Does Your Bank Charge Ledger Fees?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by remnant • Oct 19, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    In my country, banks used to charge ledger fees but due to competition as the free market spirit intensified, these were scrapped. Ledger fees are only retained by prestigious banks but this comes with perks attached to them. Do banks in your country charge ledger fees?

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, if you have a minimum amount in your account there is no ledger fee but banks keep inventing the new ways of charging their customers like I paid INR 167 ($2.5) on a cash deposit which I withdrew from another bank for FD purpose. Lately I have been paying SMS charges for messages coming to mobile phone from banks.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    My bank will only charge you a one time fee and that is for issuing the booklet. But another thing is if you operate a current account in addition to paying for the booklet you are charged to make a withdrawal which is around 0.5 to 1% of the money withdrawn

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We have two type of banks one - the nationalized banks also known as government banks and the other category comes under private banks. Earlier the government banks were charging ledger charges but now they charge on annual basis.

5. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Banks in my country don't charge ledger fees or any annual fees to be a depositor. Most banks have relatively high opening and maintaining balance and they'll charge you some amount if you don't maintain it on a monthly basis. There are big banks, though, that have low opening/maintaining balance yet they issue a free ATM card and do some clerical work on the account. Banks do encourage deposits and each branch is pressured to meet a target Average Daily Balance.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It is the same here in my country too but they charge you in different heads like "SMS Charges" for keeping you updated, If you ask for a printed statement (like I have to take one whenever I apply for a Visa) they charge a fixed fee. They charge you for counting money if you deposit a larger cash amount in your account. These things used to be free previously but since they do not charge annual fee or ledger fee, they are charging them in different forms.

7. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the banks in our country do not charge any fees except interest in the loan, or service charges for debit/credit card, or text message services. Some banks charge when the amount is high.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am more worried now since the demonetization has increased the work manifold they banks might invent new ways of charging their costumers. Besides interest rates going down drastically the chances of workload will increase and they will have to higher more employees.