Does Your Local Movie Theater Do Matinees?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Zyni • Jun 9, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you like going to the movies? If so, do you find it to be rather expensive?

In some cases, movie theaters will host matinees. These are usually showings of the latest movies that are offered during non-peak hours. There is generally a significant discount for going to the matinee instead of attending during prime time.

Does your local movie theater offer this or something similar? Do you take advantage of it?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, as far as I know almost all theaters offer matinees. All of the major chains do that's for sure. That doesn't mean though, that the movie you want to see will be available as a matinee. I rarely go to the movies these days, but when I do i is a matinee. It is just so expensive these days to go to see a movie, that a matinee is all I can afford, but we have a drive in theater near here. I hope to go there sometime this summer.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not sure as I've never checked or compared but I feel as though our theaters offer the same prices all throughout the day. The only difference in prices would probably be in between the different viewing rooms as some might be older or not updated so those tend to be cheaper. Additionally, some of the older cinemas also provide student discounts on off peak hours so this might be the closest we have to what you are saying, as you can just present your ID as a student on a weekday and get a ticket for way lower than standard cost.

4. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    Yup all of the local theaters do have early discounted rates, one every day until 6. Which is pretty generous I think, but it makes it painful to go to the later showings. It's nice to have a reasonably priced theater close by when I see what some of the national chains are starting to charge.

5. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, our major movie theater is open from 9 AM till the late night. The tickets are usually way cheaper, I'd even say twice cheaper. When I was a student I would spend my early hours there. Sometimes I skipped classes only to see some cool movies with my friend. Yeah, that was the time!

I guess almost every decent movie theater does that. They just gotta have enough employees, I guess.

6. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Matinees are great and yes, my local theater has them. I wish I took advantage of them more to be honest. A lot of times we decide to go to movies last second when we are bored on the weekend. If you have a family though, these have to be a life saver as the movies are so expensive these days.

7. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I love going to the movies and I have actually never heard of this matinee thing that you mention. At the movie theater that I go to. The only discount that you can get on a movie is if you have a club card or you come on a Tuesday. On that day they make all movies a flat $6 dollars which I like a lot.

I do take advantage of the joining the club because they have given me a free movie pass, drinks, and popcorn just for scanning it every time I go to the movies.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, the cheaper rate on Tuesday amounts to something similar. The term matinee is generally used to describe daytime or afternoon hours, and frequently offers a lower rate (since most movie theaters are already busier in the evenings). They draw people in this way for the off hours.

I have seen some clubs like that. There are also other types of deals as well. One of the movie theaters we've been to offers daily specials. Sometimes, it will be a discount if you buy two containers of popcorn and two drinks. Other times, you get a bit off if you buy a large popcorn. Stuff like that.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, the movie theaters in my area offer matinee prices. The matinee prices range from $7 - $9 for shows before 5pm. The matinee prices are only for the first showing on the weekends. One big chain offers $7 Tuesdays. I don't go to the movies that often, but it's always for a matinee. Going to the movies can be expensive so I usually opt to watch something on Netflix or my favorite shows. I find them more entertaining than most movies too.

10. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I am lucky enough to have a 10 screen Cinemark ten minutes drive from my home. When we go, it is always at the matinee price. And since there is a Dollar Tree down the sidewalk from the movies, I encourage my family to go there to buy snacks. The snacks at the movies are horribly overpriced.