Does Religion Influence How You Shop?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jul 12, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is if you are religious. There are some religions which have strict dietary and dressing requirements for their followers. If you belong to one such religion do you let any outdated requirements dicate to you what you should buy even though it would be more expensive?

SDAs for instance say you shouldn't drink tea or coffee . . . anyone go for expensive alternatives?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to that, I think the Roman Catholic religion where I belong has no problems whatsoever regarding dressing up or eating whatever they want. I am a Catholic, so I don't have any restrictions regarding eating or dressing up, and I'm grateful for that. I can't imagine not eating pork like the Muslims do.

3. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    My family members are Catholic but there is no restriction on food or anything like that. No matter what our religion is we should be able to wear or eat whatever we want. Unless if the food is bad for our health and we are not supposed to take it due to a body condition or disease. The only reason why my family and I are being a bit strict on dressing when we go outside is because of safety and not because of religion.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I was shopping for a forum theme once and I ran across this picture mocking Jesus (in one of the theme previews). I didn't like it, so it soured me on the company. It's a shame, though, cause they had good themes. Well, I don't know if it was a necessarily a mockery, but it was disrespectful.

5. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    No. I don't let religion change my preferences but I do follow the norms and shop within the rules itself and make myself happy. I will not disgrace it but follow it in my own way not hurting anyone's views. :)

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I just shop according to what I need and think it's right for myself amd family. I don't shop based on religion or others views but to what makes me happy and not offending my family. For clothing I chose to not buy anything revealing but that's only because I think it's the best choice. For food it's all about making mine and my families body happy.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is not the religion that delimits us in going shopping for foods, clothes, among others. It is our faith that holds us and urges us to follow what is the modest way of dressing, the right foods to eat and others items for our house improvement. We treat our religion as a practical and pure religion that helps the needy, comforts the discomforted and cloth the naked with the binding spiritual principles and passages from the Holy Scriptures. It is Jesus Christ is the central figure of our belief as what it is being written and prophesied in the Bible and other scriptures that testify about Him.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely not and I honestly can see no reason for that to happen. o_O This all seems to me to be very extremist. Religion shouldn't have that kind of power. I think people should fight against, I don't know... Maybe rebel themselves against this system. :confused: I mean, it's my money... My clothes (or anything else that I want to buy). :)

9. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    Agreed. It seems to me that religion is going too far, and has influence on a lot of things where it should not have any. I am not religious, but I think that even if I were, I wouldn't mind that when it comes to shopping. I don't see really how and why that makes any sense.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Not really, religion does not influence how I shop, and I can't see that happening. As a matter of fact I'd be surprise to learn some people's shopping style could be influenced by religion. When I visit the malls I simply buy the items I need and by regulation are not prohibited stuffs. So long the items I'm buying are generally acceptable, not illicit or contraband, I am good to go with it.

11. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    My answer is yes. I am a Hindu and I will never buy beef because beef is not allowed in Hindu culture. Furthermore, I will also never buy halal food. Halal foods are reserved for Muslim people. However, I also don;t have a rigid shopping regime. I will buy anything that does not attack my faith.

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Religion had never dictated the way I shop, the clothes I wear, or the foods I eat. It's my conscience that tells me what's right or wrong. Hence, I never buy/wear casual clothes that are too revealing. I don't eat food with blood in it because even the New Testament bible says that we should abstain from drinking/eating blood. Likewise, I don't patronize a store that openly disrespects my faith.

13. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think religion should not dictate how you shop-but you should concentrate on doing good deeds for people. I think religion is a good guide for mankind-but we should not become sick and lose our wits and free will about ourselves. I think religion should set you free though-and give you wings and not tie your hand up.