Does Your Touch Screen Device Become Unresponsive When You Use It While Charging?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sidney • Sep 24, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always notice that when I'm using my touch screen phone (an Xperia model) while I am charging it, sometimes it works ok, but at some point it will start executing commands that I did not press or the touch screen does not respond. So when that happens I remove the charging cable and I will wait until the phone locks itself. After that when I swipe it, it works just fine again and the touch screen is already responsive. If it hung, then I will just switch the phone off and turn it on back again. So I'm just wondering if it also happens to your device? I bought this phone 2nd hand so it did not come with an original charger, but the USB cable is original, so I'm just using a universal battery charger to charge it. I don't know if me not using an original charger is the cause, so I would like to know your experiences.

2. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    Not really but my Windows Phone did that back then. I thought my phone was busted because the screen becomes unresponsive which it didn't do before but I realized it was the charger that causes the problem. Something about the USB cable or electrical surge or something. It's not advisable to use your phone while charging anyway, said to ruin your battery quickly.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have a touchscreen HP laptop that is unresponsive and then I use the touch screen to get it to work again. I hate it when charging mode ruins the functionality of a device! You should still be able to use the product.

4. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I never had that happen to me. It sounds weird though, I mean usually those things happen if something is wrong with your device of the charger. Try changing chargers maybe it's the source of the problem or maybe it's just your phone's way of saying "Don't use me just yet!".

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Harlek@Harlek, So is it safe to say now that charging and using touch screen phones at the same time may make the touch screen malfunction or unresponsive? I thought it's because I was using a diff. charger, but if you also experience it then it must be the charging itself that's the problem!

@beccagreen@beccagreen, I have no other charger except for the universal battery charger and my PC's's CPU, so I can't test it on an original charger to see if it will happen as well. Maybe such phones are meant to be used only when not plugged in. But still.. I'm trying to save time, so instead of waiting 2 hours, why not use it while charging right? Maybe certain models are more prone than others to experience this.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I have never had this happen to me on my phone, although it always tells me to switch the phone off for charging LOL I do switch it off most times, but if I'm in the middle of texting or whatsapping someone, or I'm expecting a call, I leave it on while on charge and can go about anything I'm doing without any problems.

7. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I am using an iPhone 5s and this has never happened to me. I don't know if Xperia phones has this issue with them. Have you tried asking around with other people using the same phone? Sometimes, it is just an issue with the manufacturer or brand itself. Other times, through usage and time, the phone just deteriorates.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Briannagodess@Briannagodess, This is the 2nd Xperia that I have used, but I can't remember if I tried using the first one while charging. The phone is not with me anymore, so I can't test it. I will only be able to confirm what causes it once I get hold of an original charger for this unit. I bought this unit still looking mint and with zero scratches. I was told the phone was only used to listen to music, and it looks like it.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a really older Nokia, and in the beginning it never used to freeze at all. It was a very smooth operating smartphone, but as it has gotten older, and endured more accidental drops, and eroding swelling battering, it has slowed as far as the user interface, considerably. It freezes often, and is unresponsive until I take the battery out, and turn it back on again. It does appear to be centered around plugging the charger in or taking it out at times though.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would be really careful with using a third party charger with your phone like that. I had the exact same issue with my original Motorola Droid years ago, and it ultimately permanently damaged the phone to the point where it was happening even when not plugged into the faulty charger. I'm not sure what exactly was different about the non-factory charger to cause problems like that, but I won't take chances any more, since these phones are not cheap. I would rather spend the money on a factory charger made for my phone than have to replace an entire seven hundred dollar phone.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Theoretically you should still be able to use your phone while charging. Maybe the battery was so low it couldn't function. Using other chargers can affect how long it takes to recharge, so it's hard to say, but I can't see why you can't swipe at all.

Knowing your history wit phones, there could be other issues though and a software issue if there was any tampering.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    it never used to happen, but when my phone battery used to die, I used to be able to press the power button and have it come back on for a short period of time before it would go off again. But I cannot do that anymore, unless I plug the charger into it as soon as the battery dies. It is strange. I think it is battery damage.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @ohiotom76@ohiotom76, I read that you should read the energy output of the battery charger and the USB cables too when you are using a 3rd party charger if it's compatible, and the cable is actually stressed that it should be original as much as possible, so at least the item in question would be the phone or the charger.

@Theo@Theo, Well, so far from my experience if you mess with the hardware the effect shows hours later if it's tampered. The phone works fine though except for that charging part. It always happens even if it's low in charge, halfway or about to be full, at one point touching the screen confuses it and executes commands I did not enter. I must press the power button to turn the light off and on again then voila, it locks itself then I can now swipe and use it again. I always buy phones anyway, so when the time is right I might be able to get hold of an original charger to test this one out.

@DreekLass@DreekLass, I think the phone's batt was really drained, that is indicated by it's refusal to turn on. Wait a bit like 30 mins., it sometimes gets a bit of energy from being idle and will power on for a few seconds when you press it on.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    I had initially thought that but then was able to deduce that that was not the case, because when I had my old battery - the one that came with the phone - and the battery used to die, I could still turn it on even after the battery had signaled that it was drained and turned my phone off. But with this new battery, sometimes I am not able to turn it back on without plugging the charger back in. Other times I am.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, If that's the case then I think the replacement battery that you bought was just inferior to the original battery. Sometimes the battery gets so drained even the charger won't recognize it, so you also have to have a universal battery charger to force charge that severely drained battery, that has happened a few times to me because my phones get broken so the battery ends up not being used, then it's either I get a new phone with the same battery or the phone got fixed, and the batt won't get charged. So the universal battery charger takes care of the initial charging.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a similar issue with my Xperia phone and I've heard several other people talk about this issue too. Some say that it's because the phone is using all its capability to charge up and doesn't have the strength to respond to touch as well. That's a bit pants though, surely you should be able to use your phone whilst it's charging?

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So it's not just only me then who's experiencing such issues, but the whole population of Xperia users. Which model do you use? I plan to buy their latest release too, the Xperia E4, so hopefully they would have fixed the problem by this time! It's such a shame that a company as large and as established as Sony have this issue.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    That is a good point. I purchased the replacement battery from Amazon, and I made sure that I got one that was not already used, but for all I know it still could have been a used one. The replacement battery that I bought was the same model and make as the one that came with the phone originally, but it has been less than a year that I have had it and I am already having problems, whereas with the original battery, it took over five years for it to start acting up.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does not exactly get unresponsive when I am charging it. Right now it is charging and I can use it normally. But it will every now and then have an issue where I cannot use the touchscreen at all and I have to restart the whole phone. And it is weird because it is an iPhone 6, so you wouldn't expect this to happen as regularly as it does.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure that the quality is just inferior if it's brand new or it's just used. You can easily tell if the battery is used if the gold part has that silver mark like the lines on the sim card when it rubs on the phone? Most batteries tend to have that once it's inserted in a phone, so try to remember how it looked like when you first opened the package, if ever you noticed that part.