Does the reputation of someone recommending a product matter to you?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Dec 17, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen it more than once. A company creates some new product and they get a some movie star, musician or famous sports person to recommend their products to the world and most people fall for that. Recently [in September] Hulk Hogan started a new web-hosting company [Hostomania] and guys were saying that since they trusted the guy [Hulk Hogan] they'd try out the new web-host even though they [Hostomania] have absolutely no track record.

It's quite interesting to see how easily people are swayed by names. Would you try out some product because your favorite celeb said it was great?

2. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    When I read your post I let out a little bit of a sigh. I have always believed that the reputation of the star is irrelevant to a product, unless the product is directly related to the stars field. I sot of wonder why these stars are doing the commercials. Is it just for the money or do they believe in the product? I will admit one thing, I have bought a product because a certain star swayed me in to it through a commercial. I know, go figure!

3. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time when you see stars advertising a product, it is because they are being paid to do it. If I see a skincare commercial or a makeup commercial with a gorgeous celebrity advertising a product claiming to use it, I'm not going to be like, "Oh my gosh, they're so gorgeous and their skin looks flawless, it must be the product! I have to get my hands on that!" because I know that they most likely don't use it and that they are getting paid to advertise it.

I don't purchase products I see on T.V. unless they really interest me, and even then, I look up many reviews for it online first.

4. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    I don't actually believe in it because those stars are paid for what they do and in reality they don't actually use that product to prove its quality. I never chose a product seeing the reputation the one who promotes it because it is not actually meant the way they show. Any product is best when it is bought directly and also when the opinions of the public are considered.

5. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    I follow the recommendations for a product I am not familiar with when it is a friend I know and trust. A paid recommendation from an actor is nothing but an acting job. I do not get swayed by any of the commercial charades.

If the product advertised attracts my attention, I will ask around my circle of friends for their opinion on the product.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I take personal recommendations from certain people pretty seriously.

Stars? Athletes? Famous people? Um. No.

There's no such thing as honest advertising any more. But personal recommendations from people who use products and like the results are almost always going to get my business over something else. I also take Google and Amazon reviews pretty seriously. I think it is the age we live in, personally.

7. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say to many companies use the stars to sell there products. You find a lot of people saying hey if they tried it it gotta work. I watch the commercial of the bare Mineral with Cindy Crawford and I was like wow her skin looks good . I always had this thing in my mind whether they just used her to sell the product. Then there Montel William with the loans I hate that they use stars that we like to sell there items. But I guess everyone has to make money some kinda way.

8. kal30314

kal30314New Member

Threads:
    It depend of what the celebrity is talking about in the commercial ad. If they are trying to sell their own product like perfume, I don't mind checking out the product. I think most product that they show on TV we by it any way. But when a celebrity talk about product or services I think that it increase the product/service. It just another from of advertising to the public. It must work well because companies keep paying celebrity to tell about their product. I would like to no who really go out and buy a product just because a celebrity say so. It best to check out a product or services for yourself not what a celeb say because do you really no them like that.

9. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Come to think of it, I've never really cared who companies get as embasaddors. I only find these ads interesting and enjoy watching them but I never get influenced by them to go and get the product. Having celebrities are meant to enhance the products presentation, not to be used as a reference. When it comes to shopping, I trust my friends' recommendations more.

10. Cindy16

Cindy16Banned

Threads:
    I don't easily get influenced with who is the one promoting it..What matters to me is how the product is presented, how reliable the store is and how helpful the customer service representatives are.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course I'm not that gullible to believe that if some celeb simply advertised a product, then it's automatically effective or it's a good product. To make me patronize an item or service, I check for the brand's reputation and product reviews online and in person.

12. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to do a fair bit of research into a company and their product/service before I go ahead and put my money there. It doesn't matter who it is being promoted by, it could still suck.

13. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes - a celebrity's rep does make a difference in whether or not I buy a product. Why? I know some of them are just out to get a buck. They don't even use the product.

I always try to talk to a regular Joe, someone who has nothing to gain or lose by describing how well a product works.

14. LALucien

LALucienNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, not so much when a celeb does an endorsement. All that tells me is how much the company had to spend on advertising!

However, when it comes to non-celebs yes it does matter. If a guy who is known as a habitual liar is telling me something I'm supposed to believe and take seriously, I'm gonna be super dubious.
    Or if someone you know who is bad with money starts recommending some get rich quick scheme or some great investment, I'm gonna take that advice with a salt shaker you feel me!?

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I respect talent.. not status or name or money. And talent doesn't tell me anything about a product. As a matter of fact, if it's backed by celebrity, then I'm more likely to avoid the product all together. Just like with foods.. I avoid most foods that have a commercial. I'm not into big corporations and ads and manipulation and I'd rather not support them if I can help it. Which in most cases I can't.. so when I do have that option, I jump all over it. No to celebrity endorsements

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I personally knew the person, I would use that knowledge to discern whether or not I would buy/use a certain product or service. But, if it was recommended by some random celebrity, no, it wouldn't sway me to buy the product. If, however, I trusted the celebrity (or well-known person), yes, it might sway me. For example, I have some favorite chefs, and if one of them recommended a product, and I knew that they actually used the product, I might try the item.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My answer is yes; but it makes me run the other way LOL I don't take celebrity endorsements seriously AT ALL, it's such a farce. Of course they get paid to be the face of products, but do they really use them? We'll probably never know definitively; but I'm quite the cynic, and my belief is that they are motivated by the huge pay check they receive to back these products, rather than the fact that they're pleased as punch at how well they've worked for them and they want to share their fantastic experience with us.

I rely more on the reviews of like - minded people on different discussion forums. I know I can ask them to substantiate their claims, and ask them specific questions they'd be able to address.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't get swayed just because a celebrity endorses a product, even if they are someone whom I like. I mostly just buy my products according to their price in relation to their quality, and if the calculation turns out to be reasonable then I'd be more inclined to buy it. The problem is that most companies tend to overprice their items when they pay a lot for marketing so it usually just makes it more difficult for me to consider it.

19. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    YES! I totally agree about product (and service) prices being way too overpriced, partly due to marketing costs. I'm always griping about that with regard to my cable provider. They provide sub-par service, little to no customer service, and don't care about retaining customers, while offering outrageous benefits for new subscribers! I think there's such a glut of products out in the marketplace (not cable companies, though, since there are mainly a few behemoths), that it takes a lot to be noticed, and companies believe that throwing money into advertising is a guarantee of increase sales.

20. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that high cost ads just lead to higher prices. I doubt that celebrities actually use the products anyway. They should have to disclaim the fact that it's just paid promotion, like you have to do if you own a blog and write paid reviews. I'm not more likely to buy something recommended by some star. I am LESS likely to buy something recommended by a star I don't like though (and I don't mean because I think they're a bad actor or don't like the shows/movies they've been in.. I mean if they act like a jackass in real life).