Does Rain Make you Depressed?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by aimeep80 • Oct 15, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess Canada is a lot more like the UK than I initially thought. I did not know that you had rainy summers, though I do have that icy image of Canada. But I still did not make the link. We also have rainy summers, but it stays mostly hot. Too hot. There is barely any breeze, so we really appreciate it when we do get rain during summer.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's what I love about our summers... they're super hot. Depends where you are though, because they can be super muggy too. I hate muggy. When you live in snow and grey year round, you sort of live for those Ontario summers that are gone in a blink. So when it rains too much, it's SUCH a bummer in comparison.. but I'll appreciate it anyway lol.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, rain does not make me feel depressed at all, it just feels a bit of a hassle because when you go out it's all wet and muddy. I actually like the rain, it's better than being humid like in the summer.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I like light precipitation with breezes. Then I feel refreshed and know our water sources are being replenished, so I feel good when it rains. If it's very hard and stormy with lightening and thunder I'd rather be at home because I bus only and I pray for protection so I can still use my computer and watch tv and cook so I can eat.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh, don't even get me started on muggy. Is there anything worse? I hate how even when you turn on a powerful fan, it does absolutely nothing to help create breeze, or any sort of relief. It is literally like you are trapped, and can be so uncomfortable. You better appreciate it anyway. Mother nature doesn't want to hear your complaints. She has enough to deal with, what with being systematically destroyed and all lol. I know I should not laugh.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sinner! lol.. laughing at Mother Nature.. all time low Dreekster ;) No worries.. she gets you lol.
    We actually found a fan that works. It's the only one out of the millions we've tried (why keep making them the same way if they're ineffective, duh). We're making our final move soon, where muggy will be a thing of the past for us.. I'll send you my gawd-send fan ;)

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    All time low hahaha. I am made of mother nature, and she is made of me. Of course she gets my humor, even if it is at her expense :/ lol. You have found a fan that works in muggy weather? How many blades does it have? The fans work in normal weather, but in the summer like that, you are screwed, especially if you are having hot flashes during the menopause lol.

8. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    Rain doesn't make me depressed, but it does make me feel very unmotivated. When it rains, I think "cold" and cold makes me want to sleep. So, when it rains, I am usually found laying around the house, covered up under a blanket, and probably either reading a book or watching TV. When I was younger though, rain used to be my idea of fun. I loved to play in it as a child. I will find myself though on a couple occasions during the summer, where I did go run around and play in the rain with my daughter. That was fun :)

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it causes clinical depression, however it can certainly have a huge negative effect on my mood - I know that for sure. I am much happier when the sun is shining, because it means that I am able to get out and about outside of the house and really enjoy myself without having to worry about wrapping myself up in several layers before I can even think about going anywhere.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What are you getting at????? lol
    Um.. never been bored enough to count the blades, I don't know.. I can't even remember what it looks like, it's been put away for a bit lol. You can seriously feel it though, whereas most other fans I've used barely touch you when you're right in front of it. Although they still make for a mean robot voice ;)

11. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I love rain! It actually puts me in a better mood! I keep telling my husband that we need to get our kids rain boots too so that when it rains they can go stomp in the puddles and get muddy. I love the smell of it and watching it fall, having the window open for a cool breeze. It's just great.

12. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think it more the gray clouds more than the rain that makes me feel a little down. I love thunderstorms. I love the smell of rain on the pavement after a very hot day and I love to listen to it hitting the house and windows. When it rains, I want to be inside curled up on the couch or my bed reading a good book or snuggling with my children. The best thing about the rain though is when the sun comes out and brightens the whole world.

13. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I really LOVE rain! The only thing depressing about rain would be mosquitoes. Every time it rains mosquitoes just pop out left and right. Gosh mosquitoes are so annoying... They get so annoying that sometimes I don't like when I see it rain. I just automatically know when it clears up mosquitoes will be around. But rain does make me sleepy. Rain is more soothing then depressing to me. It can also be a sad time for me too if I am staring at the rain.

14. Durin

DurinNew Member

Threads:
    That really depends on what kind of rain it is. I hate rain in winter, I love when it rains on hot summer days. Generally, the warmer it is, the more I like rain.

15. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I live in Washington and we get a lot of rain compare to most other states. It is not always a heavy downfall though, but more of a steady drizzle. I am more used to rain than many, but it still gets me down if it lasts for days on end with no sunshine. I have heard that Washington has a higher suicide rate than many other states because of the weather, but I am not sure if that is true or not. We get enough beautiful weather during the spring and summer months that it does not effect me as bad.

16. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:

Rain is very calm and soothing to me. I can relax when I hear rain. I love to see it, but hate to drive in it. At night when I am having trouble falling to sleep, I will listen to a rain app. It plays light rain, heavy and thunder. I fall right to sleep.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not at all! I love rain. I would love it even more if it didn't affect traffic so much as it does where I live, but still rain makes me happy. I love sleeping when it's raining and being home comfy and cuddling when it's raining, specially if I don't have to work or if I just came back from work. Rain makes me happy!

18. Hozyboy

HozyboyNew Member

Threads:
    No I am actually the opposite of you. I love the rain and get really excited when it rains. I get more active and feel stronger. I am guessing the rain will always be a problem for those people who are outgoing and like outside activities but for me it is another reason to stay in.

19. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love when it is sunny and warm outside. Here in Germany where I live it rains quite a lot and it makes so many people depressed. The only way I try to cope with times when it rains a lot is spending time indoors with reading, playing cards or baking cookies with the family. There are theories out there that define a culture based on their climate and in a way it seems like it is true. However, I am sure there are exceptions and that it all depends on your own perception. So if you associate rain with depression you automatically feel depressed but if you associate rain as a sign that the sun will come out really soon or that a rainbow will be in sight than you turn it into something exciting.

20. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I love to hear the rain falling outside especially after a long season of dryness. We have recently started getting the rain again and it is a welcome sight and sound after everything had started looking so dry outside. Sometimes I think that it does not fall long enough and finishes all too quickly. If I have to go out when it is raining, that is when I would like it to hold up a bit for me to get where I am going without getting my hair, clothes or feet wet. Otherwise, I don't mind the rain at all.