Does the reputation of someone recommending a product matter to you?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Dec 17, 2013.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good point. I do the same. If I don't agree with their actions/speech, I tend to stay away from what they recommend, as well. My feelings about them tend to cast a pall over them, and I'm turned off by most, if not everything, associate with them, so that translates into less interest in whatever they're selling/promoting.

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, of course not. We all know that the celebs are only endorsing these products for cash money - I highly doubt they actually use them. I'd be more likely to listen to a recommendation from a friend.

3. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! If I'm looking for something and somebody I know can recommend a good brand or company I appreciate it. I would much rather go with a recommendation than go in completely unknowledgeable. I always ask people if I am looking for new services.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I could care less about which celebrity of any sort is endorsing any product. That doesn't deal in reputations. That just deals in celebrity itself. Which is well & good for their pocketbooks but not for mine. I tend to spend more time looking into regular people reviewing things & if I come to find they don't have an agenda I'm more than willing to take what they have to say into account.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think that because we're all on a money-saving website, most of us are very conscious of our finances. We're not the type of people those companies are targeting. The people who are swayed by celebrities, etc, are not the same people who are pinching pennies.

6. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I laugh at most of the celebrity promoting commercials as you know they would never dream of actually using the product themselves. In the UK they also use celebrities to endorse financial products and loans, I find this type of advert offensive. I don't appreciate being advised to get in to debt by a multi millionaire celebrity to a loan company with sky high interest. This type of advert is completely irresponsible as people can be easily influenced by celebrities and think they are being sold a good deal.

I don't blame celebrities for cashing in on their fame by endorsing products that people may want, however i think they have a moral duty to not associate themselves with irresponsible money lenders just for financial gain.