Does Your Shampoo Really Make A Difference?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by jackiewbu • Apr 10, 2016.

1. jackiewbu

jackiewbuNew Member

Threads:
    Every time I go to the store I pick out a new shampoo and conditioner in hopes that it will help my hair. Although I'm not really sure if the different types or brands are that much different from each other. The only difference is some conditioners get the tangles out better than others. Though the ones that claim to help damaged hair don't seem to do so. This leads me to the question, does your shampoo and conditioner make a difference? Do you find one bran d actually makes your hair shinier, healthier, etc.?

2. Dilof

DilofMember

Threads:
    I've found a number of products that work on my hair and actually get rid of my dry skin. I'm a male though so it may be different. One of those is T/gel, it really does work against dry scalp. I just use a normal conditioner so can't really comment on whether or not that works, and it's pretty much the only one I use.

3. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with you there! T/Gel has done wonders for my scalp psoriasis! I actually started buying the Wal-Mart brand... works just as good and is almost $5 cheaper!

4. Dilof

DilofMember

Threads:
    Unfortunately there's no Wal-mart in the UK and it'd be pretty costly to ship those products here, so I'll just stick to the T/Gel. I actually haven't had to use it much lately as the results have lasted a long while. Here's to hoping I won't have these skin troubles anymore.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My shampoo and conditioner does make a difference. I have tried so many with no good results for years. I did find one that I've been using for 2 years now and I get the best results from them. It's expensive and developed for women only but I love it. I will share what I read in a magazine. It stated that switching shampoo and condition from time to time is not bad at all because it gives your hair the opportunity to react to the different ingredients whether the results are good or bad is a different story.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some shampoo can be so harmful to your hair it does make a big difference. The harsh shampoo can strip the oils out of your hair leaving your hair dry, brittle and hard to manage. It could take a long time to get your hair back to a healthy stage. I have had to cut my hair off to get it back to a good condition from bad shampoo.

7. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I normally only use Sunsilk products. However, now and then, I do try other brands, just to see what they have to offer, especially if there is a discount. So far, dollar for dollar, I still find that Sunsilk works best for my hair. True, I have tried other brands which work just as well, but they cost more. So, in the end, I come back to my favourite brand, Sunsilk.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a fixed shampoo preference but yes, there are shampoo brands that produce better results than others. Specific types of shampoo are good for dry hair too compared to the regular commercialized brands you see out there. For instance, in the past I always used shampoos with egg lanolin but due to expediency, we haven't bought them in years. I loved how egg lanolin made my curly hair less fluffy and more luscious. These days, I use Dove, Hana, Rejoice, Palmolive and Sunsilk shampoo and conditioner products.

Because they do not have egg lanolin, my hair continues to be fluffy even after shampooing. I just use hair mousse to lessen the fluff and give it more body.

9. Jani

JaniNew Member

Threads:
    It is very important use the right product.
    Some big name brands we buy in store does not fit the createria for really being the best product for your hair and sculp. They use alot of products,like salt, to make it more bubbley and so on. It's important that you read the label and make sure the pH balance is right. That is why salon quilaty products are much more expensive,but if you take time and browse in shops and read labels you'll be able to find a great shampoo and conditioner with the right pH balance for cheap. Like protiene feed and Kair.

I found one with the perfect balance and now my hair and sculp is happy aswell as my wallet.

10. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I change shampoo all the time and really do not notice any difference in my hair. It is frustrating and a lot of shampoos are extremely expensive. Sometimes, I will buy a shampoo because I like the scent of it versus what it can do for my hair. I do have to use a dandruff shampoo once in a while but I will use a generic brand if the name brand is not on sale or I do not have a coupon for it.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it does to a certain extent. I know my hair looks a lot better when I use one of the more expensive brands as opposed to the dirt cheap brands. The Aussie brand which is only about 3 dollars is a pretty good brand I think, and it is not outrageously expensive. I don't think it is necessary to buy top of the line salon brands.

12. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    I've been using Johnson's Baby Moisture Wash Vanilla Oatmeal (Johnson & Johnson), as my shampoo and body wash for several years. I don't buy a special shampoo. I have sensitive skin. The label To Use directions state: Wet baby's hair and body with warm water, etc. I like it a lot because I find you don't need to use a lot of it. A little goes a very long way and that makes it economical. I buy it in the 28 oz size. baby.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used a lot of shampoo brands over the years, and I also have not noticed any difference when it comes to my hair, with the exception of the smell. Some brands actually make me get dandruff all of a sudden the first time I used them, so I made it a point to not buy that brand afterwards.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, there are some that make a difference, but a lot of the time if you have "normal" hair you will able to use cheaper shampoos and conditioners without really having to worry about it. I know that I buy things that are £1 a bottle, and they will always last me for at least a month, if not longer. Shampoo simply isn't something that I would really like to spend money on.

15. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I've been experimenting with the "no poo" (no shampoo) regimen and it's interesting to see how your hair responds over the course of a few days -> weeks. Of course, you do wash your hair from time to time with shampoo and I suppose after being on the no poo regimen you take even more notice of just how much oil shampoos actually strip from your hair -- it tends to feel much dryer and lack lustre. Conditioner is supposed to help remedy that, but even then I'd argue that your natural oils tend to give off a better appearance and feeling.

I wouldn't say there's much of a difference between shampoos, but I think there is for conditioners.

16. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    It's a matter of experimentation. Usually, one particular brand works well for one person, while a totally another one works well for another. After a lot of trials, I found that Garnier products worked well for me. I also found that j&j baby shampoos also worked well. And when it comes to soap, anything that is translucent works well for my skin, I believe because of the glycerin content. Anyways, so those are the kinds of products that work well for me.

But, I have to say, hair care does not stop at shampoos, conditioners, and all. I lived in the Dubai for a while and even with the same products my hair starting falling because the water quality wasn't good. What came to the rescue was this oil that had like almond extracts and what not. Until then I had never tried putting oil on my hair, but I was desperate and it worked. I would use oil twice a week and it made all the difference. So, make sure you try different products and lock down the ones that work for you.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it makes a difference in that many of them contain a lot of nasty chemicals that can't be good for your hair or scalp. I used to use baby shampoo, because my hair would often get really dry, especially during the winter months.

Recently, I picked up a bottle of Head and Shoulders for dry scalp, with aloe. I don't have dandruff, but I thought the dry scalp formula might be good.It was on sale, so I figured what the heck. I love this shampoo. It doesn't even contain a built in conditioner, but my hair feels smoother and is less tangled than if I did add conditioner.

While other brands may be just as good or better (it may just be the addition of aloe), I really like this shampoo. Bonus that I don't also have to purchase separate conditioner.

18. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I always thought that shampoo didn't make any difference until I bought a certain shampoo a few months back when it was on offer and I found that my head no longer itches after I've had a shower. I was always told by my doctor it was just the water here that does that and there's nothing I can do about it basically because it's in the water, aside from buying bottled water and boiling that to use for showers. Well, this shampoo has stopped all of that for me and now I can just shower normally! So for me it really does make a difference!

19. Kezmumtotwo

KezmumtotwoNew Member

Threads:
    I think that shampoo doesn't really make any difference to the softness, shine or overall strength of hair. So long as it cleanses the hair gently without causing excessive drying it will do. I've tried many shampoos and even used the baby's shampoo when I've ran out and it has never made a difference. I think the vital component in shiny,strong,soft and manageable hair has to be the perfect conditioner. Conditioners have to suit your hair type and not even then is it one size fits all. I think you just have to trial and error to find the ones that suit you and that work for you. For me personally it's Argan oil conditioners. I also must make sure I only put it in the lengths and ends, if a single drop touches my roots then that's it! Greasy hair!

20. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I think the shampoo I'm using works better for my hair than some others. I have had experiences with some shampoos which have left my hair very dry and unmanageable. I like the Neutrogena shampoo which I use once year to help get rid of build up from styling products. I also use conditioner every day which seems to help keep my hair from being a flyaway mess. I also like the Argan oil conditioners. I've tried coconut oil as a conditioner and seems to do a fairly decent job as well as leaving your hair smelling like sunscreen.