Does The Fear Of Being Scammed Force You To Buy Locally Only?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jul 3, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah that could still mean buying online from stores that are based in the city/town where you live in so that in case what you ordered is not sent to you, you can storm over and demand for explanations.

What do you think? Is the fear of scammers costs people at times because it makes them unable to take advantage of better deals offered by different stores that may not be based in the buyer's hometown?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I actually don't think that way, because I always pay using Paypal, so if something goes wrong, then I can always easily file for a dispute. Thankfully, I have never been scammed yet and the only people that have "scammed" me are the thieves that work in our local post office. 3 of the parcels that I bought actually got stolen.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    No, because nowadays we can just look at feedback and although some of the sellers buy the feedback, with enough experience and vigilance, you can more easily discern which ones are authentic and there are also a handful other indicators on which sellers are good for their word. I'd admit that I'm a little bit more skeptical of sellers out of my locality, though, just because it's easier for me to spot the good and bad sellers when they are from my own culture, but I wouldn't say it deters me that much in deciding whether or not to buy outside my area.

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I am always afraid of scammers when I shop online. I have been scammed a few times. I got things that were not in good condition or were not what I ordered. There is not much you can do about it except try to get a refund. However, I do still shop online. Why? Because sometimes I can't find something locally and I can online. Or there are better deals online.

You just have to be very careful where you shop. Also ask questions, keep emails, and receipts. Be a smart shopper. Plus, certain places like e-bay and amazon have a customer protection type thing. They will open a claim for you so you can get your money back.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, being smart causes me to shop locally. Everyone complains about their economies, then hops online and shops outside of their borders. I want to support small businesses that are struggling more every day because of this. I want to support my community and help create more jobs and better businesses. I used to save money a lot buy grabbing everything from all over the world, but is a disservice to my home.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that I am exactly scared of scammers, but definitely concerned. In the last couple of months I managed to avoid two major scams involving accommodation. I tried to rent a room in a hostel in a different country and it turned out that it didn't even exist. The second time I tried to rent a flat and had to find out in the last moment that the agency was fake. So, yes, I am very careful when it comes to any transactions over the internet, be it buying a product or making a booking for a room.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really shop locally because the stores in my area are not that interesting. I don't find Foot Locker, Kmart and a bunch of dollar stores that exciting. I buy online so that I can actually find cool things that I want.

I shop online at places like Amazon and Mrs. Lin's Kitchen that are known for being safe and scam free.