Does your mood affect how much you spend on fashion?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • May 18, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have plenty of female friends who work in mediocre jobs, but some how sport the latest designer trends. What I noticed is that they use fashion as a way to boost their moods. Acquiring a must-have purse or outfit makes them feel better about themselves. For a while, I fell into this trap, but broke free once I decided to be more fiscally responsible.

Does your mood affect how much you spend on fashion?

2. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    When I am sad, I spend a lot of money on clothing. It is almost like therapy for me. I also spend a lot of money on clothes when I am in a really good me. That is if I have the money to do so.

3. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Spending money on clothing would never boost my mood. Girls are obviously wired differently then guys are. Making money boosts my mood. It never fails. I find it funny how girls will keep buying clothing and not wear a lot of it. My gf has a problem with not even taking the tags off of the clothing that she buys, let alone wear it. When you need a second closet to store your clothing, you've bought too much.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Most definitely, the bad thing is I shop a lot when I am very happy or very sad. So I try to keep my mood steady so I don't buy too much stuff. I shop a lot when I am upset to boost my mood and I shop when I'm really happy because I don't have a care in the world and just want to buy everything I like. I'm trying to save money now so I just don't put myself in those situations, when my mood is one extreme or the other I stay away from stores and online shopping.

5. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    It is best not to feel the need to rely on shopping to boost your mood. The material world is an illusion. Love is all you need to feel happy. Shopping is just a way of you filling the empty space in your life. it is just an illusion.

6. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping doesn't boost my mood AT ALL. Heck, it puts a dampener on my mood! Finding clothes that I like, that are actually in my size and that are comfortable to wear is a tough challenge for me. I could spend hours in a clothing store, and only come away with two items. I'm also not the richest girl in the world, so I don't have all this spare money to drop on clothes whenever I feel like it. I also think some people here need to read "Confessions of a Shopaholic". Because for some people, shopping is literally a addiction.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does. I find that when I'm feeling lonely or pitying myself (which happens more often than it should), I spend more on beauty and fashion items. The last couple of months I spent a lot on that, and now my account is negative because of my poor budget management skills. Needless to say that now I'm penniless, sad and won't be able to buy new fashion and beauty items for a while!

8. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't like going anywhere or do anything if I'm sad, but when I'm happy I definitely want to go out and interact with others. Though, I always set a budget for myself and if I find something that I really want I check the price and ask myself if I really need it. most of the times I don't end up getting something but with that being said I don't think that my mood affects how much I spend. ^.^'

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mood has never influenced me to buy clothes. If I'm feeling good I'd want to be out having fun, not shopping. If I'm feeling blue then the last thing I want to do is meet and talk to people let alone annoying salesmen.

So for me, like most guys, mood hardly affects how I spend my money unless it's in a pub . . .

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's pretty common to go shopping to boost up your mood, but I've never really had it work for me, I just shop for clothes when I really need something new.
    They might feel better at the time, but they would feel better in the long run for not spending frivolously.

11. love_paradise

love_paradiseNew Member

Threads:
    It never works for me, even I am female. I always buy something that I really need. On the contrary, I am not in the mood to buy clothes or accessories when I feel blue. and good mood never strikes me to spend lots of money on fashion, either. I check my purse and think whether it is worth or not before money out.

12. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't boosts my mood for me. Instead shopping is actually one of the things that destroys my mood often :D I get a bit impatient when I can't find clothes that I really like and if I have to search few shops to find one that I'm willing to spend my money on to.

I'm trying to be more patient with shopping because I will eventually need to keep doing this task when my daughter grows bigger and bigger and need a new clothes with a right size every time.

13. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be like that when I was younger. I was very impulsive to buy things and it makes me feel happy whenever I have bought anything, even when it's just a small bottle of nail polish. However, when I reached my 20s and I work hard for the money, I realize that too much shopping does not uplift my mood anymore. I don't find it practical anymore. In fact, it puts me in a grumpier mood whenever I end up buying something I don't really need in the end. I am wiser now when it comes to shopping and I don't use my emotions to shop.

14. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Yes i guess it does,Because when you are spending such amount on clothing or something that has some importance in our daily life this is how that can be taken to another level and that works.
    When you have spent such amount on the latest trends or how you like something that can make you feel good.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it does not just only with fashion but with everything else like foods and other stuff. When I am feeling indifferent, not happy nor sad, I tend to just spend right, not excessive and not lacking, just right. When I am happy, that's the time I overspend. I don't stop spending until all the money that I have is gone, until I don't have money my pocket. When I am using a credit card, I don't stop unless I already feel bad about spending. When I am feeling lonely, I am not buying anything. I just don't like spending. So when I am lonely that's the time I am richest.

16. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Wife is the main clothing shopper and she says the opposite is true - her mood doesn't affect how much she spends on fashion, but how much she spends on fashion definitely affects her mood. I have seen her become elated at finding a few 50 cent skirts at garage sales. On the other hand, if she buys a sweater at the mall for $20, she gets a temporary high while buying it but then feel down about it later and has second thoughts about returning it.

17. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I think not really, although sometimes it really makes you feel good when you are able to buy something for yourself at least. I would say in recent years, I really don't go for shopping for therapy although I do allow myself to get some rewards from time to time.

Retail therapy mindset can be very expensive and if you are not able to control it properly, you can easily end up with things that you don't really need.

18. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I shop when I just need a mood booster. I love walking through the malls. That by itself is a mood booster. Nowadays, I make sure I only one item like some stockings. I try to buy something I can use.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I feel down I definitely get a mood boost when I shop or window shop, but when I do that I don't shop for clothes, I shop for gadgets, since I'm quite fond of them. I think my mood does affect how I shop, but it's not really directed at clothes in general, it's directed at something else.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, my mood definitely affects how much I spend on fashion. When I'm not in the mood, I usually wear the same clothes over and over but when I'm feeling happy and upbeat then I tend to shop a bit more and therefore have more clothes to cycle. However, I do sometimes forcibly wear nice looking clothes to boost my mood and it does work somewhat so I would say that my clothes also affect my mood sometimes, albeit just in a minor way.