Does The Ability To Buy "as Seen On Tv" Products In Stores Lessen Your Desire For Them?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Megan888 • Mar 25, 2015.

1. kaylahambrick

kaylahambrickMember

Threads:
    Very much so. There is a store in our mall as well that is a "As Seen On TV" store. After you actually get to see the product ( and everything that it isn't) you don't want it as much. When it is on tv, they give you a limited time to order so you start thinking that you could be the only one out of everyone you know who has that product, and your adrenaline goes nuts. We always try and one up people who are close to us, whether we mean to or not. But when those items become readily available for everyone, the adrenaline dies down because you wouldn't still be the only one.

2. IrishHeather

IrishHeatherMember

Threads:
    Yes actually it does. I think part of the appeal of 'as seen on TV' products is that you can only get the item from the TV ad. I know it seems silly but something about it being only available on TV and by calling that specific number makes it seem special and unique. Getting the product from TV makes me feel like I have an edge, because I have something that is not available to other consumers looking for the same type of product. Its kind of a let down when I see it for purchase in the store. :(

3. mylindaelliott

mylindaelliottNew Member

Threads:
    No ma'am. I love being able to get them in stores. I still want them and get them.

4. kristin

kristinNew Member

Threads:
    It must be personal experience. I never enjoyed watching these infomercials and I certainly never thought of their products as better. The thought of giving my information out is too risky even if I was interested. Some of their products do grab my attention. About twice a year I find myself deliberately going to the "as seen on TV" section of the store. Maybe the difference is being raised when these sections of the store were made available? It certainly would skew someone's thinking if they are told they can only buy it on TV and then they pass this section at Walgreens as opposed to someone raised when these sections did not exist.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never even watched much TV so they practically didn't exist (if I binge watch it is online) but me too. On the occasion there was a commercial for these products, some of them do look interesting but I was never really a big spender. To be fair they had less toys on them then but I don't recall as a kid seeing something on TV and begging mom to get it. I was more swayed by the toys you could see in the store.
    The idea of getting more money though that is my weakness so I once saw an infomercial about "free money". It sounded too good to be true though and I've been scammed enough to be wary so I looked it up and sure enough it was a scam. I warned my mom about it and turns out she had already been swindled.

Yes this is the beauty of the internet. I was actually thinking about buying an As Seen on TV product the other day because I had a Walmart gift card and couldn't decide what else to get. The idea of putting streaks in your hair easily intrigued me but it did sound like it might not be that great. Sure enough hair chalk lives up to its name. Just like chalk many people said it was completely messy.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would purchase a product I saw on tv from a store because I can see the product and tell better if it is worth the price that I will need to pay for it if I want it also I will not have to pay for shipping as I would if I ordered from the commerical.

7. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    No I think it is just the opposite. If they are on TV you may hesitate to buy because of the high cost of shipping. But when you see it in the store it is easier to buy. I think it is more convenient.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There's the whole cultural kitsch factor they are playing too with consumers with "as seen on TV" products. As stupid and ugly as the Snuggies were, people were buying them up and I have friends that actually use them! Not to mention those who are giving them away as gag gifts. They end up becoming conversational pieces when you have guests over - "oh is that the Shake Weight?" or the "Ronco Rotisserie Oven? Do you like it so far?..."

Plus many of these infomercial products are actively seeking a wider distribution in the long term. They may initially launch on TV, but once the product gains some popularity, then they can convince the big chain brick and mortar retailers to finally stock it.

Admittedly, I was a sucker for infomercials in the late 80's through the early 90's - I lost track how many times I watched those stupid commercials for that pink car polish with the British guy lighting the hood of the car on fire... I also remember ordering our first T-Fal pans via infomercial before they became readily available in stores years later. At the time they were supposedly the cutting edge in non stick cooking.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, not really, because I am mostly not interested in buying those kind of products in the first place, so whether or not they are available in stores or solely on tv does not really affect me.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only as seen on tv product that I was instantly interested in when I first saw it, was the Nutribullet. And I was so struck by it that I sought out more information on the product via the internet. But other than that, the ability to buy those types of products in stores does not lessen my desire. If I want a product, then I want it.

11. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to stay away from "as seen on TV" products even if I see them in stores. One exception is Pillow Pets. I remember when I saw them in my local wal-mart and there were so many of them that I just couldn't resist and actually bought one. I'd seen them on TV before, but I don't usually trust infomercials so it wasn't until I saw them in the store that I actually decided to get one.

12. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    It sure does. For whatever reason, it just does. I think that it is just the fact that it does not have that "only on TV" factor. It is less rare, less an item that people would look too with wonder, less intrigue. I am not sure of the right word, but I am pretty sure that everyone knows exactly what I am talking about. Maybe I will just go to a thesaurus and look for that right word that I just cannot seem to find.

13. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    When I see these products in the store, I am less likely to purchase them. I guess there is just a stigma for me that goes along with "as seen on TV" products. I always feel like they are a total ripoff if you order them and then I feel like I am just wasting my money if I buy them in a store.

14. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, infomercial products always sparked me my curiosity. And I also have seen these kind of stores that only sell "as seen on tv" stuff. My father bought something from an infomercial once, But He ended up very dissapointed with his purchase that He never bought any of these products again. And also warned me to not waste money in that gimmicky paraphernalia.

15. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    There is some sort of idea surrounding the fact that "As seen on TV" products are there because they are not good in the first place. These gimmicks are mainly aimed at people who are more likely to give in as they are not surrounded by other means of identifying products, for example, Amazon and eBay. Personally, I am interested in these products and actually sit down and think about how useful they might be and how not, etc..

16. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabeNew Member

Threads:
    Not at all. In fact I think I am more inclined to purchase it if it's available in stores! There's something really that always strikes me as really ingenuine about AS SEEN ON TV products; probably because they always say "call in 5 minutes and..." but in reality you can get that deal whenever. I think that would create a stronger aversion for me- if it's only available by ordering over the phone.

17. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1New Member

Threads:
    I think people are going to buy what they feel like buying. I think the ad let's you know what's available. It gets the information about the products faster. I would only buy something if I feel like buying it.

18. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    To me 'As Seen on TV is double edged sword. On one hand, the easy availability of these products in stores makes me to be dismissive of the adverts but not of the products. This is because advertisements not only serve to inform but also to refresh the memory of the viewers in order to remind them of the salient features and advantages of the products advertised. To some, it is a sign of prestige. It creates the image of the product as of being of value to qualify for all the hype.

19. AgentD22

AgentD22New Member

Threads:
    I have to say no, it doesn't affect how I view them. I think the main thing about this products is that since most of them are made to be on those types of ads, they end up having functions or designs that catch your eye easily. This potential is not lost when you see them in stores, if anything it makes me want it more seeing them and how outlandish/futuristic some of them are.

I can see how the exclusivity aspect of it all can play into it, but in my humble opinion, people don't want the products on TV for the exlusivity, at least that's not how it is nowdays, they see them as useful or innovative.

20. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never paid all that much attention to them anyway, because I find most of the Only Sold On TV types of informercials (as well as many other of them) to be irritating. However, I do think I ignore them more than I did in the past, because I now know there are certain stores I can visit to find those products, so I no longer even bother to watch the few informercials for them that I might have watched in the past.