Does Price Always Indicate Quality?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by remnant • Aug 30, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Some stores have pricey goods. They use this paradoxically as a selling point due to the fact that some customers associate such stores with quality. In some instances, this has proved deceptive since some of the goods can be found in other stores at much lower prices. A number of them are franchises and concentrate on selling the brand name rather than the product. Some customers come to grief after buying a substandard product in some of these stores which has been marketed as original. Do you have such experiences?

2. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I tend to think that sometimes Brands and their attached prices are inflated by their popularity and not quality. I bought clothes from Forever21, not high end but expensive enough. The leggings had a hole in the leg by the end of the second day I wore them. While some brands are worth their weight because they are hand crafted with the material. The brands that are second or third tier down from them cut corners trying to be like the first tier brands. Ironically, some of the knock offs are better made because they are hand made to copy the original brand. So it's really important to check out the product, the stitching, the glue, the smell (if the glue smells really cheap or acidic), and what it's made out of.

3. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I personally think that price does not mean good quality, sometimes it may but I find that many times it doesn't, I find critiquing the items carefully before I make a purchase, no matter the price I always look for quality first.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Price doesn't always mean better quality, but more expensive packaging or marketing. Look at Aldi and other discount stores that have comparable quality at a lower price. Even with clothing some designer clothes are not as good quality as they make out as you are paying for the name and logo.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    No not always. Some stores have a reputation of being exclusive or unique in some way. Some people will buy from a store just say they got it from there. Neiman Marcus is an example. Pottery Barn is another. People who have plenty of money will spend it that way. You would never see me doing that, even if I did have plenty of money!

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Does it heck. Price doesn't mean anything as it pertains to quality. At least not as a set rule of thumb. There are so many items out there that are expensive because of who is endorsing them, or because of who the brand are. You pay for the status symbol. Not for the actual product half the time.

7. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    I tend to avoid the pricey brands that are inundated with their logo all over the pieces. I do not feel the need to be a walking advertisement for Channel. However, I have found brands that are more expensive than I would normally shop that I love browsing their sale sections because I know the quality is there, because I have pieces from the stores that have last me a decade. If only I still fit in them! One brand off the top of my head I can think of is J.Crew - their end of season sale can have 30-50% off their already marked down items, and they are logo free and provide quality.

8. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Aquality products are most of the time expensive because quality products use expensive raw material, they use state of the art technology to produce the product, spend money on quality control. Quality products are durable thus, cost more money. Cheap product use cheap raw material and are not durable.Since the cheap products do not care about quality they are cheap. Thus price always indicate quality. However, this is usually with the reputable brands.

9. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Price only indicates one thing: Is the value the demand is willing to pay for. The production values depend on how much profit may return to make a high quality product or something more inferior but affordable to manufacture in mass.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Prices are no indication of quality. I know someone who owned a restaurant in a neighborhood where rents were really high. To make profits everything they sold in that restaurant was overpriced.

That's why I believe for most products pricing goes way beyond covering costs and making a small profit. Some companies will sell their products at ridiculously high prices because customers will think they are of a higher quality than alternatives that are cheaper.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, of course price is not always a good indicator of superior quality at all. It's just sad that a lot of people actually believe that it is. I feel you always have to do your homework to ensure you aren't being taken for a mug, because retailers are aware of this fallacy and will go to great lengths to exploit it.

@Denis Hard@Denis Hard, I like your analogy, such a classic example! Something similar here; I like to get my fruit and veg from posh store Woolworths and the rest of my shopping from middle of the road supermarket, Spar. Woolworths also has a lot of the same non-perishable stuff that Spar stocks. So why don't I just get everything from Woolworths, I hear you ask. Well, simply because Woolworths being considered the superior store appears to hold the notion that based on that, they have the license to price the exact same items you can get anywhere else for cheaper, higher! Interestingly, some people will still pay those ridiculous prices for items they can save money on elsewhere, just because they don't shop anywhere else but Woolworths because 'they sell superior quality' products. It's just stupid, but hey, I guess they have every right to spend their money how they see fit.

12. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Not all products that are pricey are necessarily of high quality. There are some stores that are known to sell all of their products at a high price as compared to other stores. I try to avoid these stores as much as I can, since I would go to other stores and find the same brand product at a much lower price. So a high price tag attached to a particular product can be deceptive and does not always indicate good quality. It may just have a psychological effect on us and lead us to believe that price equals quality.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to certain foods, I feel like the price is a representation of quality more so than it would be with products that are not food related. Like supplements and powders. Sometimes you will find cheaper ones and be pleased with the price, only to find out that another brand that is more expensive has added benefits. So you have got to be careful.

14. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    When you pay more money, the only sure thing that happened is that you have paid more money. There's nothing which guarantees that you have bought anything better. Very often, we are paying for advertising. Many companies build their reputation through heavy advertising. Advertising costs a lot of money. Who pays for it? In the end, it's us, the consumers, who are paying for the advertising.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Indeed. I have noticed this a lot more lately with children's clothing when shopping for my grandchildren. Some of the name brand stuff is just ridiculous. The fabric is thin and cheap, the hems (if there are any) are thin and barely stitched, and sometimes, there isn't even a character on the item but it has the name brand tag. Most often you're paying for that character or logo though.

When my kids were little those items were better quality. Now, it's nothing but the name/logo/character that you're paying extra for.

The same is true of official sports wear. My husband likes shirts for his favorite teams, but the quality has gone down drastically while the prices continue to rise. We were just talking about this. A baseball shirt that I bought for him several years ago is in better condition now than some of the new shirts I bought for him after just a couple washes (and hanging to dry).

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It’s definitely not a done deal that if you spend more you get better quality. In fact, this idea is many times a fraud. However, if something is way cheaper than all other competitors, you should be weary. Sometimes what’s cheap at first can end up being more expensive in the long haul. That is why, no matter what, if I’m paying a reasonable amount (be it a product or a service), I make extensive research beforehand.

17. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Although price does sometimes mean better quality as well as better value - it isn't necessarily a good indicator to go by when looking for quality and durability - nor is the name of the manufacturer either - particularly as I've found that all manufacturers regardless of whether they are a well known brand name or not - all have some very good items as well as some extremely bad ones.

Which is why - in order to make sure that you get the best value for money - I think its always wise to do plenty of research before buying anything - especially as you don't always have to pay a huge amount for quality and durability.

18. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes price does not indicate quality and I think it all has to do with the brand of whatever you are choosing. What makes me angry is when you buy a really expensive name brand item and they have cheapened the item a little by putting plastic handles or something on it. Go all the way and make the item top quality.

19. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    No, absolutely not. Just because you pay more doesnt mean its better quality. I have plenty of $25 clothing items, that dont even compare to my $7 items! When it comes to groceries, we find that off brand bread, cereal, yogurt, granola bars etc, are WAY cheaper and taste the exact same, if not, then better.

20. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Talking about price vis-a-vis quality makes me think of a time when I was doing some research on bird's nest soup. This is a very expensive delicacy favored by the Chinese. A TV crew did a survey. They went around the city looking for people who claimed that they ate bird's nest soup regularly. These people were given two bowls to sample. One bowl was genuine bird's nest soup. The other was fake. None of the people who tasted it could tell the difference. The only conclusion from that survey was that if it's cheap, it definitely cannot be genuine because bird's nest soup takes a lot of resources to harvest and prepare. However, if it's expensive, there's no guarantee that it's genuine either.