Does Your Mood Affect Your Choice of Clothing?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Athenagdlyt • Apr 10, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Beyond the necessity to clothe ourselves, we also have other factors that affect our choices in clothing. Does this happen to you,too? What types of clothes do you wear when you're happy. How about when you feel gloomy?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Ha, ha. I've never thought of wearing different clothes depending on my mood. Maybe it's something I do subconsciously though. I try to wear dark color because I don't want attention, if that's related.

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, yes. And sometimes if I'm really tired or in a bad mood, it also makes me lazy. In these situations, I may not look my best or may not spend a lot of time thinking about my outfit. I think mood does affect what we choose to wear just like it shapes how we act and the other choices that we make. Good topic.

4. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it does. But it varies. For example, sometimes when I'm mad or upset, I'll dress to the nines to feel better about myself. However, sometimes when I'm upset, I just shut down and look terrible because I don't care. Same thing goes for when I'm happy. However, I do think that happiness is displayed outwardly, so no matter what your outfit is, being in a good mood translates.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How I dress depends on the occasion, how I expect the weather to be and the sort of work I'll do during the day. Mood has never been a major determining factor because my mood never changes. You'll find that you can enjoy this equilibrium if you have nothing to make you anxious and don't have to worry about getting yourself clothes to don when you're not feeling so good.

6. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    My mood does effect the way I dress and the way I shop, as well. When I am happy and confident I will select more creative and playful combinations. If I am feeling tense I will usually pick tried and true outfits. I also dress to enhance my mood sometimes. For instance if it is rainy outside and I will be driving or outdoors a lot that day, I will wear brighter colors to try and offset the gloomy weather conditions.

When shopping, I am a little less likely to buy clothes (on impulse) if I feel happy because I don't need the emotional "lift." Looking for that shopper's high makes it easy for me to overspend when I am feeling down. So, I try not to shop for clothes when I am in a bad mood.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My clothing can definitely affect my mood. Whenever I'm feeling down, I wear my favorite outfit. It does give a mood boost. I always feel better when I'm wearing my favorite color and/or look good in my clothing.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My moods definitely are reflected in my clothes. When I feel like I need a break from everyone and everything, I dress in black and withdraw into myself. When I feel energetic and happy, I like to wear bright clothes with patterns. :)

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh yes it does! For jeans for example, I need to be in a specific cheery and patient mood because I just think trying on jeans requires too much work and effort! When I'm happy and feeling thinner I love buying skirts and cute dresses, while when I'm moody I prefer to find large and baggy blouses or more sober shirts.

10. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    Oh 100%. You can usually tell what type of mood I am in by the way I am dressed haha. For example, if I am in a good mood chances are I will be dressed in some nice jeans and a nice shirt, if I am depressed or sad, typically I will wear sweats :)

11. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I would say yes, but I never really thought about it before! But thinking about your question made me realize that yes I do often do this. If I am in a silly mood, I tend to wear something more fun. If I am tired, sick or just feel blah, I tend to not really care what I wear but it is often just a t shirt and jeans (or sometimes just lounge pants.) And when in a good mood and going out, I like to wear something a bit nicer - at least a nicer shirt since I often wear jeans or capris instead of skirts and dresses.

Funny how we dress to reflect our mood and I am sure many of us don't even realize it (I didn't :) )

12. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    No. I do not think my mood effects my decision in clothing.

The thing that affects my decision on what to wear is, the place that i am going. I try to dress appropriately for the activity that i am going to be participating in. My mood is never a factor. it does not affect my fashion sense.

My mood only affects my demeanor, not what i wear.

13. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it certainly does! If it's raining and I feel a bit tired and exhausted I will put on leggings and a cosy hoody but if I feel confident and sexy I will pull out a beautiful outfit and really embrace it :)

14. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I think so...but it can also work the other way. Sometimes I'll fit clothing to match my mood as it is, other times I'll pick clothing to match the mood/"vibe" I'm hoping for that day. Especially if I have something important or especially significant going on at the time.

15. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    Of course! I always dress kinda rocker chic or dark when I'm feeling irritated or sad. If I'm feeling confident I might wear a tight dress or short shorts, and I have to being feeling up for conversation if I'm wearing those types of clothes because they are attention getting. If I'm just normal or bored or not really feeling it I'll just wear jeans and a t shirt just to have on clothes lol jmo :)

16. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    You're right. When I'm in a good mood, I spend more time on myself, fixing up my hair, taking the trouble to apply makeup. When I'm feeling down, I just through something on. That being said, I do like to like to wear bright summery clothes, regardless of my mood. And without even trying, I tend to pick up other people's moods with my bright attire. And then there are times when I wear dark colors to achieve a look that is more slenderizing. Not trying to be a bummer, just trying to look my best.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh my mood has never affected my choice of what to wear. I still wear the same thing. I think I'm only affected in the sense that when I'm bothered, I don't seem to care about my appearance that much.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do tend to dress down when I'm feeling gloomy or just plain lazy, while in some days when I'm feeling a bit more inspired, I'd grab more adventurous clothing items both for wearing or when shopping. I also tend to dress in more neutral colors when I'm feeling down but I always pick colorful clothes when I'm feeling happy or excited. This isn't always the case, though, as I do still wear less fancy or colorful clothes even when I'm happy since always having a cheerful get up just isn't me, but for the most part this is true for me.