need a little bit more pairs and of different types. Heels, sandals, flats and even block heeled shoes for comfort.

5. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo Thank you for giving more reasons for people to get some pairs of shoes and just one. If someone continues to wear just a pairs of shoes, the likelihood, as you pointed out, of the shoe getting worn out easily is high and this is something my friend failed to understand!

I just wish he is on this site to see more reasons he should be saving to get new shoes, so as to appeal to the public whenever he steps out to leave for work or an event.

#5Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  6. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately yes, you need to have more than one pair of shoes. It is not just because you can mix and match your outfit and be stylish, It is hygienic We know that bacteria harbor on wet places and too much sweat on our shoes will cause bad odor. We can avoid stinky feet and shoes by taking turns on using your shoes. By doing so, we let the sweat on our shoes dry out and minimize the growth of bacteria on your shoe and evade having stenchy feet.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been one to have very many shoes. I have a pair of sneakers, a pair of sandals, and boots for winter. My finances at the moment doesn't allow for more than that, but even so I probably wouldn't have many more than that. The number of shoes you have depends on what kind of lifestyle you lead since you may need different style of shoes for different occasions. I think that if you feel you need more pairs of shoes than your friend thinks is necessary that is up to you and you don't have to justify your reasons.

8. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Two to three pairs of shoes is enough for me, four is already a luxury. Shoes really does matter since it's a part of your everyday life , but having too many seems absurd. I have three pairs of shoes but I rarely used the other two, except when I need to wash the one I favor the most. And also in case when the weather is bad like when it's raining, I will use the extra one since I cannot use a shoe soak in flood water.

9. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yes oh yes, one needing more than one pair of shoes is very necessary. Everyone has something that intrigues his personality, and mine happens to shoes. For the record, I have more than 12 pairs of shoes at the moment and I am still not satisfied.

The moment I see a new trending piece, resisting procuring one is almost inevitable as my mind won't rest until I have one in my closet. I fancy Italian and Chinese shoes. They give me that exquisite taste I desire wearing a shoe.

My colors are black, red and blue. Any pairs of shoes that comes in these three colors would immediately capture my heart and I am definitely buying it.

10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I 'm part of the team that usually has the essentials to live, so... Having a lot of pairs of shoes is definitely not part of my priority list (and never will).

I particularly think it is a waste of money. :rolleyes:

11. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    As long as you can afford it then it's a good thing to have a number of pairs of shoes to suit the situation that you may be involved. You should consider that wearing the same shoes every day would probably make you susceptible to fungus because of accumulation of sweat which would not get to dry out properly. The sweat accumulation would also serve to warp your shoe out shape. It's a more pleasant look if you should wear the more acceptable style of shoe to fit the occasion. Casual wear for casual occasions and formal wear for formal events. Therefore, I believe that one should have a few pair of shoes so that they would be able to have the appropriate fit for the various requirements.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Affordability is a major part of having pairs of shoes. The other is necessity. Would you wear a pair of working shoes to the beach? Therefor you'll need another for the beach as well as for other occasions. Would you wear your winter boots in the summer? So it's weather, area, occasion just three different reasons why you'd have more than one pair of shoes or footwear. I wanted a nice pair of sandals, and took a look at Walmart's shoe dept. and I found a pair of rubber flip flops with a back strap just for $2. It was a sandal none the less, so I bought it and it looks a bit more dressy than just a flip flop. This is why I love to window shop with time limits. Once at 2PM I decided to window shop. Suddenly when I looked at my watch it was 6PM! I'll never do that again, window shopping without time limits is not wise. So having foot wear for where you're going is what I'm for. I constantly window shop, to find bargains like the $2, sandal I found and happily bought. :)

13. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I only have about 8 pairs of shoes and I keep two branded pairs in the office. I only 1 branded pair at home and the rest are a combination of cheap doll shoes, sandals, and slippers. I think that buying shoes every two months is not necessary. I have three pairs that are durable and classic and worth every cent that I paid for because they're still good for years to come. I work 5 days a week and I can use them alternately for years as they look elegant with formal business suits. I have a few pairs of doll shoes and though they're quite cheap at $2 to $3 a piece, it's a waste of money to keep buying them for the sake of appearance.

#13Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have 2 pairs of leather shoes and 1 pair of rubber shoes. The newest pair is 3 years old while the oldest pair is more than 5 years old. That’s the advantage of having more than 1 pair of shoes, because they practically last longer with the wear and tear that is distributed to the 3 pairs. I used to have only 1 pair in a given time and I had to buy a new pair every December for the old one is already dilapidated. But now, It’s been a long time when I last bought a pair.

15. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I absolutely hate buying shoes. I have a pair for best, two pairs of trainers and a couple of pairs of boots for winter. I don't really like my feet so maybe that's why I hate choosing shoes. None of them ever seem to look good and no matter what they look like they really must be comfortable. Gone are the days when I would totter about in shoes with high heels which crippled me. I've become really boring in my old age.

16. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I buy shoes that fit me well and am comfortable with them. I have colours to match my clothes and that's it.
    I am not Imelda Marcos who we all know had enough shoes to cater to the whole world (lol)

Having said that why bother about those who like to own shoes? Each of us have our ideoscyncharies . Right? (lol)

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I was surprised at myself the other day when I was cleaning up and saw about eight pairs of shoes. I only wear three between work and non work, and I would say that is about all I need.

18. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    Having enough shoes is okay, but too much isn't good in my opinion. Since I just wear jeans and shirts most of the time, I buy rubber shoes that I can pair with what I wear. For special occasions where I need to wear something fancy, I have 2 or 3 that I can pair with whatever I must wear.so that's basically 7 to 9 shoes. I buy more rubber shoes so I won't wear them out too fast.

19. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    Shoes are something people can't resist. I love different kinds of shoes. I have 3 pairs of shoes. Two of my shoes are formal ones and one shoe is running shoe. Most people use just two pairs of shoes, one for office and one for jogging and running. There are many people fascinated by shoes and have more than 10 pairs for different occasions. Personally I feel that two pairs of shoes are enough.

20. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that we do need a few pairs of shoes. But not too many. I myself have only three pairs. I usually buy shoes which can go with all colors. This saves me from buying many shoes of different colors. I don't usually spend much on shoes.