Does Your Dog Drink Urine?

Discussion in Pets started by sidney • Oct 5, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I posted a thread before about our German Shepherd eating my cat's poop. Now the other day, I threw my cats urine in the cement drain that's near the Faucet so that the water can run over it. The faucet wasn't on yet, and when I threw the urine, my dog just started to lick the spilled urine from the cement. So I thought, "Okay, you don't just eat poop, you drink urine too. What gross thing will you eat next? Menstrual blood?" Lol.

So I wonder if your dog also drinks his or other animal's urine? I just want to know if there's a dog that also does this since drinking urine is not very common as compared to eating poop.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of a dog drinking urine, and that's probably not the healthiest activity. I guess it's not surprising, though. Some dogs will eat or drink just about anything, even if it's dangerous for them. I'd recommend keeping your dog away from foreign liquids that aren't water because he seems a little too curious and willing to consume whatever comes along.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah he seems to eat and drink ANYTHING! He also seems to be hungry all the time. I guess this dog is obsessed with food and anything he can chew on. Good thing he doesn't chew slippers or other things.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of anything like this. Even our pit bull doesn't do it! LOL. Your dog must be really thirsty. I suggest that you train your dog not to do this anymore because it might pose health risks in the future.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    None of our dogs would ever do something like this, nor would they eat poop. In fact, if you so much as sprayed them with a toy water gun, they would take off running and not come around you the rest of the day. They would get this super freaked out look on their face like "what are you doing?!".

However we now have three cats, and I'm embarrassed to say, one of them went through a phase where she kept coming into the bathroom whenever we were in there, and had a rather creepy and disgusting habit of trying to drink urine if you were standing up and urinating. She would jump up and try to lap it up, and we would have to kick her away. I can't believe I just shared that, lol.

I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that some cats simply like running water, so perhaps that was the appeal.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But his water bowl is under the faucet and is always full. I guess he likes the taste and smell of my cat's bodily wastes, lol. He does not eat his own poop, by the way, only my cat's poop.

That is disgusting, cats are supposed to be hygienic creatures, right? I guess she was just curious about that "yellow flowing liquid". I guess she was only a kitten that time, am I right? So when her curiosity waned, she never did that again.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have never seen any dog drink urine till now nor heard about it. I think it is only because he was quite thirsty and was ready to drink anything that came its way. I do not think it is usual for dogs to drink urine every now and then. And your dog must be an exception.

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Never had any of my animals do that, but I'm really not to surprised, it's a dog after all and some will eat/drink just about anything. I wouldn't be to worried about it or anything, just try to make sure it doesn't happen again (not that you can always help that, but ya know) because it probably isn't the healthiest thing for your pooch to be doing.

9. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Dogs are weird and they'll eat just about anything. When it comes to them eating feces and urine though, it may be because they're not getting enough nutrients in their diet. I would make sure that my dog is eating a good brand of food, and that they're getting enough throughout the day. If they continue doing it, then it just might be one of your dogs quirks. I know mine has more than enough haha