Does Tracking In New Gadgets Bother You?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by BigBigFan • Apr 19, 2015.

1. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    I grew up in a time before email, before social media and before "online". I'm in my mid 40's but just saying that makes me feel old. Anyway, one of the things that has changed since then is that today virtually all gadgets have some sort of tracking software installed. Mobile phones have GPS turned on even if you don't use it, social media records all activity even if you don't ask it to and nothing is private online.

Gadgets however, especially cameras, are more intrusive every year. The new xbox has a forward facing camera that can be remotely turned on even if the unit power is off. Smart TV making company Samsung even went to far as to issue a warning not to talk about anything you don't want recorded near your own TV. Why? Because it records all sounds and sends the recordings to a cloud based database, permanently.

When you buy a new gadget, are you concerned about the ways it might be(almost assuredly is) tracking users?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it certainly bothers me. Also, your cell phone can be listened in on, unless the battery is removed. I enjoy my privacy, and don't like the fact that it can be violated by products that I consider tools for communicating, doing business, having fun, etc.

I take a lot of pictures, and I'm constantly having to remember to remove some of the information on them before I post them online. There's probably a setting where I can do that on the camera itself, but I'm not positive there is, and I haven't taken the time to look. I do try to default settings on my devices to not track or locate, when possible, and I am the sort who covers up the cameras, so even if they're remotely activated, they see nothing.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this new "eavesdropping" tech is both bad and good. Information obtained can be used to locate or even stop criminals from committing a crime they'd planned to commit. Whether someone spies on me or not that doesn't concern me that much. I'd like to have some privacy yes, but since the government is already spying on us tech companies doing what the government has been doing for ages doesn't make a huge difference, does it?

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had absolutely no idea that Samsung had revealed this information! Whilst I've got nothing to hide, I do feel this takes things a step too far. They are literally recording you in your own home and that's pretty outrageous!

5. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    The gps does not really bother me that much because it does make life easier sometimes when it has some useful features incorporated into apps that makes life easier but the sound and video recorded is a little worrisome. But out of millions of people i think there is a small chance that someonce will actual wanna watch you sitting on your couch watching tv for a few hours

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is a concern and while it has helped in some cases to track down suspects in crimes or pin point missing people, there is always the chance it gets abused.

I try to limit as much activity as possible, not because I have anything to hide, but I am private and don't want people knowing my business or asking me things. I deactivate the location on all my social media and keep my phone off until I need to use it.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most consumer device manufacturers are working toward the Internet of Things, which means all devices will be connected by the Web and "smart". It's alarming to some degree for obvious reasons, but people can still control what devices they put inside their home. So the average consumer is still in control of their privacy, if they know how to proceed.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nah. It's not like you can't turn these things off. Other than the very rare cases, I mean. GPS definitely isn't always on, you can turn it off, and if you're really paranoid, you can disable it completely both software-wise and hardware-wise. And it's not that hot with social media either, they may track some things advertising-wise, but they can't really track it down to your name.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well of course, I mean nobody wants they're neighbor watching all the time. But what else can we do now? I mean sure it's up for concern but we need these updated gadgets. The best to do to avoid these things is to just unplug all of them and ask yourself, do you really need a TV that records everything and sends it to the cloud? Do you really need a cellphone that tracks your every movement? Do you really need to announce everything you do on social media? No. I mean, to be honest with you if I knew my TV does that kind of thing I would chuck it out the window and just watch on my old fat CRT TV.

10. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    That's really intrusive, i wasn't aware about that kind of tracking method Samsung has. I value my privacy a lot and man if they are doing that, I would return their product and request a refund. That's just so ridiculous! I can't imagine having to filter myself or being careful in my own home, that's just unacceptable in my book.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind the tracking whether if it's my phone or even the GPS in my car. What annoys me is the spam that I get in my phone particularly those offering personal loans. They always interrupt me because when my phone sounds, naturally I had to check because it might be important. And with the tracking, what is the possible problem with that? Sorry if I cannot comprehend the issue.

12. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I wish gadgets and websites would mind their own business. For instance, nowadays, a lot of websites are tracking every bit of information you put out. That whole scene is very creepy and dangerous. What if a criminal or stalker gains hold of the information?

13. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that it doesn't bother me, but I'm not sure there's a lot we can do about it. These days it seems that all technology buy bis either tracking your location or spying on what you are actually using the product for, and while some people say that if you're doing nothing wrong it shouldn't be a problem, at the same time I do think that people are entitled to their privacy and that is being intruded upon more and more and nobody seems to be challenging it.