Does Your Shampoo Really Make A Difference?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by jackiewbu • Apr 10, 2016.

1. juulicob

juulicobNew Member

Threads:
    Since all our bodies react differently to certain chemicals and ingredients, it's always a struggle to find the perfect balance. I can take my sister's recommendations for shampoo, and my mother's, but I never stuck with them longer than a usual trial period of 3 months. Just last month, I decided that it was such a hassle to find the "right" shampoo, and got so overwhelmed so I turned against shampoo all together! I have been using a combination of baking soda and water. Just spray it on my hair, wet or dry, scrub it and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Honestly, it's been working fine for over a month so far. My hair feels clean and I could style it, just as well as when I used shampoo. The best thing about it is that I'm only using one chemical, as opposed to the many that basic or salon shampoos use. Some shampoos will strip your hair of it's natural oils, thus creating the supply and demand effect. More oil, more washes, repeat. Spend too much cash on handful of brands of shampoo where all the ingredients are usually the same.

2. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, I've noticed some difference between the ones I use. Some of the them leave a more charming smell on my hair, others don't. Some of them make me cry in the shower right away If touch it eye, others don't. Also, they all have different characteristics.

At the moment I'm using the one for weakened hair and it helps me keep it stronger.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried many different shampoos to find one that I really like and still haven't found one that makes my hair feel silky smooth and detangles. So for me it's about price and smell now. I look for shampoos on sale and that are geared for curly hair. i'm trying to only wash my hair every other day to see if this makes a difference with my hair. I've heard that when you wash your hair every day you are washing out the natural oils in your hair and drying out your scalp. I know I will save on shampoo by doing this too.

4. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I do the same thing. Anytime I need to buy more shampoo and conditioner I choose a different type and brand to see which works better for my hair, everyone has different types of hair so some that work for one might not work for the next person. But I have found that garner fruits, pantine and head and shoulders work well for my hair. I have very long hair and it is a bit damaged from coloring and it's thick and these worked wonders for it. I can see the change in my hair. I hope you find the right one for you.

5. RElizabeth

RElizabethNew Member

Threads:
    It took me years to finally find the right shampoo and conditioner that did make a difference with my hair. My hair is curly and I damaged it by straightening it a lot, and I have seen improvement just in not doing that. Then I starting using DevaCurl, which is a brand of styling products made just for curly hair. It is expensive, but out of all of the brands I've tried, it works the best for my hair and I love it, so it's well worth it to me! A lot of shampoos/conditioners all worked exactly the same with no improvement before I found it, so I think it really is about just finding what works for your hair.

6. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I think how well a shampoo works on your hair depends upon a few things. First, the quality of the shampoo definitely comes into play. There are some shampoos that are just so poorly made that they won't do anything to improve anything about your hair. Secondly, you need to choose a shampoo that is right for your type of hair and what you want it do do. For instance, I use a shampoo that has smoothing properties and it greatly influences how well my hair comes out when I use my straightening iron. Those two things I feel are the most important considerations when choosing a shampoo that you will be happiest with!

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I haven't really tried that much to notice if it has any healthier benefits than most other brands as I usually just use my preferred brand and when I am not at home I just use whatever is available. For the most part I just like the benefits of my shampoo because it cools off my scalp due to it being mint so that part I like very much but otherwise I don't thin it really gives that much of a difference that no other shampoo can provide but I do consider the fact that it is mint and that it cools off my scalp to be a very appealing aspect.

8. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    Naturally you don't need shampoo, basic soaps would do you justice. You only buy shampoo, and these other things you use for your hair with strong chemicals in them to make the natural state of your hair turn into something else, effectively killing your hair as you get older.

When you use shampoo for so many years, after stopping, you'll notice how rough or un-natural your hair looks without the shampoo. This creates the incentive for these companies to keep creating products for you to use so that shampoo becomes your hairs natural state. You don't need it, and if you want to use shampoo, get something that is very simple on the hair, natural stuff.

9. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    The only product that made a difference for my hair was Biolage. I could afford it when i was single, but not now.

10. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Contrarily, I think other way. Soaps are manufactured for skin, where as shampoos are for hair. Its not true that only shampoo contains chemicals, soaps are also made from chemicals. It may be true that the manufactures are only trying to attract customers and in doing so they have deceptive ads, but shampoo are for hair and soaps are for skin.

11. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    Having really thick, dry, curly hair means that I need a good conditioner. I love the conditioner by Morrocan Oil, but because it can be really expensive, I usually buy the Suave Almond and Shea Butter conditioner (and shampoo). I don't use shampoo very often because my hair is so dry, so I don't really find a necessity for shampoo.

12. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I actually got into a similar discussion the other day with one of my friends while we were out shopping. I grabbed the cheap stuff, the off brand stuff, and she made a little comment. Nothing critical or anything, but she mentioned how she goes with the brand name and I said that I could not tell the difference. I just think that was a good little summary of the whole issue...some people can tell a difference, some cannot, so I guess it really depends on which kind of person you are.

13. shcoo

shcooMember

Threads:
    Every time I switch to a different shampoo, it feels amazing and makes my hair softer, but then it seems like my hair builds up a "tolerance" to the product. It stops being impressive and I have to try another.

14. WantToSave

WantToSaveNew Member

Threads:
    I read an interview with a top hairdresser before and he actually said its been known for a long time that shampoo is not good for your hair or your skin. He was working to develop an alternative I think, I looked for article there but couldn't find it. Maybe some people read the same article and can comment.

15. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    It does make a difference to me. I've tried several shampoos, some have been more expensive than others, but the one that works best for me is Pantene. I have waist length hair and even if I didn't curl it or dye it or do anything to it, I would get terrible split ends. I endured split ends for years until I happened to try Pantene Repair and Protect. It worked wonders for my hair and now I have no split ends and I love my hair.

16. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    Really? And I was thinking why my hair are so dry and my scalp feels weird. I have used Tigi Bed Head shampoo and this is pretty harsh I think.
    Maybe I have same problem as you. :(

17. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    I agree with some of the posters that a long term use of a harsh brand can eventually make hair dry and brittle if it is too harsh. I always go for the cheapest shampoos from the dollar general shelf. I will not under any circumstance spend five dollars for shampoo. I look for something under two dollars, and preferably a dollar or less. However the cheapest brands are sometimes not the best brands, and it took me a while to find what will work for my hair type.If I wanted to spend more for shampoo I would be going for brands like Pantene and Aussie Moist. They both seem so nice! I consider spending that much to wash my hair unreasonable though.
    As much as I loved the initial bouncy volume I got from Suave shampoo, over the long term, my hair became more damaged from the lack of oils. Perhaps I could have balanced that with more conditioner. White rain products felt like they left my hair covered in a film for some reason. It felt heavier, and less bouncy. White Rain also seemed to make my scalp have flakes sometimes, which is unusual for me. It may not do that for other people at all. Perhaps I was just sensitive to the fragrance in it or something. The V05 shampoo has become my personal favorite. V05 meets my price requirement. It is usually a dollar or less. I also like the overall effect. My hair seems conditioned and shiney. V05 doesn't seem to have the negative effects that caused me to stop using the other cheap brands. It isn't overly drying or overly greasy either. My hair does not seem weighed down or sticky. There is no residual film, the suds rinse out nicely, and the conditioner is fantastic.
    I think shampoo is one of those things that can work great for one person and not for another. We all have different sensitivity levels to fragrances. We all have different hair types- from fine to course, straight to curly, and dry to oily. What is perfect for me may not work for you. I just wanted to second the fact that something can seem fantastic for a few weeks, but be drying or damaging in the long term.