Does Your Shampoo Really Make A Difference?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by jackiewbu • Apr 10, 2016.

1. Kezmumtotwo

KezmumtotwoNew Member

Threads:
    I love the smell of sunscreen! You've actually just triggered a memory of some shampoo I once had as a child that smelled just like sunscreen and camomile. How odd! Wow shampoo memories!

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does make a difference, but it depends on your hair type, length, and also your environment. If you are in the city all of the time, you will need a good cleansing shampoo, and also if you use styling products or blow dry your hair.

You don't have to spend too much, but some shampoo suits others better. I've used cheap and expensive, and it's not always about cost, but what works for you.

3. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried many different shampoos over the years because I like to try out the different brands. I have discovered that one or two of them have made a difference in the way my hair looks and feels, giving it nice body and bounce too. However, I have never stuck to one brand. I like my shampoos to be nicely scented too, so that has a lot to do with my choice. Price is also another consideration. I tend to stay away from the expensive brands. I always read the labels on the bottle carefully before choosing a shampoo too, since I try to stay away from shampoos that would have a drying effect on my hair.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, shampoo used to be a status symbol. For teenagers, getting the most expensive shampoo means class. But when I became an adult, I realized that shampoo has its purpose on the hair. When my hair started thinning, I was in search of a good shampoo, one that would also combat budding dandruff. Johnson's shampoo is it for me. It gives good results on my hair that is now normal and no more dandruff too.

5. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I have lush hair and don't use shampoo. I clean my hair with acid based cleaners, keep myself generally clean, wash my hair with water and condition it with simple organic oils. Works great :D!

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Yes it does! When I buy cheap shampoo it gives me really bad dandruff or it strips all of the oils out of my hair and then my hair is itching like crazy. I like to buy good stuff that just cleans it, but leaves all of the natural oils in my hair so that I do not get split ends or breakage.

7. Kezmumtotwo

KezmumtotwoNew Member

Threads:
    Sorry to sound naive, but what exactly is an acid based cleaner? I'm picturing something horrific! I've never heard of that!
    I recently read something called the curly girl method to help your hair be its natural style and in that they explain how you don't use anything to actually wash your hair and
    Avoid sulphates at all cost. It said you just condition the hair and that that in itself is enough to cleanse it. I haven't tried it, it scared me abit! I'm a slave to my routine!

8. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    My shampoo definitely makes a difference! I would usually get the cheapest I could get without it being a terrible one and not care what happened but then my hair started falling off. This went on for a couple of months until I caved in and switched brands. My hair not only grows way faster not but also looks shinier and healthier. I have noticed though that the amount of time I use a specific brand also affects the healthiness. I have to usually switch brands every few months.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must admit I buy what's on sale...when I walk into Walmart and there's an .88 VO5 shampoo for voluminous hair I buy it. I like Suave shampoos on sale too. I bought Fructis shampoo and it's good too. I only buy shampoos on sale. Sometimes I buy Baby Shampoo from Walmart for it's cheap for summer months because I wash daily sometimes. I find that I too buy new brands hoping to get the right shampoo for me.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you to a certain extent. The actual shampoo doesn't really make a lot of difference comparing brands. Some might make your hair more brassy and frizzy, while some m can make your scalp oilier. But in general, they work practically the same.
    What I do notice a difference is with conditioner. I like heavy conditioners that I put on my ends and helps them look healthier. Depending on the conditioner, if it's not good it can make your ends really ugly looking. With all that said, I don't stress over buying high end and expensive shampoo and conditioner. Usually Tresemme and Pantene are good enough for me.

11. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I would tend to agree with some of the other users above in that I can tell more of a difference in conditioner than in shampoo, but I think that there is a noticeable difference, and I think that it usually comes down to the scent. I cannot really tell which one works better but I can tell which one smells better.

12. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, the type of shampoo you use definitely makes a difference. I try to stay way from those cheap $1 bottles of shampoo/body wash. They tend to dry my hair out and make it look unhealthy. For the most part, you get what you pay for in regards to shampoo. As with most products. Typically I use Pantene Pro V. Makes my hair look healthy, and runs around $5 per bottle in most stores. It's worth it though.

13. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I don't generally change shampoos because I've found one that works well for me: Pantene Pro V Repair & Protect. It's under five dollars so I think it's a great value for the product! It really does protect and has repaired my split ends. All throughout high school I had hideous split ends and my hair was all dull even though I never curled it or straightened it or anything. I had been using OGX Japanese Cherry Blossom shampoo which smells really good, but it did not help my hair. As soon as I switched to Pantene I saw the difference. Now my hair is long, silky, and I have no split ends! Strong is beautiful xD

14. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    I have oily hair that tangles easily. I have used expensive shampoos and I have used cheap shampoos. I really cannot tell a huge difference in how my hair turns out with either. I prefer cheaper shampoos that have a built in conditioner so that there are less tangles. However, recently I have been using a coconut VO5 shampoo without a conditioner and I really love how it leaves my hair feeling and smelling. it is usually around $1-$1.50 a bottle so that makes it even better.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, my shampoo makes a real difference! So I'm very careful to buy the right type. I have very coarse, chemically treated hair that requires a lot of TLC, including a lot of moisture. For this reason, I have to ensure that anything I use doesn't strip out my oils and dry my hair further. I tend to go for expensive shampoo and have to pair it with the conditioner that goes with it to get the full benefits. I absolutely have to have products that help with taming the frizz. **deep sigh** my hair types is TOO MUCH work!

16. George Marklin

George MarklinNew Member

Threads:
    I think many of the claims made by shampoo manufactures are very borderline true, but I think the main attribute of hair shampoo is scalp(for those that claim scalp treatment) and hair cleaning.. I may be wrong but beyond the two I mention, I don't think there is great value in the other claims.

17. forest_kitten

forest_kittenNew Member

Threads:
    I have used every kind of brand of shampoo/conditioner imaginable. I keep thinking that finding the right brand will finally fix all of my hair issues, so I read reviews and try free samples and discuss it with my friends. Ultimately, most shampoos and conditioners produce a very similar effect. At this point, I've stuck with the L'Oreal line and I get different scents every once in a while to mix it up.

I do remember reading about shampoo fatigue some time ago - the best results supposedly come not from the type of hair products you are using, but from switching your hair products around every once in a while. Supposedly, you hair gets used to the product you are using and whatever effects the product is supposed to have on your hair are no longer as pronounced as they could be. I do notice that when I pick up a new product, it works much better the first few times.

I'm not really sure what to make of it, so I will continue my search for the perfect shampoo/condition combo until the magic happens!

18. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried different brands of shampoo and in the end, I just abandon them in search of a new one. Why? Well at first they work great, my hair is soft, shiny and silky. But after a few months of using them, they would suddenly stop working and I would have to change my shampoo brand again. Is this the shampoo fatigue?

From what I've read, we also need to use clarifying shampoo once in a while. This way, we can get rid of product buildup on our hair. And maybe we can use our favourite shampoo once again after this. However, I have yet to find clarifying shampoos here. I tried and scoured every shelf in the shampoo aisle but cannot seem to find it.

I have also tried organic shampoo brands but sadly, they make my hair worse. My hair got tangled and was super dry when I was using them. So I just switched to commercial brands of shampoos which smell great and make my hair softer.

19. Naturalbeauty92

Naturalbeauty92New Member

Threads:
    I own over 35 shampoos and conditioners but many are from the same product line. I only use natural products now because they are sulfate free and paraben free. When looking for shampoos you don't want one that strips your hair of all its natural oils. My conditioners contains a lot of natural oils and usually Shea butter. Garnier whole blends, Shea moisture, VO5 and a few others are great. Also try using cowashes. They are conditioners with shampoo properties to clean your hair and moisturize it at the same time.

20. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy fancy gimmicky shampoos made from almonds, flowers or any cute stuff you can think of. I buy a jar of cheap shampoo instead, with strawberry scent or just plain white. It works just as fine as using expensive "beauty enhancing" and "leave your hair softer than silk" shampoos.